Former_Member
Things are tough when your category has 2,000,000 items, and you have 40.
You must do everything possible to give yourself a chance to be found. I dont see that in threads compalining about low views.
And, it isnt that hard, nor does it take much time to have good tags and titles. Ignore all that constant "tweaking" noise you read about. Do it right the first time, and you can spend the tweaking time making things.

I have learned the following from the Queen of SEO:

1.Your title is not the name of your item. It is a 70 character string whose goal is to get your item found by etsy search.

2. If you cant tell exactly what the item is by reading your tags, your tags stink. Those words are what people search on. If I had a dime for every purple necklace that had neither purple nor necklace in the tags, I would have a lot of dimes.

3. Words in your title must show up in your tags. If Blue scarf is in your title, blue scarf needs to be in your tags.

4. Use as many of the 20 characters in your tags as possible. Blue scarf as one tag is better than blue, then scarf as two tags.

5.Read about SEO at cindys seo group. she is very wise. http://www.etsy.com/teams/10713/cindylouwho-team/discuss/10196168/

the end
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Why you are not getting found newbies

I have never participated in such a vibrant and informative discussion on Etsy! Hats off, Alex! You could start your own Etsy Advice column! I have to read through all these posts again and take some notes.

I have another question - and anybody who feels they can answer this please jump in!

I changed some of my titles to help get more views through Browse, changing "Cat girl cameo pendant necklace" to Women' Halloween accessory. Cat girl..." I actually did this after reading someone else's post who recommended it. So I guess this is not the way to go? ( My sales are way down no matter what I do..!)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

amanda from

omg you are selling bras!!!!!

I love your page already

so... no bras fit your ample bosoms so you made your own!!!! You are my kinda gal. I am impressed

however....
you made a custom bra for yourself first, so I am sure it is perfect for you. The one I would buy from you is off the rack, so how would I know if my bosoms would find a home?

my former had a heckuva time finding the right sports bra, though she was a 34b. She told me why, but I wasnt listening, as she was wearing said sports bra at the time, and, you know...
anywho, she would pay what ever it costs for the right one.
as I am sure other dames would.
the hot blonde doesnt seem to be wearing the bra shown in the photos
your titles could use some mo specificity, but they aint bad

i like how your feedback leavers gave you ideas

you need someone famous to wear one. like jessica biel. she has great thingies, works a lot and will probably be prego soon.

your shop looks fine, you need to get the word out in other ways.
longer titles

do you specialize in big breasts? Find a way to use that, in a more genteel way of course.

i think you got something here
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Check me too please!!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

mary , i have no clue about the new browse stuff

someone did claim that they found a way to game it, but I did not read it

i dont think the time I need to expend on it is worth the return at this point

i need to make a lot of stuff

wholesale is driving me nucking futs
0 Likes

Alex,
What an awesome thread you have here. I have been reading and laughing for about a half hour now. Your sense of humor is very comical and it brightened up my day. Thank you!!!!

Thanks for all the advise, I've been working on tags and photos for days now. I'm hoping you accept!!!!

Let me know your thoughts if you can.

Thanks
~Donna
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thanks again Alex! Much appreciated. I hope you get some of your own work done. It is really nice stuff.

btw - I am not a cat lady. Just trying stuff out. ; )
0 Likes

Hi Alex!
Great thread! Rate my shop, please, do I get a B?
0 Likes

You have quite the list of requests, but I would like to add my name! Your reviews are insightful and we can all learn from what you have to say. Plus you are funny. Thanks.
0 Likes

I could definitely use some help. I keep tweeking, but nothing I do really helps so far. I get extremely low views, and after a year, only 2 sales from my shop, and about 6 custom orders for cookie jar lids. Not much.
0 Likes
PollyAJewellery
Inspiration Seeker

Alex, your comments are cracking me up! The lack of views I'm getting on my shop isn't though. If / whenever you have a moment I'd massively love you to look at what I'm doing wrong. I'll patiently wait in the queue like a nice english lady.
0 Likes

Thank you! Oh my, you are seriously very funny. I appreciate your perspective :)
0 Likes

Hi Alex,

What about me? I posted earlier as well...:) really need some help here---of course when you're done with your work and when you feel like talking to us.
Thaaaaank you very very much.

Lisu
0 Likes

my former had a heckuva time finding the right sports bra, though she was a 34b. She told me why, but I wasnt listening, as she was wearing said sports bra at the time, and, you know...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Classic! I just finished reading this thread, The highlight of my day. Thanks for the entertaining information, Alex. I applied to the CindyLouWho team. I'm always looking for advice from successful Etsians. Maybe I need to figure out a way to work cleavage pics into my pottery shots ;)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Alex, thank you so much for the critique! It was very encouraging and I will try to stop biting my nails...okay, that's a lie, but hopefully not many people notice! ;-)

I am using Wanelo and I have gotten one sale from it, so I've been trying my best to keep my page trendy and nice for the people that find it.

Your critiques are, hands down, the best thing I've found in helping to make real changes in peoples' shops. Thank you for being willing to do this for everyone!

