Sources of text block paper?

Hi everyone! :)
I'm what you'd call a bookbinding hobbyist. My materials come from many different sources, most are recycled or scrap (fabric, leather, buttons, etc.), and are probably not archival.

I've tried a few different papers, purchased in full reams from Amazon.com, but I don't think I've found "the one" yet. The biggest factor in my paper is value; finding the highest quality paper for the best price. I like to use relatively thick drawing paper like you'd find in sketchbooks and drawing pads from an art supply store, because many of my books are intended as art journals and sketchbooks. I like to put a lot of paper (or at least what I think is a lot) in my books, without breaking the bank.

So my question for all of you is: where do you get your paper? Should I keep searching on Amazon, or is there a tried-and-true supply company with quality "cheap" filler paper? 20lb printer paper is out of the question.

Thanks in advance for your input!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
8 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Sources of text block paper?

I have the same question! We're also new the bookbinding craft, and searching for paper options for our journals has been rather confusing and overwhelming. No one has any suggestions?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I get mine online at dickblick.com. Even with shipping (and keep in mind, I'm in ALASKA-- it's hard to get anything shipped to me for cheap!) it ends up being fairly well priced, and the customer service is really good.

I agree with you about the printer paper! I love Mi-Teintes 98lb drawing papers... it's heavy enough to stand up to gluing and painting, and it looks so good in the finished book! It's really heavy, but it's my favorite. :)
0 Likes

I'm looking for paper, too. :(

I want lined paper (college or narrow ruled), unpunched. Frankly, I don't think it exists. If I find a college or narrow rule, it is already hole-punched. If it is not hole-punched, it is wide ruled (or 3/8", which is just as bad).

The only thing I've found that comes close is distributed by a company (Rhino Stationery) in the UK which does not ship to the US.

At this point, I'm interested in nearly any weight and size, because I can cut it down if needed. I even looked for thick fancy letter writing paper.

You don't have to reveal your sources, but can anyone tell me if there is such a thing, and maybe a key word to search? I've tried hours and hours of different searches, words, combinations.

Or does everyone print their own lined paper?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

If you have a printer, I can imagine that there's a downloadable template out there somewhere, so that you could print your own.
0 Likes

Yes, but I really don't want to use that kind of ink for the amount of paper I need. When my paper comes out of my printer (laser), it also has a little bit of a curl to it, so it's not really suitable for bookmaking.

It might be I'm the only one with that problem, though, as I've seen lots of books on here I suspect have printed out paper!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I haven't tried it, so I don't know how I would go about it. I would think that most people get them custom printed (or do it themselves) to fit the size of the pages they're using for the books. Not all of us make our volumes in "standard" sizes. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!
0 Likes

You could try http://www.paper-papers.com/
They have some really nice paper, but you have to print it yourself. I make my own templates, and then print what I need...
0 Likes

Try the French Paper Company. Established in 1871, the French Paper Company is a sixth generation, family-owned, all-American company.

http://www.frenchpaper.com/
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.