Packaging

Hi all,

I've just started setting up my linesheet. How does everyone package their wholesale items vs their retail items? I'm guessing it would need to be in something that you can see through?? I package my items in a black box and then it gets tied with suede string. From a wholesale point would it be better to go with different packaging??
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
9 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Packaging

Your packaging sounds lovely Victoria. I really don't know if a retailer would be able to work with it or not. Whatever you end up doing, I'd suggest making one of the photos on your wholesale listing a picture of the product with its packaging, on display like it would be in a store. I started doing that and maybe it's my imagination but I feel like it's helping...show the buyer how they can display it in their store.

I do a simple hand-stamped tag attached with jute twine to each item. I feel like my items look better when stuffed with tissue but that's gonna change shipping/costs/etc., haven't decided if I should do it or not.

Good luck Victoria!
0 Likes

Hi Victoria! Some sellers add packaging as an option, leaving it up to the buyer to choose whether they'd like it or not.
0 Likes

Thank you! Sorry for this late response. I thought responses would automatically pop up in my email! not so though lol
0 Likes
HelloFlytrap
Conversation Maker

Mine's the same for both, which makes life tons easier! I'd do the same if you can. Especially as your wholesale side grows along with retail.

I am in the process of creating displays and already have display cards. So people know what they're looking at.

I love your idea, tough. Maybe you could figure out a way to attach the jewelry to the box and leave the box open (inserting the back into the top, if you know what I mean), then wrap the suede around. Or something. You can get boxes with a clear cover, too - but I don't think that fits your aesthetic.

Maybe you could attach the jewelry to a card inside the box, leave the box open, and...?
0 Likes
HelloFlytrap
Conversation Maker

Love your work by the way. Really original and beautiful.

Also, here's a great pin board with ideas for you:

https://www.pinterest.com/explore/jewellery-packaging/
0 Likes

Thank you Jen!! I have to check out that pinteret link. Pinteret always has some great idea. I started switching my package over to sheer black organza bags. Its nice but I'm still looking for exactly what I need.
0 Likes

What a timely question--I gave packaging (specifically, garment hang tags) quite a bit of thought last week while working up a wholesale order.

I wonder what is the expectation of buyers/boutique owners for wholesale packaging? I would think that attractive packaging is crucial for driving sales in boutiques. And it is important for me to present my brand in a great way with beautiful hang tags.

For my retail orders, I've always attached nice hang tags that I make myself. These are professionally printed on heavy, ivory-colored card stock. I glue a textured card stock strip across the tops (to reinforce the hole), cut them into tags with a paper cutter, punched the holes, inserted a loop of cotton string, and finally pinned the tag to the shoulder with a metal pin. It is a bit of work but not too bad when done in batches. And not bad at all when preparing one item in a retail package for shipping.

While preparing my wholesale items to ship, I came to realize that my hang tags were big chunk of the work of making the wholesale order. But to me it is important in presenting my creations attractively, so I am not sure it should be optional.

What do others think? Is this optional? Do you adjust your wholesale prices to reflect the labor involved in creating and adding attractive packaging?

0 Likes
normasbath
Conversation Maker

Pinterest would help you out a lot. I love it.
0 Likes

I package my items the same for retail buyers as well as wholesale buyers! This way my brand looks cohesive and consistent, and it makes for super easy order packing. I find that wholesale buyers really appreciate the fact that all my items are display-ready without having to put forth any extra effort! I factor in packaging cost into all my items so I'm not loosing out.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.