Former_Member
Not applicable

Sharing Beginnings~Closing Shop, Now Trying Again

People are always inspired by others, and I think it would be a tremendous boost for us all to share how we got started, and what we've learned along the way.

For me, I started jewelry making a few years ago, when I was looking at these earrings I had had for awhile, and I realized how easy it would be to make them. My mom had encouraged me to try jewelry making, so I started shopping around for good suppliers.

I began making pieces, very simple ones at first, and I fell in love with the craft. I opened a shop late 2010, but it turned out to be a bust. I had lousy pictures, most of them--and not much to show for a craft. I didn't advertize. Like so many others, I just thought someone would drop by, see how cute my pieces were, and buy some. But that didn't happen. Not once.

So, I closed shop. There were other issues that led to me closing shop, but those are not important. Bad business does a business in, and that was the crux of it. So after that I continued to look at designs, making jewelry for friends and family, getting beading magazines, etc.--when late last year I decided I was ready to give it another try.

So I got to work. I set up a blog, again studied rules for setting up a business, and how to operate--I followed numerous blogs (which I still follow, and learn from every day) and I work work worked at designing my items, my blog, and studying some more. I study every day, almost literally.

And today--I did more work. I'm in the middle of prep, as those who read the about page would know, and I drew up a list of the first items I'm going to be having in my shop. Opening day is set for May 1st. I refined my shopping list on my favorite supplier's site. I worked on my budget, planned expenses. Checked prices. Made purchases. This morning I wrote my blog post for tomorrow, so that is taken care of. And yesterday I set up a facebook page, for my shop. It's all on an on-going process!

And with all this preparation, I really hope it pays off come opening time!

So how did you start? And if you're an aspiring designer, what are your plans?
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
19 Replies

Re: Sharing Beginnings~Closing Shop, Now Trying Again

I started the same way. I needed some jewelry and couldn't find the right one. I'm a crafter all my life so I thought why not try to make some jewelry myself-:)
I did, and I loved it! Then I found Etsy. It takes really some time to sell an item. The thing with selling jewelry on Etsy is that there are so many shops with jewelry, so it is hard to stand out. Yes, I do promote, I have a Twitter account, a Facebook page, Google+, Google bookmarks, once in a while I have a giveaway. Last year I sold more than the year before, and this year I think it will be better than last year (fingers crossed). I do also have a website. But the last year and january 2013 I had in total 3 surgeries (herniated discs), so I neglected my website because I had to make jewelry too. But the most important thing is that you have to have fun in what you are doing and not just have shop to make some money, that won't work.

Sorry for my English writing, I'm Dutch (The Netherlands).

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hello,
I am new to the team (30 seconds ago), everything I do, I do with a passion! I wish I weren't so driven sometimes-like at 2 a.m. this morning. I love researching and buying as much as I love selling. I feel staying active keeps me young. I am a retired jewelry executive...I adore the vintage craftmanship and promote it in my shop.
Thank you for having me on this team.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

So happy to see you guys here! I'm so happy to have other passionate people joining the team--we definitely need that! Passion is the juice of life. (Just made me think of passionfruit..and no, that was not intended as a lame joke!) ;D

Here we'll be doing all we can to support one another, and make fast friendships! So happy to see you here!!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hi everyone. My name is Mechelle from Sewchele Planet. I'm not new to Etsy but I'm starting over with new shop and new direction. I've been here about 2 years under the "Crafting Cave" just selling sewing patterns. I want to do more. So my new shop will have all the handmade things I love to make. Right now I'm adding just the patterns, first. I'm waiting for my brand, size and care labels to come.
I'm excited about pushing my shop to a new level of participation on my part. I've been setting daily, weekly, monthly and yearly goals since I started on Etsy. This years goal is to bring "Sewchele Planet" to full power and to make something I am proud to sell to others. My overall goal is to make this a success venture. I'm already retired but I would like to make the same amount of money I did will I was working.
My shop banner is being made as we speak. My blog will be up and going soon..
0 Likes

Hey everyone. This is my 2cnd Etsy shop. I started off with just an art shop where I sold original canvases, paintings on wood, and prints. It didn't take very long to see that Etsy is really not the best venue for original artwork. My prints did ok and some of my smaller canvases, but frankly I was getting bored.

To understand that statement better a little about me. I was raised by an artist whose sisters were also artists and all around creative people. I was surrounded by women who were constantly trying new mediums, ideas etc and I fell in love with the experimental process. Much of the creative part of my life has been seeing something I like and figuring out how to do it. I am not big on schools although I have taken courses. I prefer the hands on approach.

