Twitter postings

My twitter account is fairly new & I'm unsure of so many things.

The easiest (and fastest) way of tweeting my vintage jewelry seems to be pinning directly from etsy. However, I wonder if many people bother to click the link in order to view item.

On the other hand:

Is it preferable to use twitter's "compose a tweet" feature so that I can upload a pic, instead of a link? That method doesn't link back to my etsy account, so I was wondering which one you recommend? Thanks, Lynn
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
17 Replies

Re: Twitter postings

Hi Lynn,

I would definitely recommend uploading images to Twitter instead of just sharing your Etsy link.

Everything I've read (as well as personal experience) strongly suggests that people are more likely to engage with / retweet an image then a plain text tweet (even with a link).

Here's a good study about this: http://blog.bufferapp.com/the-power-of-twitters-new-expanded-images-and-how-to-make-the-most-of-it

TIPS:

- Twitter’s in-stream photo preview is 440 px wide by 220 px tall (a ratio of 2:1). If you upload a longer image, this will get cropped from the top and bottom (though it will display correctly if clicked).

If possible, try to upload images in which the width is more than or equal to twice the height (2:1 ratio) - this will look the best on Twitter.

If this is not possible, at least try to make sure that the focus of your image is in the center since this is the part that will be displayed.

- If the image you upload is too small, it won't appear expanded in your stream - viewers will have to click to see the image (which destroys the advantage of having an image).

Here are the dimensions you should stay within:
* Minimum to appear expanded 440 x 200 pixels.
* Maximum to appear expanded 1024 x 512 pixels.

- An image takes 26 characters away from the tweet (leaving 114 characters for your tweet). To optimize your tweet for more retweets, try to keep your message under 94 characters so others can add a short message when retweeting.

- Include the link to your product in the tweet along with the uploaded image so potential buyers can easily find your shop / product.

- If you feel the link is too long, use a url shortner like bitly.co to get a 'bite-sized' version of your link.

Hope this helps :)

Sahiba

P.S. - we recently had a similar discussion about Facebook posts in the team. 100% of team members who participated found that images uploaded on FB performed far better than links shared directly from Etsy:
https://www.etsy.com/teams/16272/social-media-marketing-for-etsy-a-z/discuss/13820537/
0 Likes

I'm so glad we are discussing this! I, too, have been using Etsy's automatic button when I list an item and of course only the long link get's included. No wonder I have never gotten a view from Twitter!
And, thanks to one of the recent topics in the Forum I have started using Bitly dot com. I have been creating 'direct links' in my descriptions to other items to my shop. If you're curious about what I mean, take a look at my Poppy Bouquet description and you'll see what I mean.
And, back to Twitter now: I'll start posting the photos of my items directly also.
Thank you!
0 Likes

Thank you Sahiba!

"To optimize your tweet for more retweets, try to keep your message under 94 characters so others can add a short message when retweeting."

That tip, I didn't know and would never have even considered. Between my message & all of my hashtags, I've been using almost every character. Gotta stop that.
0 Likes

Gosh! I never even *think* to use hashtags - sometimes I feel so much like a 'Johnny-come-lately' with all this stuff...
And JUST when I thought I was getting on top of everything!
Taking a deep breath here...
0 Likes

O.K.! I 'tweeted' with a photo directly onto Twitter and luckily I was able to see my previous 'regular' posting via Etsy. What a difference!
I don't know if Etsy counts visits via Twitter in their stats but my views on that one photo went up dramatically. Oh my gosh! I have a lot of work to do!
(Big sigh...)
0 Likes

@Lynn - I think we all keep learning as we go along. It took me a while to figure that one out as well :)

@Pam - glad the images are working for you.

Also, on Twitter, hashtags are essential - most people search by hashtags. So, definitely play around with your hashtags and see which ones work for you.

You can try looking at other Etsians / photographers and seeing the sort of tags they use.
0 Likes

Thank you, Sahiba -

As always, you are SO helpful!
0 Likes

I recently joined twitter so this is good info. I was only using the links....truthfully, I have not even looked at how to add a photo. :-/
0 Likes

Something 'different' I noticed when posting on Twitter lately...if I use Bitly to shorten my link and then also post a photo, for some reason the photo doesn't appear.
There is only a link to view the photo. So...I'm thinking I may have shot myself in the foot...
Has anyone else noticed this?
0 Likes

Pam, I just tested this and my image went out fine with a bitly shortened link.

Maybe your image was smaller than the minimum size for in-stream photos?

Here are the dimensions you should stay within:
* Minimum to appear expanded 440 x 200 pixels.
* Maximum to appear expanded 1024 x 512 pixels.
0 Likes

Sahiba - thank you; perhaps you are correct.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

This is the best feed on twitter I have found. I struggle with twitter I find Facebook much easier to deal with. From now on though I will be sending out my new items as pictures.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I didnt read through all of this so this may be said already.

Always share new content as new content, never use a link through. You gain far more traction. Google 'frowns' on those link throughs on any social media platform. Give fresh to your viewers, its about them not you if you know what I mean.

Be active, be visual, be a bit personal, and always post fresh. :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I have been experimenting with posting from Etsy and posting directly to Twitter and I don't really see any interaction difference, but I agree that posting directly is no doubt better. I'll check out the bitly thing soon.

One thing that I did not see mentioned here is # of hashtags. I used to add at least 4 or 5 but someone did an actual study of hashtag effectiveness on Twitter and found that 2 is the max number you should use. Those tweets with more than 2 tags were far less likely to get attention. I can't find my source for this but I think that I found it on G+ so I'll try to find a link for the article and post it. However, I switched to just 2 tags several weeks ago and have definitely seen more Twitter action. Hmmmmmm
0 Likes

Debra, you're right - more than 2 hashtags drop engagement.

Here's some information on this: http://www.inc.com/jeff-haden/the-science-behind-using-hashtags-number-type-and-more.html

I believe that posts with too many hashtags are difficult to read and look cluttered and unappealing.
0 Likes

Also, here's a simple infographic based on a study by Buddy Media on best tweeting practices:
http://linchpinseo.com/infographic-twitter-tweet-cheat-sheet
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Love that cheat sheet - Saturdays & Sundays are now my new Twitter days!
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.