ManAndStone
Community Maker

EtsySocial Auto-Retweets New Approach

Hi Team!

For a second it looked like we were passed the Twitter lockouts. Unfortunately they are still happening to some Team members so we're going to try a new approach that I think will create a lighter footprint for us on Twitter.

OUR CURRENT SYSTEM

Team members auto-retweet a team Twitter List.
The team Twitter list consists of all of our tweets.

So their is a lot of cross retweeting...team member A retweets team member B, C, D and vice verse.

There's a lot going on there.

NEW (Simpler) APPROACH

EtsySocial.com currently randomly auto-tweets our featured listings in our EtysSocial dashboard out to the EtsySocial Twitter account

Therefore we could all just retweet EtsySocial's twitter as a way to retweet each other. We would occasionally retweet one of our own listings but unlike retweeting via the team twitter list, it would not be our tweet (remember we had to create a rule to keep that from happening.) Instead it would be etsysocial's tweet of our listing and so we would not be retweeting ourselves.

Our developer is double checking somethings in the twitter rules but we think this will be a much simpler system. However, before we set it up, I wanted to get your thoughts.

Here's the roll out:

1. We would change the set up in your EtsySocial dashboard from retweeting a team Twitter to being able to 'activate' and 'deactivate' retweeting EtsySocial's Twitter.

2. EtsySocial's Twitter would only post tweets, no retweets (so that no chance of retweeting oneself)

3. We'll increase the number of EtsySocial tweets (currently set at 10 per hour)

4. For each Team member posting team retweets to their twitter, we'll keep the number to 5 per hour for now til we see things go. If all goes well, we can think about gradually increasing the number to get back to 10.

If this sounds like a plan, I will get out developer on it.

Thanks Team!!
Clarissa
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
40 Replies

Re: EtsySocial Auto-Retweets New Approach

Hey Clarissa
Love to hear that we are still trying things!!
Question: are you saying the tweets will come from an Etsy Social twitter account instead of fed to our own?
0 Likes
ManAndStone
Community Maker

Hi Mel!

The tweets will come from EtsySocial.com posted to the EtsySocial Twitter:

https://twitter.com/etsysocial

currently is part of our retweeting but that will stop with the new approach. The feed will just be tweets of our shop listings. The listings we add in to our EtsySocial profile. And that's what will get retweeted.

We'll til each havde our twitter accounts and post to it but those tweets won't be what is auto retweeted by the Team.

The Team will only auto-retweet the etsysocial twitter and with that etsysocial will just be an EtsyMeetNTweet Team thing.

Mel, I hope that answered your question? If not, please let me know.
0 Likes
ManAndStone
Community Maker

Hi Team!

I have our developer working on the changes to our retweet system. As he switches us over to our new approach there will be an interruption to our retweets.

He will remove the old set up from our dashboards and put in place the new one. You will need to go into your EtsySocial Dashboard to activate the new service.

I will let you know as soon as the new set up is in place!

Hope everyone had a Happy 4th!!
Clarissa
0 Likes

Excellent news!
0 Likes

I'm always for a simpler approach.
Thank you!
0 Likes
SwirlingOrange11
Conversation Maker

Heya All,

Just checking in and making sure I understand this. Clarissa do you know how many "active" accounts are on etsy social as I am sure twitter would know the tweets were automated if more than 1 every five or ten minutes. Say 1 every 5 minutes which would be 12 tweets an hour, if there are more than 12 items to tweet, that would leave at least a few people out every 24 hours, no?

I mean the old way you had three individual sections who tweeted each other team 1, team 2, team 3, we would all tweet and retweet whomever was in our section.

I am just trying to figure out how often each of use would have an item tweeted by etsysocial per day, which if there were a lot of team people participating, more than 25 someone would be left out of the tweets every 24 hours, or am I missing something here, which is entirely possible!

I am so happy we are getting back together :) YAY
0 Likes
ManAndStone
Community Maker

Hi Swirly!

It does feel good! :D

So, 'how often we each of us would have an item tweeted per day' is a good question. Let's see if we can get an idea.

1. There are currently about 46 active EtsySocial accounts.

Each account is allowed 24 featured listings in the etsysocial dashboard.

2. EtsySocial can be configured to post tweets

x number of tweet per hr
x mins between tweets

I just adjusted it to:
10 tweets per hour
5 mins apart

However, with a twitter threshold of 100 tweets per hour allowed, we could increase those numbers a bit and still be conservative! But let's work with 10 per hour for now.

