Is a Minimum Order Quantity of 3 too high?

I thought that was actually on the lower side, but am I wrong? I have a buyer interested in wholesaling with me, but says she is a smaller shop and that is a lot for her. She offered to maybe raise the minimum order amount (This might be TMI but I currently offer a $100 minimum) in exchange for lowering the minimum quantity for each item. I would really like to earn her business as my wholesale orders have been almost non exsistant since starting on Etsy wholesale, but offering just one of each item at a wholesale price seems odd to me. Anyone else have experience with lower order minimums? Is this normal for smaller wholesale businesses to ask for? Thanks so much for your thoughts!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
15 Replies

Re: Is a Minimum Order Quantity of 3 too high?

3 items is not a wholesale order in my book. My minimum orders start at $300.00 because that's what it takes to make a nice display of my work. Placing 3 items out in a store will barely get them noticed. IMO, it's not to your advantage or her's to start out with such a small investment.
0 Likes

Do you mean she would like to purchase only 3 items total...or 3 of each of some of your items?
0 Likes

Jennifer from theideaboxkids says

Do you mean she would like to purchase only 3 items total...or 3 of each of some of your items?

lol, Maybe I misunderstood. That makes more sense.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Sounds like the buyer wants to purchase 1 of each item (as opposed to the minimum per item of 3 that you currently request) and will purchase enough items to reach your overall minimum order amount of $100 or whatever you two agree on - am I getting that right? So it'll be a box full of different items, one each, right?

I can't produce things as individual items - set up for each of the steps is very time consuming.

And there's always the question, if you give in once...

This is an interesting topic....good luck with whatever you choose to do, SpotLight!
0 Likes

When I worked retail, we didn't usually buy multiple of pieces unless it was a basic kind of item, but would buy the minimum dollar amount. I would definitely let her buy especially considering she's willing to spend money with you. If you've vetted her shop, I would go through with it- and if it sells well you know she'll be back :)
0 Likes

I think it is completely normal for small boutiques to ask this. I sell one of something...as long as the overall quantity of the order is met (I have a quantity minimum and not a dollar minimum). My buyers really like that. It enables them to carry a larger assortment of my items, rather than purchase more of only a few different items. However, that might not fit with certain types of products or businesses. It's kind of a tough one if you have something in your policies and a buyer wants to tweak it ever so slightly. But, this buyer IS willing to meet your dollar amount, right? Even offering to pay more than the minimum required? If you feel you'd like the order, I'd take it. Maybe take another look at your policies to see if this change is something that would work for you on a more permanent basis. Maybe it might be holding some buyers back? I like that the buyer liked your products enough to ask, instead of skipping over you looking for policies from another company that might fit their needs a little better. The jewelry category has the 2nd highest amount of sellers on EW. I don't say that to sway your decision on your policies or disrespect your policies in any way...but, it's competitive out there and if you can work with a buyer and they are willing to pay more than your minimum...and it works for you...it might be worth it.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hmmmm... My minimum quantity is 3 each as well, and I also thought that was low... I have browsed through some line sheets in jewelry and noticed it's all over the place, some have min. quantity of 10 each, some 5 (I saw this a lot) some 2 and others offer 1each.
I guess I thought "wholesale" meant buying in bulk quantities, but if I think about it I wouldn't mind offering 1 each and having my dollar amount minimum met; that way the boutique has a nice variety...
Something to think about this weekend I suppose, and I'm curious as to what you decide to do as well Cat 😊
0 Likes

Such great info. Thanks so much for your thoughts! I think I will try it for now, and see how it goes. Thanks!
0 Likes

Just wanted to give a quick update for any shops with a similar question. The buyer not only placed an order over double what my minimum purchase amount was, but she also still bought my minimum quantity for several items. The invoice is already paid and I'm thrilled to begin establishing what I hope will be a long term relationship with this sweet little boutique. Being willing to work with the buyer made all the difference here and she expressed her gratitude for that in our exchanges. Cheers to my first official Etsy wholesale order! Thank you again everyone for sharing your advice.
0 Likes

Wow....so happy for you! Congrats, Cat!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

That is wonderful to hear! Flexibility...I'm working on it :)
0 Likes

That's awesome, congrats!

I have a minimum of 2 per item, 3 with t-shirts (they are more expensive to produce). I do this because I feel that my products need to be represented on the shelves in order to sell. But I also have a low opening minimum ($100) so that smaller shops can try us out first.

Regardless, it's always good to work on a solution that both of you are happy with : )
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Congrats Cat! So wonderful to hear! I decided to lower my quantities, I'm hoping smaller boutiques will be interested now...still bursting at the seams for my first wholesale order 😁
0 Likes

lol! I am thinking of officially lowering mine now too Sandra! I'm not gonna lie, I feel a little desperate for wholesale orders so I kind of feel like I'm eating my shirt sometimes, but I guess that's the nature of the business. I remember I felt like that about my Etsy shop for the first little bit. Now that my retail shop is completely set up and thriving, I don't feel that same "desperation" :D Hoping my wholesale business will get to that point as well.
0 Likes

CAT thats awesome
oongrats

I have just started to add listings for wholesale and I al stalling because I think I need to show packaging. This is a great question and example, because I also thought wholesale meant large quantity and I had 10 on some of mine which may be too high
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.