Pay before Shipping vs Net terms.

I'm curious what most peoples preference is for using Etsy Wholesale. Do you think it's a major turn off to retailers if you don't offer some sort of Net payment? Right now as I am dabbling in Wholesale, I am still requiring payment before shipping. So far it seems like it is working out, as I average about 1 order a month which I am very happy with that as I am still in a learning process, but not sure where that falls in the grand scheme of "doing well on Etsy Wholesale". I recently read the thread that was stickied at the top, and saw that they received 10 wholesale orders 7 days. Now I know you can't really compare apples to oranges, but what it does demonstrate to me that there are buyers browsing Etsy Wholesale. Prior to that I just wasn't sure if there really were many people browsing EW, as I do extremely well on the retail side of my shop. So I just wonder if maybe my terms scare buyers off since I require prepayment?

I am wondering just how much of it is a risk if I was to allow Net term orders. Honestly I am scared to take the risk of making a huge order and never getting paid...am I being overly worried?
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
2 Replies

Re: Pay before Shipping vs Net terms.

Now that I read that other thread more clearly I realize they were a buyer not a seller...I must stop getting on Etsy before I drink my morning coffee haha...but still the original question of course still stands.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Pay before Shipping vs Net terms.

I always thought terms were the norm, and I think for big operations they are. But I'm finding for small businesses like ours, payment before shipping is the norm. In fact, I was just at a workshop last week with a jewelry designer (with accounts like Anthropologie) and I asked about this. She said no one expects terms with makers of our size and that a buyer expects to pay before getting their order. I appreciated her clarification - she was very firm, matter-of-fact about it.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.