Your Customer Service Tips!!!

Jump to solution
Hey all!

I am working on a post about customer service, especially as it relates to the holidays, and I’d love to hear from you! What tips can you share for providing great customer service through the busiest, and often most stressful time of the year?

What do you communicate to your customers to make sure they have the best experience buying from you? What policies have you developed to set expectations and ensure smooth transactions?

I am interested in:

- best practices for keeping customers
- ways to build and foster great buyer-seller relationships

I’m also interested in the challenges you face. How do you handle when something goes wrong? For example, what if a package you send doesn’t arrive? What if a customer reports the item you sent not as described?

While I am asking you how you deal with such scenarios, PLEASE take care to not discuss individual transactions here. We are looking for general tips, not specific examples, as we cannot discuss specific transactions or members here. Thank you!

I am really looking forward to learning from you!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Re: Your Customer Service Tips!!!

Jump to solution
These are great so far!! Thank you for taking the time to share! Keep em coming...

View solution in original post

0 Likes

Jump to solution
Hey all,

Just wanted to thank you all for your amazing contributions here. I wish I could have included them all in the blog post: http://www.etsy.com/blog/en/2012/your-customer-service-guide/

You're the best!

Audrey

View solution in original post

0 Likes
43 Replies

Jump to solution
We do a lot of custom engraved cutting boards as wedding gifts that get sent directly to the gift recipient, and i always take photos of the board, engraving details, packaging and the gift card to send to the purchaser!

They always appreciate the gesture SO MUCH =)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
I love Etsy for the individual customer service we can provide. It's easy to get caught up in the selling portion but I think customer service starts with our listing descriptions, about pages, profiles, and policies. I dont want to come across as stiff or formal so I keep my descriptions light and friendly. A lot of moms and grandmas buy from me and i want them to feel comfortable with me. I always try to answer convos within the first hour they are sent. I also try to answer questions as directly as possible so as to not confuse the customer.

As far as how to handle when something goes wrong. I accidentally made an item with the wrong color. I apologized and asked them to send the item back to me ASAP & I had the new item plus a little extra for their inconvience ready to ship that day.

Things happen and we are all human and I think as long as you have great communication things will all work out fine.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I have had a custom engraved board reported that it was not delivered weeks after i got a delivery confirmation email! I nicely asked the customer to work with my shipping company to see if they could locate it, and check the other doors at their house just in case it was left at a back door =)

When they confirmed they couldn't find it, i redid the whole board with engraving with another similar board and sent it to her completely free of any additional charge. A month later i got the original board sent back to me! C'est la vie. =D

Moral of the story, i strive for the best customer service, in the long term it is the best business strategy possible!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Respond to conversations in a timely manner, I always respond the same day. Be sure to answer all of their questions and be polite, thanking them for their inquiry.

I always wrap my items nicely in tissue paper and branded stickers, but when an item is ordered as a gift I send an extra set of tissue paper and stickers for the purchaser to re wrap the gift after they have checked it out.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
No matter how busy you are, always acknowledge your customer by sending them a quick message, a thank you and an order update will put your customers mind at rest.

If you have a customer that still hasn't received their order, don't wonder where it's got to or how it could've gone missing. Trace the order, check dates/addresses and get back to your customer as soon as possible. Offer them a full refund or a guaranteed replacement in the post.

If a potential customer is concerned about an item reaching them in time for Christmas, just be honest. Don't give them false hope, an honest answer will gain you and your shop respect.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I knit personalized Christmas stockings. I send photos when I have half of a stocking done, and then when it's finished (or if I knit more than 1 stocking, I just send 1 photo), always asking and making sure, it's as the customer wants it.

Communication is the key! I have a waiting period of about 8 weeks now, so I always mention that if somebody contacts me before placing an order, or I confirm the date when it should be finished (asking if that's ok for them, otherwise I'd have to cancel the sale).