Although my degree is in marketing I actually spent much of my career as an interior designer. I was given an opportunity by a high end furniture store in my area to create rooms for clients. It took a year of me doing these rooms before they actually hired me. Worked there almost 10 years and then went off on my own and started my own design business. Did that for 5 years until I met and married my second hubby and had my youngest daughter...then became a stay at home mom. She is now 15. A couple years ago I decided I needed to get back to work. Considered reopening my design business but the economy had already tanked and very few people were looking for interior designers. That is when I learned about Etsy.

So after a year of my other shop, and my increasing boredom, I decided to change things up and add jewelry. I started off selling art pendants of my own designs. I couldn't believe how quickly they took off. My sales which had been pretty few and far between became more frequent. That was almost a year ago. Since that time I started playing with making other types of jewelry. It is something I had never done before but was always on my bucket list to try. After a slow start I actually had the best Christmas season since being on Etsy for 3 Christmas. So it sold me on selling jewelry. Since I like a challenge I decided to go after a certain type of jewelry...something I would wear. I thought back to my fave aunt (who died at 92) who was truly the most talented AND most original creator in our family and WAY before her time. She had an antique shop for over 30 years. She was always scouting for things for her shop or her own house. She frequented antique auctions but her fave place were estate sales where she would pick up incredible pieces of costume jewelry...take them apart and recreate new pieces. She would show up with the most outrageous although gorgeous, OOAK pieces that really allowed her to show her own unique style. The last month I have spent changing my shop to reflect that concept. My plan for the future is to do exactly what my aunt did, find old pieces and give them new life through new designs. Right now I am using vintage reproduction supplies as they are obviously more readily available not to mention less expensive. But my mission this year is to get to those estate sales and find those unique pieces that I too can remake.

Having spent about 4 years on Etsy, I am going to take what I have learned about what sells, what doesn't and marketing and just run with it and see where it leads. We all have to find our own niche and I think I can say that it has taken me this long to find it. My advice to anyone just starting off is be prepared for the reality of starting a new business and don't expect anything. That we are selling online makes it far more difficult to sell. We do not have the benefit of that personal contact with our customer so we have to use our creative skills to draw them in, excellent customer service once they make inquiries and when they buy. Making the experience easy, enjoyable and special is what will help you grow your business as long as you are creating a good quality product that people want.

Sorry for the long book here. Just letting you know where I am coming from.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thank you so much for sharing your goals and stories! Wow. They are a real encouragement, and are helpful. Thank you so much for sharing! ;D

Whatever you'd like to share, or add, we would love to hear!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hello.

I'm retired. The year before I had retired, I had done a lot research on things to do, including home based businesses. I had decided to return to an old "friend" -- sewing and landed on the idea of making decorative pillows. But when I told friends and acquaintances I hat gotten a lot of cold, puzzled or just indifferent stares. Mistake #1: not following my own heart to do what I knew best. So I started a gift basket service. Mistake #2: Didn't do enough research. Mistake #3: Had failed to really focus on HOW to run a business and so I lost a LOT of money on that venture.

Then I sold my beautiful home in Northern Virginia and moved to Central Florida, thinking I could live better on my pension. My absolutely worse Mistake in my life #4: Lost more money in Florida to a sleazy housing developer and an even sleazier lawyer! Escaped Florida to return to Northern Virginia but stopped in Wilmington NC. It's a lovely small town on the Atlantic coast. Although I really like here and have been making friends, I still think of returning to Virginia.

Anyway, the series of financial disasters left me a renter and in debt--which I hate. I don't want to work for someone else. Did that for over 55 years! So I revisited my original idea to design and make decorative pillows. And I love it! My first 7 months (2011) on Etsy were absolutely abysmal. I had 4 orders with revenue less than $300! So Jan 2012, I had my shop critiqued, I did lots and lots of research, made lots and lots of changes. And so 2012 was over 1000% better.

I'm still learning: taking free small business classes whenever possible; read the forums for info; view Etsy online lab videos; and do research on the internet on running a small business. My goals now are to become successful in business to get out of debt and renting; and to become an artist using fabric as my canvas and pillows as my art product. I know I have a long way to go but I hope to enjoy the journey as well.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thanks so much for sharing, Annsliee! You really do inspire. I can really sympathize with wanting to get out of debt. You are really an inspiration. I look forward to watch your progress! I'm so grateful you're here with us. You're a great example!
0 Likes

Hi there! I'm new to the team! Thanks so much for the invite!

