Former_Member
Not applicable

Shop Stats: Twitter vs Direct and...Keywords!!!

Jump to solution
Hi Team!

I've been looking into Shop Stats to gain a greater understanding of what it all means especially with regard to SEO, keywords and where sales come from.

I'm still trying to figure it all out! But here what i know so far...

Twitter, Retweets and VIEWS...

When we retweet each other and the tweet contains an etsy listing link it registers in our stats as a "View" and gets counted into that number as well as direct traffic--which is confusing, i know. I think because it is an "impression" and because the link in the tweet is an etsy link, this is how the etsy system treats them.

So the good news is that a 1000 'views' without a sale does not mean you had a 1000 visitors and no one bought anything.

An actual click thru from Twitter is the t.co stat.

While the high number isn't "foot" traffic it is still remarkable and something many are striving for AND can lead to a sale--as I've seen in my shop.

DIRECT TRAFFIC

What is unclear is the Direct Traffic as you can only drill down but so far. You can't see the individual sources....some but not all. It is possible that it includes other clicks from a Twitter source like a mobile app.

Now that we are posting in the forums we'll want to pay closer attention to TEAMS" under traffic source as it includes traffic from Forums.

Next...

KEYWORDS!

This is an area we want to focus on! In this area we can track and gauge our SEO efforts. The idea is to 1) optimize our shop's with keywords and then look here to see if were have results and 2) look here to see what keywords people using to find us and see if we can build on them.

Ultimately we want this to be a very dynamic area in our stats.

Lastly, Sold Items...

It important to always try to determine where a sale came from via Stats. You won't always be able to tell but sometime you can see quite clearly.

Here's how to check

Either the day of the sale or in stats overview set the date to the date of the sale.

Then in "page views" find and click on the item that sold. On the page that follows look to see if it was a keyword. Now your learning what you important keywords are.

More on Keywords and Search to follow!

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Shop Stats: Twitter vs Direct and...Keywords!!!

Jump to solution
**** Update ****

I just wanted to add to the part regarding keywords and learning which one might be important for your shop.

Think about the keywords you get the most traffic for. Those words can represent opportunities. If you make things with that keyword, maybe more more, increase your selection.

For instance, in my shop, i get a lot of traffic for Buddha Bracelets and when I look at sales it's a high percentage of my sales...so i'm adding more.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
19 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Thank you, Clarissa!
Great info !
I wonder, if search adds are part of the search statistics.

I also found the way for myself to find good keywords by using this list from etsy:
https://www.etsy.com/search-ads/keywords

This list contains the prices etsy would charge you for search adds per keyword. I assume that then more expensive keyword is, then more friquent it is used.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Hi Julia!

Yes! That page is good for coming up with potential keywords for ones shop/listings.

I'm actually working on putting together an easy tutorial for Keyword research and SEO optimization to share with the team shortly!

Re: Search ad stats When you sign up for search ads you'll be shown a different stat area just for your search ad.

and I assume the same thing, the costliest words are the most search or you would hope so :)

0 Likes

Jump to solution
Thanks for this Clarissa , that is really helpful explaining the stats , definitely gives me a better understanding
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Hi Clarissa sorry I might be misunderstanding this , but had my phone beside me with the constant ding ding ding of retweets this afternoon with etsy links that I can see also on Tweetdeck and my stats are showing this

etsy.com 24
bottlenose.com 2

t.co 2

Direct Traffic

Bit confused , do the Etsy stats maybe take a couple of hours to catch up.
Sorry if I am confusing things or just being a bit thick, and thankyou again for all your time and effort it is really appreciated , the support (not just rts) from yourself and members of this team it truly is a happy team to be part of :-) #justsayin
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Hi Ann! :) Thank you! and No problem!

Those numbers seem very low for a day's worth of stats? Is that what you asking about?

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
This is great...Thank you all...my sales are not where I want them to be so I'm really focusing on SEO and keywords...we can help each other make it happen! :) Tracy
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Hi Clarissa sorry probably didn't explain things properly, my shop stats are low unfortunately :-(

By "views" are you referring to the "views" registering from retweets showing in stats as traffic source etsy.com and the landing page in stats being the listing link that was tweeted ?
Because that would make more sense , think I was getting in a muddle earlier with direct traffic , thinking lots of retweets but very little direct traffic not adding up.

I hope that makes sense , getting in a tangle myself explaining what I mean lol , but on the downside that would mean virtually the only traffic I am getting is retweets. Lots of work to do :-) Thankyou again

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Hi Anne I took a look at your twitter and can see why you are getting low stat. Your don't have enough shop tweet with the #etsymnt. I only saw two in a 10 hour time frame.

Were you using the Etsy-fu free trial to auto tweet your listing?
0 Likes

Jump to solution
No I set up my own on tweetdeck , usually 3 per day for my Etsy shop , and 1 for my Zibbet shop, with my random thoughts inbetween, I just worry any more than that and I will look spammy , as I see people tweeting listing after listing and it just turns me off. How many do you think is a reasonable amount to get away with without looking spammy ? Not tried Etsy-fu as am a bit of a control freak lol .
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
The way i see it...my twitter is for my shop and if people following my shop twitter don't want tweets from my shop why do i need them following me? It's included in my twitter announcement..."I tweet my products" lol

my new favorite line...people don't follow Home Depot (home improvement superstore) in order to stay-up-to-date on world events.

Plus you need to balance out the team retweets with more retweets for your shop.

And etsy-fu is just tweeting your listings....set it for every two hours if you think every hour will cycle through too quickly.

etsy-fu.com - free trial :)
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I will have a look thanks Clarissa :-)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
I found I actually gain more followers the more I tweet listings. I was worried about looking spammy too and having people unfollow (and some might) but I had my listings tweet every 2 hours and ended up with like 15 new followers in a day.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
your brilliant Clarrisa. What is your source for determing this much need to know info?

big hugs
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Thank you dear! {{{Big Hugs }}} to you too! I have a friend who marvels at the info I find online! lol Sadly I spend a ridiculous amount of time at my computer and if I think it, I Google it! :D

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Thank you!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
**** Update ****

I just wanted to add to the part regarding keywords and learning which one might be important for your shop.

Think about the keywords you get the most traffic for. Those words can represent opportunities. If you make things with that keyword, maybe more more, increase your selection.

For instance, in my shop, i get a lot of traffic for Buddha Bracelets and when I look at sales it's a high percentage of my sales...so i'm adding more.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Thank you so much for this thread. I am captain of the Tan Handmade Wedding. Right when people join my team I tell them to come over and join Etsy meet n tweet. This team had been a powerful business tool for us. We are still Figuring everything out. Information like this really helps us. Thank you.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Hi Melissa! That's great! Thank you! Tell them they're welcome to join!

BTW, I have to tell you I just love your vases! So gorgeous!

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Thank Clarissa, for referring me back to this thread. Very helpful!
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.