I'm also always polite ("thank you for your interest") and reply to messages as soon as possible.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
My tips:

*Responding quickly to customer inquiries about price/size/custom orders.
*If there is any dissatisfaction with the purchase I either exchange the item or refund based on what the customer prefers.
*I send emails to notify customers when I ship their items and also thank them as soon as I received their order.
*I have found that if a buyer is engaging in an email about their background or why they are interested in a photo, it helps to converse back about yourself and the inspiration behind the work. It helps build that connection.
*Go out of your way to research possibilities to make a customer's idea happen.
*Have a brand that makes your shop recognizable. Incorporate that brand into your business cards, packaging and presentation.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
I find that unique (free) gifts---ranging from handmade thank you notes to samples from your shop---are very appreciated and do lead to repeat orders.

It pays to treat every order like a gift you'd want to receive.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
My tips here -

* respond as soon as possible to all customer inquiries.
* always thank customers for their purchase.
* go beyond for the customer - ie: offer to hand write a gift card or wrap for free
* try to ship faster than your estimate
* if there is an issue, the customer is the one that needs to be made happy and keep the communication active during the process of trying to rectify the situation
* since I expect professionalism and high quality items and service from others, I will provide the same.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
I had a package that seemingly went astray (according to the tracking) last Christmas. The PO told us - the customer and myself - that it was coming back to me in NC (she was in NJ). She was panicked, because the package was supposed to go with her on Tuesday to a relative's house for Christmas. I confirmed that I'd sent it to the right address, I called the PO, we couldn't figure out what had happened.

I promptly offered to overnight her the items again. She caught me just in time - her husband walked in from the mailbox with the package in her hand. We still can't figure out what happened or why the tracking went astray the way it did.

She left me extraordinary feedback. Lesson learned? Bend over backwards to make sure your customers are happy - within reason, of course. If it is absolutely not your fault or their fault, step up and at least TRY to take care of the situation. Holidays are high stress times, and people are anxious about their packages. Make sure your product is well packaged, neatly addressed, and for Heaven's sake, get tracking on your packages. PayPal does it for free on everything but Parcel Post, and even then, it's only about $.20.

Be polite, even if they're not (this lady was a dream - she just wanted her stuff!!). You never know how it will pay out in the end to really take good care of a customer.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I always email the customer letting them know when their purchase has been sent out. I give an estimate of when they can expect to receive their parcel, including any delay information from the postal service website if relevant. For example the Royal Mail website is telling us that USPS have a 3-day backlog at a certain airport due to customs regulations at the moment. This helps to put the customer's mind at rest if their parcel doesn't arrive as quickly as expected.

If there is going to be more than a day's delay before posting (it happens sometimes!) I contact them straight away to let them know when their item will be posted and why there is a delay.

Honesty is the best policy!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
My top tips are to respond to convos asap when someone is asking information - more importantly, pre-empt all the potential questions and put the answers in your description.

I wrap items in pretty packages and include a small note to say thank you for the order.

I offer replacements (where possible) and refunds if items don't arrive. In these situations I ask nicely for the customer to check with their local depot as sometimes the delivery man fails to leave a card. If it's not there, I replace/refund asap.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I make use of the tools Etsy provides. I have a thank you note set up to go out with each sale that also asks them to convo me with any questions or concerns.

I respond asap to questions and customization requests.

I also have a note set up for shipping notification that I edit once I've shipped to let my customer know it's on it's way and I make sure to include tracking info.

I also include a hand written thank you in the package itself.

Knock on wood I haven't had any problems bigger than delivery taking a day or two longer than expected.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
A large % of my orders are custom and it can get overwhelming during a holiday. Mother's Day was soo busy!

First, I have always offered an "easy peasy" return kit in my shop. Customers are assured that in the event that something isn't right, I have already thought of a way to make the return/repair/exchange process easy for them.

Communication is key. Promptly respond to orders, convos & messages and ensure you have a way to keep added details that are agreed upon after an order is received trackable so the customer get's what they expect.

Digital proofs are invaluable and I make it as easy as possible for customers to make changes etc during the proofing process.

