Former_Member
Not applicable

Building Our Blogs

I started my blog late last year, and have done a lot of studying and tweaking on the subject since then. I have changed pictures, designed headers, pulled my hair out trying to figure out how to get the layout just as I wanted, changed the fonts...colors...profile info....

I bet this all sounds very familiar! I have looked at a lot of blogs, and realized what I did and did not like. I just yesterday rearranged the tabs, to tidy the appearance of my blog. It's very much an on-going process!

So, on the subject of blogs, (which will come up often, I expect) I'm here to offer a look at your own blogs, and ask if you'd take a peek at mine. We can all give comments, suggestions--it may be "It's fabulous" or "needs easier-on-the-eye colors", etc.--anything. Just the truth of what you think!

I'd be happy to take a look at your blogs, if you have one!

Here's mine: http://outmyfrontdoorgirlslife.blogspot.com/
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
10 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Building Our Blogs

OMG Your blog makes mine look like a kindergartener made it I have never done a blog before and my computer skills are limited but ever growing. There are so many questions I want to ask you. but we'll start slow, please look at mine, which I just started this week, and give me as many pointers and advise as you can. We just started this shop in Dec and I am working very hard at making it grow so all help is welcomed.
http://widhalmcollectbles.blogspot.com/
Thanks
Christine
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

This is the first time I've done a blog too--I started two at the same time. (I'm also a writer, so I have a blog dedicated to more philosophical topics, as well as writing). And I can tell you that I kept working at it over and over again, until I got it to look tidy, and thematic. I could only ask a couple friends about how it looked, so I didn't have many pointers either! But thanks for your praise. I really appreciate it.

So I took a look at your blog, and for the most part, I really do like it. The posts are genuine, and entertaining. They sincerely come from someone who loves vintage. And the photos are absolutely awesome! That's a huge thing for viewers. Very clear, and professional looking. (Perhaps you could give me tips on photography? It's something I'm working hard on!)

There are a couple things I would definitely suggest. Like making your blog title more noticeable. Maybe a slightly bolder color? Perhaps close to the color of the birds? Or you could take a picture of some of your shop items, and put your heading on that.

I would suggest putting your etsy link either on the side, with your facebook and twitter links, or creating a page that has all your links on it. I've noticed that (at least to me) blogs with tags right underneath their header for their links, about page, etc., look tidier and more professional. That's something I just did for mine recently, and I really like the effect.

I thought the theme colors of your blog really good--representing a homey, old-time feel, but something that is still fresh.

I LOVE that you have the follow option at the top of the blog! I absolutely hate it when I have to search on a blog just to find the follow button! So THANK you! (I did follow you by the way!)

Your "about me" sidebox was very concise, and good. Just a question though--will you offer them anything else on your blog? Crafting, tips? If you do, you might want to include that.

So--excellent job! I hope this helps you! And thank you so much for participating--you're the first person to do so. I'm sure more people will come along though, and our little community will get bigger and more helpful to each other.
God bless!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I just wanted to share examples of what is great about other blogs. Like this one, which has AWESOME photos!! Personally I think it needs a light (white or cream) background, but the photos really are a hooker for my attention. I saw them and I was like, "Wow!!"

http://inspirationforhome.blogspot.com/2012/01/valentines-day-party-ideas-romantic.html

Here is another example, which shows how engaging picture links can be. I love their set up!

http://www.yellowbirdyellowbeard.com/

Don't forget, if you'd like me to take a look at your blogs, just post!
0 Likes

Here's mine: www.romanticcrafts.nl
As I said before, it needs an update, but due to several back surgeries I will update the site in the coming weeks.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Your blog is very interesting, and has a really good setup. Looks fun, and informative, as well as quite pretty. And you have the searches and sign-up options up high, easy to see. BIG thing for me. I hate having to hunt for sign-up options. My only suggestion is that you lighten up the top--free it up a bit. It just felt like it was overshadowing the rest of the blog. Perhaps a white, or light pearly pink color, with your title in swirly font, in black or some other stand-out color? I just think it would make it look a lot fresher. But that's me! I've just noticed that lighter colors are easier on the eyes, and give me a sense of something fresh, and happy, and tidy. But then there are the other types of blogs I follow, that are dark (like blacks and blues/grays), which are still cool--but those are usually fantasy things I follow. Geek stuff. So I really don't think that would apply... ;D
I hope this helps! Good luck!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I don't know if I want to share my blog just yet b/c I plan to change over to another site. Worse, I am sooooo way behind on blogging. I use Wordpress.net with Bluehost as host. I love WP and Bluehost service but was recently introduced to Squarespace.com. I like it b/c it maintains such features as mobile apps which I am just too busy to struggling with updating my current site.

Anyway, thought it would be nice if others would share sites they use or know about, especially for the Etsy newbies.

P.S. Betty, I saw that you are advertising for Volution.com. That's the company I am using to build my own e-Commerce website. Do you have your own e-Commerce website with them?
0 Likes

Hi there! I'm new to this team and looking forward to building my Etsy shop back up to where it was a year and half ago!
Please look over my blog and see what I can improve on! Sometimes I feel it is too busy and wonder if I should go back to a two column.
http://teresasprimtreasures.blogspot.com/
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Teresa,
I had attended a class on Build Your Own Website in January. In the handout and in class, the instructor had given us a list Common Pitfalls:

*Too much clutter
*Too much text, say the important stuff and say it well
*Contact info should be on every page
*Trying to be too perfect (get it up quick and refine)

Hope this helps.

Update: I will NOT be using Volution for a commerce site. Just found out that they had made a drastic price hike. For me, my requirements just don't fit into any of their programs. So I am no longer recommending Volution.

As it turns out Squarespace.com (where I will be moving blog to) has a commerce app that so far looks like it will meet my needs--and the price is much better.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thanks for sharing that Annsliee! Those are excellent tips to keep in mind. And thanks for pointing that out about Volution--I have seen ads for it, and was curious. I'll have to check out Squarespace.com some time!
0 Likes

Thank you Annsliee!
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.