I started crafting Amish dolls to sell to a local gift shop way back in 1989 so that I could have some "spending" money since I was a Stay At home Mom. About 5 years later I began doing some craft shows and then the Internet came into out home! WOW! What a wide open door that has been!
Joined some forums, opened a small website to keep my local customers informed with up coming shows and new merchandise, All along I'm adding more and more of a variety to what I create! Took one painting class to learn some new techniques and all the sewing, rug hooking, needle punch has been self taught!
Opened my Etsy shop back in 2007 but really didn't begin listing things and working hard on filling it until a year later!

Last year I kind of neglected my shop so I'm looking forward to building it back up so I need lots of help!

I do have a lot of online outlets where I sell so I hope to be able to keep up with everything!

I will do what I can to be part of the team! Looking forward to it!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hi everyone and thanks for inviting me. I'm brand new with Etsy, but not at all new to selling online. I must admit though, that Etsy has proven to be a challenge for me.

I owned a brick and mortar boutique just outside the Chicago Loop, and sadly, after 5 years, the effects of the economy forced me to shut it down. In my better days in the shop, there came a day where a big, beautiful jazz singer stopped in for some bling to wear under the stage lights. I had a ton of crystal jewelry and she chose a super sparkly stretch elastic bracelet to try on.

She slipped it on her wrist and the darn thing literally exploded. The elastic snapped and beads and crystals and all the little spacers went flying all over the place. She was so embarrassed....she started to cry and I felt horrible for her. I told her what cheap garbage that was and that I, myself, was embarrassed and would replace that line with a better one immediately. I never wanted to see another lady humiliated like that.

That was when I started experimenting with different beading techniques, and, I think because I use such interesting books, the paper/crystal combination was the most successful for me. I now specialize in difficult to fit sizes...whether my customers have the body structure of a bird, or are built for comfort, I can give them something special.....and I'm proud of that!

My handmade jewelry pieces are in a gallery in the suburbs, 2 salons and....of all places....the gift shop in a convent! They do great there! I also sell in as many craft fairs as I can afford, and am trying to organize home parties with other artists.

I use vintage, damaged and discarded books to make beads. I buy up all the beaded jewelry I can find in thrift shops, estate sales and wherever else I run across interesting pieces. I take everything apart and organize it, then reuse it by mixing it with the book page beads.

I have a horribly neglected website for my beads, I've been featured in a couple of crafting blogs, I promote on Facebook and Twitter, but I've never been much of a blogger. In fact, this reply here is the most I've EVER typed in a single sitting! lol

Thanks again for allowing me to join you all. I can't wait to see where this new adventure takes me!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

So happy to see you guys here! It's wonderful to hear your stories, with complete frankness. A real inspiration! I'm certain we'll all be able to contribute a lot to each other!

Welcome guys! ;D
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hello there,

Let me back up a bit just say I started with jewlery too. Back when my children were littl and in diapers and potty training. I just had my hands full and I believe your children should take priority, not your business....and I became obsessed and frantic and going in 1,000 different directions. But this occured in the late 90's so almost 20 years ago. So wih much persuation from husband I dumped all my beads, jewlery case and tools and everything in the garbage.

Then I got into handspinning and still do that, but I could never do that good enough to sell on Etsy; however, I may pursue that later, but it is difficult to get "good" at that craft. Went through a divorce, and finaly got my desire for art back again, thank God. But could not do it while working at full time. Quit my job because could not work fast enough at it. I'm a bit slower physicly than other people and it is difficult to find work and keep it if you work slow. Then I found Etsy. So I started out in 2009 with my Mom. I started out by crocheting this cute little purse for a little girl. And I had a couple of photos. But we didn't have an up to date computer and it crashed on us . Spent alot of money to get it fixed but it wouldn't fix. So had to give up business again.

Started a business with my mom cleaning houses. But she wanted to run it and do everything her way so I let her have it. I'm still paying off the huge bill the phone company charged me for that one.

I remarried going on 3 yrs. now and I wanted to try going back to school. They had this famous jewlery making school here and Iwanted to take the course but chose cosmetology instead. Husband didn't want me to leave home either and work in a salon. People at school didn't trust me enough to do their hair , put on nails. They laughed at me. I was a flop, made it through with a 4.0 gpa....but really was no good at some things. I still haven't gone to take my state board exam. This is another fast pace job and I had problems with it. Husband doesn't want me to do it either. But I was good at crochet....good creating pretty things with yarn and fabric. Husband said, "why don't you do that....your good at that."

