StuckOnSilver
Inspiration Seeker

your best photograpy tip

I'm in the team spotlight this week!!

To share all of our successes, tell us your best photography tip!
Mine is practice! I just keep working to find the sweet spot with lighting, settings on my camera, and tweaking photos on the computer.

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
103 Replies
MaryKempStudio
Inspiration Seeker

Re: your best photograpy tip

I find it helps sometimes to shoot with a different camera. You'd be surprised how the results vary. I use my phone, a little point and shoot and a bridge camera at different times and for some shots the phone is the best. But I agree with Bev it's practice, practice, practice.
0 Likes
hooknsaw
Crafty Poster

Using contrasting colors (out of camera range) to get certain colors to photograph well. Purples are hard to photograph for me and I will place other colors around the item while photographing.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

i get the best photos when i take them on sightly cloudy days.no direct sunlight, no heavy rain just a few clouds before the sun .
0 Likes
HoneyThistle
Inspiration Seeker

Focus & white balance are key for me - it really helps to cut down the editing work afterwards. Also, I love shooting beside a window and outdoors before sunset.
0 Likes

The same as Barbara. Light is key for me. No direct sunlight. I usually take pictures in my room around 3 o'clock using natural light flooding in through windows. And of course, practice and practice!
0 Likes

When photographing shiny silver i try to remember to wear white so my clothing color doesn't reflect in the silver.
0 Likes

Shooting outside with a lightbox. The lightbox really helps cut out the glare when photographing shiny metal.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Read the manual lol. When I bought a new camera it was beefier than my previous workhorse, but boy after i figure out where everything was it became a lot easier to learn on. Not that I'm that great yet.....
0 Likes

Use a tripod and the self-timer or whatever the timer on your camera is called. Then you can photo in much lower light than hand held and keep everything sharp. Also, you can just replace items in front of the lens if you are photographing several similar things, which saves time as taking 5 shots of everything is time consuming. . .
0 Likes

I agree to soft, naturally diffused light or by using a light box. I have two batteries and always have a back up charged so I don't have to stop when I am on a roll. I focus on avoiding strong shadows so there is not a lot of editing. Also it is important to remove fingerprints. Wow, they really show up in photos. I also try to focus on each item and take the time it as if it were a human model. These pictures a a major part of selling the item and they need to look their best. I find when I rush, it shows. Yes, yes, yes to practice, practice, practice. Best of everything to all of us.
0 Likes

Use a piece of white foam core to bounce light into shadows.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

definitely natural light! I shoot by a window, not at direct sunlight and I try different times of the day. some early in the morning, some midday, and some just at sunset. also just be yourself, not too posey but not lacking professionalism either. your personality will always come through in your pics when done correctly. :)
0 Likes
MaryKempStudio
Inspiration Seeker

Has any one any tips about photographing paintings?
0 Likes

Hi Mary, lovely paintings! The only tips I could offer are taking close-ups of part of the picture to try and show texture. My pictures are mostly small (3" x 3") so I decided to use angled close-up photos as the main ones in my listings. I'm currently working on re-taking all mine, and will be including a shot of each one framed, lying flat, with some "props" (ink, pen, brush etc) - that's my second tip and something that was mentioned in the lab the other day. If you look at my black and purple cat picture, you'll see what I mean (they're still "test" photos, I need to re-do them!). Happy painting!
0 Likes
StuckOnSilver
Inspiration Seeker

https://www.etsy.com/listing/179482442/oil-painting-two-dogs-sand-and-sea?ref=shop_home_active_13

Hi, Mary, I looked at this listing. I think the distance and tilt detract from this photo, but including the frame is important because it's part of the listing. A flat photo, like most of your other primary photos might be better.
0 Likes

Don't procrastinate ;) I need to follow this tip.
0 Likes
TikasDesigns
Inspiration Seeker

Anyone have tips on photographing red or pink items, im still working with my cell phone and my lighting attempts suck so far.,,,,,sigh
0 Likes

I can't photograph silver jewelry, indoors or out, no matter what I do or how much equipment I buy for reflections, light box, whatever, the jewelry reflects and is flat.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I'm with Jen Jacobs -- would love any tips on photographing reds! Thanks!
0 Likes

Back on the subject of photographing artwork again, just came across this shop via another thread with such beautiful and creative photos - here's a great one of a large picture:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/210987534/panorama-of-forest-fine-art-giclee-print?ref=shop_home_act...
0 Likes
happywrap
Inspiration Seeker

White balance. If your camera has the facility to set the white balance it makes a huge difference. It is well worth the effort in learning how to do it. Once you look at 'before' and 'after' shots you will notice how easily images can have a blue or yellow tinge to it when the white balance has not been set.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hi. I have to take pictures of a bulk glass engraving, and this is not easy. Glass reflects a lot. We have to take pictures in the dark on a long exposure with one rasseenym light source.

www.etsy.com/ru/listing/244755090/priznanie-v-lubvi?ref=shop_home_active_7
0 Likes

For silver and other reflecty objects - I play with my camera angles. Move around until you get the least reflection off your shiny surface. If the light just isn't right, try a different time of day. And I always use natural light, never direct. I'm shooting on white posterboard.

I also make sure I'm not wearing anything the silver will pick up - red is particularly bad. I try to wear black or something else neutral when I shoot my shiny jewelry. I've even got a different cover for my iPod (gray) that I use when I'm putting photos on Instagram - the pink one tends to reflect a bit. :D
0 Likes
huecompleteme
Inspiration Seeker

ad a well known item so that customers know the scale of what you are selling.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.