So, EtsySocial is going to randomly post a tweet for 10 shops per hour per 24 hr period. So that is a total of 10 tweets x 24 hrs = 240 tweets posted per day.

So if we divide 240 tweets between 46 members, in theory, that looks like 5 tweets per shop a day.

But we could increase that number of tweets per hour.

20 per hour 3 mins apart would mean potentially 10 tweets instead of 5 per member per day.

So no one would be left out. The tweets are randomized. 1 hour this 10 member, next hour another ten members and so on.

Please keep in mind, right now we are just talking about tweets posts for our listings to @etsysocial, TO BE RETWEETED by us.
0 Likes

Great news, Clarissa!
0 Likes
SwirlingOrange11
Conversation Maker

Great, thanks Clarissa :)
0 Likes

This sounds like a good plan! Please let me know if I need to set anything up in Etsy Social. Do I need to activate the auto tweet or auto retweet?

Thanks a bunch,
Jeanette
0 Likes
ManAndStone
Community Maker

Hi Jeanette!

Nothing to do just yet. Our developer is working on the new set up. Will let everyone know when it's ready for testing! :)
0 Likes

Thanks, Clarissa! Sounds like a good plan.
0 Likes

From what I read the new form of rt is still in development.
But they are modifying something, since today from my account no RT has been made of the others, I am going to do manual. I wanted to know if it's a tweeter problem or that they're testing.

thanks clarissa
0 Likes
ManAndStone
Community Maker

Hi Team!

Paula, you're correct, the no retweets is due to the changer over.

We're almost there. The new set up is ready in our EtsySocial dashboards.

to go to http://etsysocial.com/admin/retweet

Just check the 'Activate' button and hit 'Submit' to save.

The Twitter account you have authorized will start to retweet the @etsysocial Twitter.

The next part is for our developer to increase the number of tweets posted to our EtsySocial Twitter. Right now it's only tweeting once per hour but the will be fixed.

Please keep in mind that we are testing this new approach. So please let me know if you find anything of concern!

Thanks Team!!!
Clarissa
0 Likes
SwirlingOrange11
Conversation Maker

Clarissa,

It seems to be working but I have had the exact same tweet retweeted even if once an hour, there is no variety. I have five items set (to test) and only one of these showed up. :)
0 Likes
ManAndStone
Community Maker

Thanks Swirly! That should change as soon EtsySocial starts posting more tweets hourly. For some reason it's only posting one tweet per hour. Our developer's working it!
0 Likes
ManAndStone
Community Maker

Also Team, with the new set up, you want to make sure you keep the 'Featured Listings' in your EtsySocial dashboard up to date as those are the items being posted to Twitter and will be retweeted. The links go back to your Etsy Shop.

I went in the other day and a number of my ManAndStone listings were sold out or no longer available. (Which reminds me I need to check my PrayLoveYoga listings!)
0 Likes

Hi Clarissa,
I've activated Auto Tweets and Retweets in Etsy Social and also checked that my listings in dashboard are up to date. So.…… here's hoping...….
0 Likes

Hi, Clarissa
I activated the Auto Retweet tab yesterday, according to your instructions and was locked out this morning. I've deactivated the Auto Retweet function, but kept my Twitter account linked to Etsy Social.
0 Likes
ManAndStone
Community Maker

Hi Lari! Thanks for reporting back! Leave it deactivated and let's keeping seeing how it goes.
0 Likes

I also got locked out, which is a first for this account.
0 Likes

Sounds good, Clarissa
0 Likes
ManAndStone
Community Maker

Both of my accounts, PrayLoveYoga & ManAndStone, got lock out. :/

Team we may have to forgo auto-retweeting and consider a whole new approach to promoting our shops.

I have ideas that I've been holding back as we try to get our auto-retweeting going again. I know it seems like the low hanging fruit but I really feel we could be doing bigger things.

We've built some pretty big twitter followings and that's an asset we can use moving forward.

Plus, we know how to work together.

I love our Team so much! And in my heart I believe, we can accomplish great things together. In the next few days, I'm going to roll out some possible new ventures for us to see what you think.

Cheeers!!!
Clarissa

0 Likes

Thanks for the update Clarissa I am retweeting when I can and look forward to hearing your ideas .
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.