Instagram tips & advice?

I haven't used Instagram much, but it's becoming increasing popular on Etsy. I'd love to learn more about using Instagram for selling.

Do you use Instagram? How has it worked for you?

Do share any tips or advice here!

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
38 Replies

Re: Instagram tips & advice?

I just recently started using Instagram and am really liking it so far. I try to use relevant hashtags and use personal photos along with creative process photos to give my followers a glimpse of me as an artist.
0 Likes
MeridianMade
Inspiration Seeker

I am not on Instagram...should I be?? Is it worthwhile?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Yes, you should be. It is a great tool and remarkably easy to use. A little harder to find followers & people to follow but maybe I just haven't tuned in to my niche group. Also, unlike other forms of SM - it's fun.
0 Likes
MeridianMade
Inspiration Seeker

Thank Debra!!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

A friend of mine recently shared with me that you can go and find Instagram business pages that are within your marketing scope and go to the list of their friends and start following them, you might get a few that follow you back that increases the reach of photos regarding your shop. :)
0 Likes

Good advice Zane, loving Instagram.
My fav is when i get credited for an item and my traffic/followers increases. Always a good feeling!
0 Likes

I love instagram, it fast becoming my favorite social media tool. It is not as cluncky as Facebook and posting is super easy.

Following me and I will follow back.
@buffalogirlsdesign
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I just use it and use my hashtags. I have in my About, announcement, and note to buyer. I run a personal/business mix.

I have quiet a few buyers follow me, they tag me with the picture they took of their jars! :D I have a seller that bought from me and used the jars at her vendor show, she tagged me too.

Its a slow steady process. Stay active, you cant just post once a month! ha ha
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I think Instagram is super important for Etsy sellers who are selling physical products (not as important for sellers like me who sell digital products). Back when I sold vintage, I found Instagram to be a great way to get my items out there, but the key is using hashtags that people actually use and taking striking photos. It is also a great opportunity to show your buyers your creative process.

There is research that suggests that closeup photos get more likes, and photos with certain colors get more likes. I can't believe there are studies like that already, but I'm glad there are!
0 Likes

Do We have to own a Smart Phone in order to use Instagram? I don't have one...yet...
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Yes. I actually know people who have gotten smart phones just so they can use instagram. An ipad works too.
0 Likes

Thank you...I don't have the ipad either...so, I guess I'll just have to wait...I appreciate your response.
0 Likes

Wow, great information - thank you all for sharing!

Here's an interesting article I found on what kind of Instagram images are more likely to attract customers on Instagram:
http://www.elle.com/news/fashion-style/instagram-retail-study

(@Dani, is this what you were talking about? If not, do you happen to have a link to the research you found?)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

You can install Instagram on your PC through Google Chrome if you don't have the right mobile phone, however its not easy to do. I have gotten it installed after viewing how-tos on You-tube several times. With that being said I am still working on the registration part (as I said its not easy on your pc) but I'll let you know when I figure it out.

Thanks for sharing the article on how people buy from Instagram. Good tips to keep in mind.
0 Likes

Thanks, Cynthia - I didn't know that. Do let us know once you've gotten the registration sorted.

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I am not on Instagram yet. Not sure how it works, but have heard good things about it. Any suggestions for me?
0 Likes

I just started tonight. I'm looking for an alternative to FB since things have changed there so much recently.
0 Likes

Instagram has been a life saver for my little shop this year. I started in IG in January and I have got measurable sales from it. I landed a wholesale order in the last half of this year due to IG

It is really great!
0 Likes

I've just joined Instagram so there is a lot I have to figure out. Are the words/phrases I use in my tags here on Etsy relevant hashtags?
0 Likes
PetrinaBlakely
Conversation Maker

I am pretty new to Instagram - find it really easy to use from my iPad and my iPhone, don't use it from my p.c. It works really well on my iPad but I don't have 4g so need to have wireless access - can easily post to all 3 medias - IG (short for instagram, Facebook and twitter at the same time) my iPhone will only let me post to FB not twitter unless I unload and reload all my accounts which makes me nervous!

I have found that many local vendors are finding me via IG and also other Etsy shops that I didn't know of before. I find it to be very easy and relatively painless.

I use hashtags I would use on twitter and one's that are relevant to where I am located.

You can find me at Petrina_Kauai.

0 Likes

I love instagram, but I don't get views from it. I try to use a lot of hashtags and post photos often. I wonder what I should be doing differently?
0 Likes

Instagram is fantastic for me. I have actually sold more off of Instagram than my actual Etsy account so far. And I do far less promotion there! I use lots of hashtags, especially things like quippy sayings that relate to my pieces. It seems to generate more likes per item and more followers. I also try and follow every business on Etsy I can find to help promote each other. It's an awesome little community on there!
0 Likes
PetrinaBlakely
Conversation Maker

I also try to follow other Etsy shops. Feel a tad outsmarted by these apps ;P.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I have just set up an Instagram account for my shop, so heres hoping it goes well!
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.