OldGreenVintage
Inspiration Seeker

Minimums question

Hi everyone!

We've just started via Etsy Wholesale within the last week, and I've run into an issue with our second order.

We make cutting boards that are one-of-a-kind (we vary shapes and handles and the wood is ALWAYS different), and only have one each to sell per listing. I have the minimum quantity set to one, but one buyer indicated that she wanted two.

Is there a way to limit buyers to only selecting one per item? And if not, how can the buyer modify or add to a submitted order?

I know a lot of sellers don't pre-make, and require a couple weeks lead time to produce. But frankly, it's easier for us to make everything ahead of time and provide photos and descriptions of the actual item buyers will purchase. Any advice?
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
11 Replies

Re: Minimums question

So you can make the same shape, but just not the same wood? If that's right, I'd let her know what you can do, but other wise you can change her invoice to just read one if she doesn't want to wait for a second.
0 Likes
OldGreenVintage
Inspiration Seeker

Thanks for the response. Yes, we offer repeat shapes that aren't live edge. The color, grain, and live edges of wood differs from each tree, so we thought it best to circumvent buyer complaints (the "why isn't mine the one in the picture?" kind of stuff) by being very specific about what they're getting.

In any case, this particular buyer was surprised at having to pay shipping and hasn't responded since. So it's a moot point.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

The only way around this that I know of is to put a big ole announcement at the beginning of each and every one-of-a-kind listing - something along the lines of "ONE OF A KIND" "ONLY ONE IN STOCK." Something big and eye catching. This doesn't guarantee that a buyer won't still try order 2 or 7 but it might help.

You can only set a minimum - not a maximum. I think you're looking for a way to limit a buyer to selecting 1 cutting board, right? We can't do that on here other than just notifying them in the listing.

But your last part, they were surprised at having to pay shipping? That's...interesting.
0 Likes
OldGreenVintage
Inspiration Seeker

Thanks, Hummingbird. Taking your advice.

The buyer complained shipping was too high, and has gone silent, even though there's a purchase order hanging out there.

I quoted $24.13 via UPS for 6 cutting boards that weigh 23 lbs. UPS actual was $20.13 and I added $4 dollars to cover shipping materials. Plus, it was a residential address, which UPS charges more for.

Frankly, it made me suspicious that this was a personal buy, not a true resaler. That in itself was a signal we should raise our minimum buy.

As of today, we are a week into this with one succesful order under our belts. Lessons have been learned!
0 Likes
OldGreenVintage
Inspiration Seeker

Should clarify - the buyer was surprised at shipping then remarked it was too high.

Also something I noticed is that we can see EINs. I can tell this is a social security number (being that it's probably a sole proprietership). That's kind of scary from a buyer perspective -- I can see this person's address, full name and what's probably this person's SSN.

Is that true on the buyer side? If a sole p is selling wholesale, that SSN is out there for them to see?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I recently had something similar happen. I was suspicious because there wasn't much qualifying this person as a buyer - she turned out to be legitimate and lovely to work with, but there was no physical address, no website, just an EIN, which anyone can get in about 60 seconds over the 'net. I requested more information on my own but it raises a concern - the bar for being approved as a buyer on EW should be *much* higher. To be able to enter a string of numbers that may or may not mean anything, and pretty much nothing else? I realize we should each do our own due diligence, but what exactly is EW doing when it comes to vetting buyers?

And yeah, not a good idea to put your SS# on the intertubes.
0 Likes
OldGreenVintage
Inspiration Seeker

Word. By the way, love your towels!
0 Likes

I'm a sole proprietor and I have an EIN. I'm also an LLC (single member LLC's operate the same as a sole proprietor in Oregon...maybe other states as well). Although, before I got an EIN, I was using my SS#...which I was never comfortable with....I just hoped for the best. Both SS and EIN's have 9 numbers, though.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hi all! This is a great discussion to have with one another since each of you might see situations like this differently based on what's best for your business.

I did want to pop in to address Hummingbird's question: "...what exactly is EW doing when it comes to vetting buyers?"

When buyers apply to the marketplace, we review their information to ensure that they are an actual brick & mortar shop or online boutique. That being said, as a seller, you're always welcome to vet a buyer along your own criteria to ensure that their business is the right fit for you. You may want to ask buyers for more information about their business such as their store website, other brands they carry, etc.

Also, you're never obligated to accept a purchase order. You have the option to approve or cancel any PO you receive, and we advise you to review each order to make sure it's one that you want to and are able to fulfill. If you don't want to or cannot fulfill a PO that you receive, please make sure to cancel it instead of accepting it.

Thanks!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

With all due respect Dana, I have to say I don't believe EW is doing a very good job at all of vetting buyers. I had another order today - the buyer had a half-finished website and a facebook page, that's it. A previous buyer didn't even have that much. And neither had their last names included. How am I supposed to do any research on a potential buyer if I don't even have their last names? This is frustrating.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I have to agree. So many of my orders come from buyers with incomplete bios, links don't work and a Google search pulls up nothing. I want the order of course so the only thing to do is accept it and hope that EWs vetting process is as good as they say it is. Minimum orders are being ignored too. Becoming a little disillusioned.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.