So I chose crochet to open my shop with and I opened around the 1st of Janurary with 5 items. But the people and friends around me I either sold or gave away. I just felt I bit off more than I could chew, needed to improve pictures, needed to learn to use camera, neede more items. My goal is to have at least 10 items , one of them being something large: an afghan. I chose crochet because that is what I do best. My advice to anyone is to do or start out with what you know and love and are good at. I have over 60 followers and I was only open a week or two! I am almost done with my afghan and Iwant to make a few more easy, fun, and small and quick items before I open agin. Opening date: as early as middle of March and no later than April 1. Tis is what I do most of the day and I love it and enjoy it so much so I wish I could do it 24/7/. And it's good when you have the support of your spouse. And it's really good when people love and appreciate the hard work you put into something.

Rhonda
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

So glad to see you here, Rhonda! I'm sure you'll do great with work and perseverance! I know I'll be cheering you all the way! Good luck! Can't wait to see your shop open!

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hello ZyrrellsCavern,

So glad I could be part of a team again. Honestly, It was difficult for me to choose between crochet and jewlery. The school they have here in Paris Texas I hear is the best in the country, but they deal with fine jewlery . I have made a few jewlery items but nothing good enough to list. I think I need to learn jewlery more before I add to my shop. I enjoy beaded jewlery the best ad hopefuly will be making some easy pieces in the near future that I can maybe sell for$5.00 or maybe even $10.00-just to get my feet wet. I will be listing about 3-7 items in the near future, Lord willing.

Thanks for inviting me to your team.

Rhonda
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hello everyone, I am so happy to be on this team and it's so nice to read all your stories, you are a bunch of great inspirational people.

My name is Nana and I come from a small european country near the adriatic sea named Slovenia. I love my country but I love the world even more and I would like to see it all. I get bored really fast if I stay to much time in the same place doing the same thing, I am just not a person for rutines and this is why ( I think ) I love arts and crafting so much. Evry day is a new discovery whan you are doing something you love.

So how I started. To tell you the troth I dont even know when this pasion started. I was always a litle bit odd kid, giving my parents a litle bit of truble (being hyper and stuff). When other kids where drowing ladybugs red with black dots I was drowing lady bugs black with red dots. Drowing was always and still is my bigest pasion, I love to ilustrate new worlds dimentions and creatures and make up ther life stories. My aunt was always the biggest inspiration to me, she was the one who introduced me to Etsy and wire work.

So, as far as i can remember I was makeing stuff, mostly gifts for frends using all kind of materials. I alwas wonted to be my own boss and have a job that wuld allaw me to travel and see the world so my aunt encorreged me to open my own Etsy shop and I did. I did not have an exact plan what will I sell but I was explodeing with ideas and still I am. I decided I will start with jewelry and things just went naturally from then on.When I make a peace I never have a plan, I just go with the flow. I love making jewellry but I do not intend to do just that. I just started my Etsy adventure and I hope it will turn out as great as possible. Right now I am dealling with some problem with confused costumer buth I am highly confident I will resolve it for the best.

And I just wont to say how happy I am to be part of the great etsy comunity with people alwas willing to help you and giving you advice. I think this is a great team and thank you very much for haveing me.

srry for my bad grammar and even worse spelling (I try my best) :P
Nana
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

So happy to see you here, Nana! I'm glad you're looking forward to being with us. I think it's wonderful that you want to do many things--I think I'm a lot like you. I love drawing, sewing, making jewelry--even creative writing and music. Why be limited to one thing? There are so many wonderful things to do, and so many places in the world to find inspiration.
Aren't we so blessed to be in such an interesting place? ;D

I look forward to seeing you on the threads!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I could not agree more with you and I will be there for sure :D
0 Likes

Hello,
I started my shop a couple of years ago but had to care for an ill relative, so didn't actively maintain it. I've started managing it more actively in the last 6 months.

I have painted for 15 years and decided to give it a shot. Having an Etsy shop has helped me to beome more focused on what to paint and how to paint it. I am still evolving (Iguess I always will be!).
I feel like I need to narrow my subject matter and style ( a brand?) to be successful on Etsy. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated! I just feel that the successful art shops have a very distintive style and one subject matter (eg landscape), I'm not sure Etsy is the best venue for paintings, but
my plan is to add listings and promote more and see where I am in 6 months.

My biggest challenge is managing all the hats ... creating work , promoting, etc. I am hoping once I build some momentum, sales will increase. Have you all found that you build your shop to a certain point ( # of views) and sales become more consistent?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Got my shop opened again! Please take a look and tell me what you think.

Rhonda
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.