I always tell customers when an item is going to ship, am honest with them if they need something faster than I can deliver it and then each customer gets an email when their item ships with a tracking #. I also proactively follow up on al my shipments to ensure they have arrived. (US only - there is no tracking on international unfortunately)

A handwritten thank you note, offering a card with their message for a gift and nice packaging is also always appreciated.

For some reason, I seem to get a lot of orders that are "remembrance" items. I have had a couple where a little thing went wrong and in those cases I never require them to send the item back. I simply make a new one and send it out. In so many cases, they are parents who have lost children and the last thing they want is to be without their item.

To me, it's not the mistake that defines you - it's how you conduct yourself and treat your customer after one that does.

If there is an issue with shipping (sometimes USPS has a hiccup) I make it my job to find out what happened, where it is and take care of it for the customer. I also communicate with them telling them what I am doing to resolve the issue and when they will next hear from me.

I never imagined I would have a business that was mostly custom - but creating items for people has been incredibly rewarding.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
I try to respond immediately to custom requests. Sometimes that means I'm pecking away at my iphone in the middle of the night. But, there are just so many options here on Etsy, that if you don't respond immediately, your customer may choose to go somewhere else!

I package every product in a gift box with bright ribbon and a magnet business card. I include a handwritten note with every purchase too.

To encourage repeat customers, especially with Christmas coming, I have been including a "Loyalty" coupon code on the back of the thank you note.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
In my book The customer is king!

If a parcel doesn't arrive, I agree a date within which it should have reasonably arrived, if it has not, I will send a replacement or offer refund, no questions asked!

If something is damaged in the post, and they send a photo, I will offer to replace or refund immediately, without them having to send it back. I have experienced a customer asking for a replacement and ordering even more which is fabulous!

I always reply quickly to questions, and if there are any problems or delays with making an order, I tell the customer immmediately! In my experience they always respond very well and often return to my shop with more orders.

I always wrap beautifully, including a handwritten personal note and a discount coupon code for any future orders. Sometimes I include a small free gift, or sprinkle some little hearts or stars in the package!

If an order is a gift, to be sent directly to someone, with a message, I will make a card and hand write the message as beautifully as I can.

I also try to ship as quickly as possible, usually ship first class mail, and will comunicate any delays.

I hope this is helpful
Marieanne
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Ooo and I always leave lovely feedback for the customer!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
My motto is "treat every customer like gold", no matter how big or small.

I wish my products were extra special, but the fact is there are loads of sellers doing very similar items to my own. So I need to go the extra mile and show the customer I appreciate their business.

I answer convos promptly, I ship orders in 1-2 business days, I send them a personalized "thank you" message and write them a note with their order.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
My tips all have to do with communication. To me, that is one of the most important aspects of good customer service:

- answer all inquires the same day, even if it's just to say "I got your message and will look into it. I'll get back to you tomorrow with an answer"
- post your holiday shipping cut-off times in your shop announcement so that customers know what to expect and can plan accordingly
- communicate accurate rush shipping quotes for the last-minute shoppers (especially important for sellers outside the U.S.)
- respond to every sale with a short thank-you convo that informs the customer when their order will ship and approximately how long it will take to arrive

I think that with good communication, a lot of potential problems with orders can be avoided. If a package does go astray, do right by the customer even if it means a loss for you. It's not your fault that an order went missing, but it's certainly not the customer's fault either. Think about what will be better for your business in the long term.
0 Likes
Rt9NJvintageFun
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution
Thanks for the opportunity to post some Customer Service tips for the Team.

Having spent my entire working career in retail management and have lived all over the US, I have seen alot of unhappy relationships with customers. Companies have not made their monthly sales goals, because of an uneducated and unprofessional staff who was running their brick and mortar locations. They win the battle with the upset customer but loose the war!

Before opening my Shop a year ago, I did alot of research buying from on line retailers, including numerous Etsy Shops. When I opening my Shop up I had the insight to head off potential problems at the pass. My objective is to make my customer just as excited when they clicked on my item to purchase as they open their package!

Here are some of my Tips to help our Team members to be less stressful, get good feedback and keep motivated to list new items.

