Do you ever feel invisible sometimes?

I need time to cry & open up a little bit. I hope you guys don't mind being my therapists for awhile.

I'm asking this question because I feel like I'm the only one in this situation:

I have friends involved (directly or indirectly) with the WWE. I also have family who are quite popular in convention circuits (literally, every 30 steps someone wants to take their picture). My grandpa is also extremely popular in his town (it's very interesting spending time with him around the town).

So, there are times I'm the one sitting there thinking, "Do people even notice me? Are they just friendly to me because of my friends & family?"

Like me, some members of my family craft items and sell them. My items are featured in a small museum or table of theirs, and when people ask about the items, my family tell them about my shop & what I do.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not jealous of anyone, I'm not trying to put a spotlight on myself in any way with this thread.

I just want to know I'm not the only one who sometimes feels "Do people see me as a lesser person because I'm not as popular as my friends & family?"

So, do you ever feel invisible sometimes?
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
8 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Do you ever feel invisible sometimes?

I know how you feel, on a smaller scale. I'm engaged to a very popular musician in these parts and I've stopped going out to shows and open mics with him because I'm tired of being left alone while he gets fawned over. I was tired of people telling me how lucky I was. What about me? Isn't HE lucky too? Why am I the lucky one?

It definitely is crappy to feel like the accessory to someone, but we just have to sit back and remember that people do love us for who we are, even if we aren't as 'popular', which I know I'm not hahaha

I know I'll never be as charismatic as Adam is, so I'm getting my name out there with what my shoes say when I'm at a loss for conversation :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Sounds like to me there is nothing about you being invisible at all. You say your family talks about your crafts and your shop, people talk to you.

I have a feeling you are a bright individual. I also believe if you really wanted all that attention you would be out there getting it, all by yourself.

Now ... I do think that there is something more you feel like you want to do in life. Something that you keep staring at ... wanting to do.

Your not invisible unless you blend in because you want to. It is like does one tree in the forest stand out more then any other? Some are more shady, some bear more fruits, some protect the younger trees from storms. But each one has its place in the forest to make the forest whole. You just need to find where and what you want to do.
0 Likes

Don't most of us feel invisable some days? I know I do, when my critical judge is wanting something other then what "is" at the moment. It is just a bump on the path, enjoy feeling invisable, because next week you'll have a few moments in the spot light... when you least expect it, and won't be able to blend into the crowd!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I remember when I used to work at the same place my dad worked. HE was a big guy, a shaker and mover in that business. I came on as temp for the company and later on was hired in a different part of the company that my Dad did not run. Now people would ask me "Aren't you ______ Decker's daughter?" After awhile I got tired of it. So I would respond "______ Decker is my father". Not yes, not no. People did get it after awhile and realized how off putting it could be.

We all want to shine in our own light.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

(((HUGS)) Amelia ~Lots of love to you~

No one is invisible or un-important to me <3 Everyone is special in their own way.
0 Likes

It doesn't sound like you are not invisible - you just have an unusually well-know family and group of friends. If they generate attention to what you are doing - go for it and if you like who you are and what you are doing - all is well. It would be easy to feel a little lost sometimes when you are surrounded by a bunch of over-achievers. Try to appreciate your own accomplishments, they don't have to be big, famous accomplishments, just things you have done that you are proud of.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

No, your not invisible, not at all!!

your surrounded by people who love you, and popular people who are very willing to help your store out, and I think that's great.

We all have our place in the world.

And next time you think about being in the spotlight, remember these lyrics

♪....... You can be me and I will be you.
You can live just like a star.
I'll take my sanity, you take the fame........♪

0 Likes

Frenchie - I know the feeling of "accessory" when I'm in a picture with a family member or friend when someone wants to take a picture of them. I automatically move out of the picture because I know it's them the person wants a picture of/with. But it makes me happy when they grab my arm, "Hey, you get in this shot too!" XD

Ravenzmoon - I'm currently not able to get out there & tour with my family & friends whenever they kick-start back on their relentless schedule because I'm currently in college. They emphasize for me to finish school, so that's my priority right now. But I try to go to as many events they're featured as possible to help out.

Skye - I was unable to blend in at an event back in August. My character at the convention is terrified of the bad guys. When they showed up, got in my face, I issued what the on-lookers labeled as "A blood curling scream" & bolted through a crowd of people running away from the bad guys. The bad guys were being played by close family members. XD

Debbi Decker - I get the same thing with my dad & grandfather (both are unrelated, but both popular in their own right). 90% of the people who recognize me when I'm around them, NEVER remember my name. But I'm used to it now. lol

RockStarFeathers - Aww...*hugs* Thank you so much! :D

Lee Meyer - It always makes me happy when said family member & friends love the things I make. Some have my bears (there are two bears they own that are featured in quite a few photos from events) and others love my soaps. :)

Steph - I love Five Finger Death Punch. <3 But I have experienced the slight dark side to fame at an event. It will take you twice as long to get to the bathroom because every 30 steps, "Hey, can I take your picture?" "Excuse me, can I take a picture with you?" or you're just walking to the bathroom & flashes of light hit you from cameras. lol But it doesn't bother me unless I'm REALLY holding it to go to the bathroom. XD
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.