Former_Member
Not applicable

Would you tell people where you buy your supplies?

I've had a couple of people convo me asking where I buy certain supplies, and I've told them. Was I wrong to do this?

Would you tell people where you buy your supplies?

If not, how would you politely tell them you'd rather not reveal your sources?
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
12 Replies
Natalya1905
Conversation Maker

Re: Would you tell people where you buy your supplies?

I know some people who are ready to reveal their suppliers. Others, including me, would not. It took me MANY hours to find the best suppliers (great quality, reasonable price, flawless customer service), and I don't feel I am ready to share this information with my competitors. :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I've spent a lot of time and energy finding the best supplies too, but I'm just not very good at turning people down. After all, who knows if they'd use the supplies to copy my work or to create something new, the latter of which I would like to see.

How would you say no, politely?
0 Likes
Lybo
Inspiration Seeker

I think I would always tend to share — I had someone convo me recently to ask how I had made something (bird's legs actually!!) and although it had taken me a while to figure out how to do it I was happy to share. I would like to think that others would share in the same way and that's the beauty of a community like this. Maybe I'm naive I think sharing in this way can only be positive.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I have mixed feelings about it. I know the frustration of trying to find specific supplies and hitting multiple dead ends and needing someone to help or at least point you in the right direction. At the same time, from a business standpoint, it makes no sense to help your competition by giving them your list of suppliers, if you want to stay successful.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I wouldn't have a problem revealing my suppliers.

Maybe it's because of the nature of my business which is pottery. I use Potclays in Stoke on Trent (UK). They're the best and I'd like everyone to know that.

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

It's an interesting discussion. I would have no problem passing on my printer's details but I realise that is something a bit different. But I would like to move into other products and have tried to search for them and can't find something. When I see someone else selling a product I had in mind I'd love to ask them their supplier source. But I'm too shy to ask. Now I think I will see if they are the sharing kind in future :)
0 Likes
HopscotchCouture
Inspiration Seeker

I put in my post where I got some of my supplies if they are on Etsy. Everyone wins with cross promotion. Some of the suppliers have even put my work on their FB page. They all appreciate the mention. Pay it forward always works.
0 Likes
GoTo
Crafty Poster

I'd be willing to share info on supplies of common items sometimes, but special things that are hard to find or might make my work unique are trade secrets. :)

Sadly there's a fair amount of copying...
0 Likes

I share some, other things I am vague about.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I've found, that many of the hearts my shop (handmade supplies) gets is of "secret admirers" my first attempt to conquer etsy was a jewelry shop, there was barely one (if at all) secret admirer, so I think it is very related to your question.
I even decided not to include nicknames of custom orders customers into the listings anymore - to protect their anonymity.
0 Likes
HeritagePlateArt
Inspiration Seeker

good topic, this really depends on the nature of your shop. I can understand why jewelry crafters would hesitate on sharing, they would'nt want exact duplicates of their pieces out there. but I give info freely, after all most of the stenciled sign makers buy our stencils from the same 6 or 7 stencil makers anyway, but it's talent that really sets your shop apart from the rest, not everyone can buy a stencil and just start producing quality primitive signs, I've been woodworking for 30 years + some techniques just come with practice and experience..
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

It depends.

I share my suppliers with my friends.

At the market where I sell during the summer when people ask me, I always just say, "The internet." People there are always just trying to copy and undersell. . .
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.