1. At the bottom of every listing, I indicated that if a any one, potential buyer or window shopper has a question, send me a convo and I will respond instantly. Thanks to my i-Phone that is possible, and can respond instantly.

2. When a customer buys an item, they receive a thank you convo. I indicated when the item will be shipped, and that I will be convo-ing them and sending them an e-mail with the method of shipping and expected arrival date. I get numerous new customers to Etsy, they do not know how to look at their Etsy tool bar for a convo, but they do read their personal e-mail, so that solves that problem.

3. Regardless of having the ship date and deliver dates on the bottom of my listing, I immediately get the item packed up and shipped out the next day.Here I am trying to raise the expectations of my Shop.

4. Since my background experience is brick and mortar I I was always able to meet the customer, listen to their needs and give them, or direct them to what they were looking for. When opening my Shop I was concerned that now the ability to greet my customer was gone, on line. So, in able to overcome that ,I decided to wrap all my vintage items in vintage fabric and ribbons, wrap them as a gift, and enclose a personal thank you note.

5.Once the package has been shipped I finish the sale off with the shipping notification and personal e-mail. They receive the method of shipping, tracking number and expected arrival date. What saves me time is the tracking method is tied into my personal e-mail, so I know when the package is actually delivered to their address.

Bottom line is, yes I do have to purchase vintage fabrics, not just bubble wrap and packing tape, let's not forget the peanuts. I have given my customers the Fun in vintage, this is my personal back-story for them.

Every item that is purchased is special and is treated with Fun and respect that drives my motivation. Reading my feedback and thank you convos from my customers make it easy for me to get up early on weekends to hit as many estate sales, flea markets and honey holes. Then then entire process begins all over again.

0 Likes

Jump to solution
1. Respond to questions as quickly as possible. I often respond to Convos at 1am UK time! It ensures I get a lot of sale where the buy may otherwise have gone elsewhere.
2. Put in each of my listings that I post the very next day after purchase - main reason was that I used to get a lot of overnight convos asking how quickly I ship. By the time I responded, it was too late for the buyer!
3. Be very clear about condition of the items and give good, honest descriptions including dimensions.
4. Always be polite, no matter how difficult a transaction or customer!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
These are great so far!! Thank you for taking the time to share! Keep em coming...
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
I think that in today's economoy where people are always looking for a deal and at the same time big box businesses are cutting prices for sales, customer service is more important than ever. People (at least I know for myself) want to feel the value in the dollar spent and that comes not just in the product but also in the service that comes with it.

My tips are these:

-Building customer relationship (helps referrals and repeat business)

I do this by engaging with my customers. Every item I ship has a bio card about me and Midwest Crochet to let them know more about me and also a hand-written thank you note.

- Be responsive. Even if the answer is not what the customer wants, be responsive and professional. I had a situation where a customer was not happy due to the post delaying delivery. This was not my fault and there was nothing I could do. BUT I was able to talk to the customer, help them with possible alternative solutions and be understanding of their frustration.

By not getting defensive (oh that's not my fault mindset) and being quick to respond to the customer we were able to come up with a solution that met her needs.

-Underpromise and overdeliver! I strive for excellence in my business but never want to let a customer down on a promise I cannot meet.

- treat your customers with respect and appreciation. This does not mean be overbearing but rather, I appreciate that in all of the items on the interwebs, they selected to buy mine. What an honor! and I RESPECT that they worked hard for their dollar and chose to spend it in my shop.

AND BACK TO RELATIONSHIPS and building that return business:
an excerpt from my QYDJ interview:

When I was a kid, we always went to the same pizzeria down the street and the same news-stand on the corner and the same coffee shop in NYC. People knew me and I knew them. While the web opens up the world as a marketplace, it also takes away that neighborhood feel. I want those close relationships with my customers and vendors. While it is important to grow and get new customers, you need to build longstanding return business.

0 Likes

Jump to solution
I forgot to say that I've had 1 customer in over 200 sales who wasn't totally happy though they left +ve feedback, so I imediately offered them a refund or replacement. They declined and said there was no need but thanked me.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.