Cheers!
Jamie
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Alex, Thank you for taking the time to do this. By far the best critiques I have seen in the forums. Would you please add my shop to the list if you have the time! My sales were strong in early 2012 but views slowed down through the summer and have yet to pick back up. Thanks!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Alex - I assumed you would know from my post that I wanted a critique but I should have learned by now NEVER to assume. So here is my info again and please take a look at my shop and tell me what you think when you have the time. Thank you!
I'm celebrating my 3 month anniversary and my shop is a constant work in progress. Currently I'm switching over to all white backgrounds and improving my descriptions. Since opening, I've had over 6,000 views, over 1,000 favorites, 25 purchases through Etsy totaling $271.00 and 33 purchases from my first home show with sales totaling $200. Would you please take a look at my shop and give me tips where I can improve even further? This is my full time job so I have a lot of time to devote to evolving into an even more successful shop. Thanks again!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

haahaa heehee ( on the floor!)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

elizabeth valentino
is that your real name and real picture?
If so, that can help you. Girls like buying clothes from hot chicks with cool names. Have you noticed that?

you sell vintage stuff
i just heard a story on some vintage chick on the hifi. She was a student here at CMU, and started selling vintage clothing outta her dorm room. She now employs 270 people. She goes by modcloth, or modclothes or something.

anywho..

I like your photos. Though I would like to see the soles of those shoes. You can only resole shoes twice. So, i would like to see if they are original.
i would research the ages of your stuff if you dont know.
wait .. i see various decades for the age
how bout more descriptions as to condition of shoes?
do chicks buy old shoes?
i am clueless
I aint positive, but I dont think ON sale should be at the front of your titles. I do know the google dont like it.
so... there are no size tags on the dresses? is that normal?
dont think I would buy something like that.
you say your return policy is case by case
hmmm
thats the way I would handle it, but I dont think its a good way.
what do other vintage clothing chicks do?
that is a toughie
mebbe someone will chime in

i see you have an aversion to using 13 tags. Each is a chance to be found, and you are not using them.
tsk tsk
type in your best tags in search, look down at the bottom at the suggested searches, and use them. there are some good ones for leather briefcase.

I think you should model the clothes that fit you.
youre smokin
ergo
potential buyers think they will be smokin if they had that dress.
all the clothes you are selling have already been worn a lot.

you are doing more things right than not
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thanks for the help. Heading of to check the website you suggested. If you have a moment how can I improve my shop? Working on more listings. What is your opinion on etsy shop ads?

Thanks for your help,
Margie
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

i never used search ads, though i will.
I dont like pay per impression for a lot of reasons (pay per click makes much more sense), but my keywords are the cheapest out there.

i suspect they will help people with proven items, but will be disappointing to noobs. Makes sense dont it? With a proven item , we know that people click it and buy it. With a noob, we have no data on the noobs stuff, it may suck so bad no one will buy it, or it may be the next lava lamp.

better to spend the sawbuck on that then cat toys.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I think I may stop using them. Costing me way more then I'm making.

Thanks

0 Likes
vw53
Etsy Seller

OMG! I just read this from beginning to end. Alex, you are awesome. I enjoyed it very much and learned a lot. I am hoping that I can get some help too. I get very few views. I have been here for about 9 months and have about 9 sales. Not what I was hoping for. I bet if you took a look at my shop you could figure out what my problem is. This is my full time job and I would appreciate it soooo much. I can't even imagine how busy you must be with all these requests but I hope to hear from you!
Thanks from us all,
Vicky
0 Likes
vw53
Etsy Seller

Oh by the way, I messed up with the name of my shop. It is actually supposed to be my user name. And A Stitch In Time is already taken on Etsy. I was wondering if you would have any suggestions for a new name for my shop. I did have more doll clothes, but they didn't sell very well at all, so I am letting those expire and adding new items. Thanks again for all your words of wisdom.
Vicky
0 Likes

Hey, Alex, I have learnt so much from reading through your posts. You are one funny guy and extremely giving of your time and knowledge too.

Now I am off to add inches to my measurements for those that arent into metric and to tweak a few tags too.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

lauren from st pete
i saw mosaics so I had to look

i have been commenting on a lot of items I know nothing about. But...I learned what a bolero is, and stuff about bra straps.

I know a tad more about mosaics. I intend to share it with you, whether you want to hear it or not.
you may want a glass of wine first...

youre doin pretty good!! whaddya shootin for, now that you taste blood? I say a thou a month minimum.
you sell a lot of custom I see. Over Deliver On Those. Very Important. Dont give a 15% discount if they ask, but give them 15% better stuff. Know what I say ? "you cant pay me enough to do a halfass job".
buh rilliant
I am going to find a place in my shop for that one.

frames
i dont see the backs ( i forget that too)

laurenlauren facepalm(with eyeroll) lauren

mosaic frame olive green

thats the worst title ive seen since Fat Naked Hairy Old Guys On The Toilet

etsy aint charging you by the word

Mosaic Tile 4x6 picture frame Olive green earthtone recycled tiles

eenymeeny..

does it hang two ways?
how do i put the picture in? turnbuttons?
recycled tile? how do they pry them off?
you could ez get 35 for that

all of your prices are too low
by $10
I dont want to get too good of a deal.
The more I pay, the better I like it.

you have the about page done. good for you. people want to know about you.

I want to come to your shop and dump out all those tiles and mush them together. I am not real tidy. And I would steal your dog.
real sweet stuff. you give a good vibe.

oh they have an easel back, so no hanging
i've sold 100s, they all hang. I think i had one person ask for a sitter
hmm

half of those tags have to go or be doubled
you dont have 4x6 there either
i get hits on that
you know whats good? you are doin fine with crap titles.
sorta like a hot chick covered in mud

also, on a creative note.... I would like to see you let it go a little. frames dont have to be rectangles. you will do fine doing what youre doin, but i would like to see you get more out there. Have some wine

people pay more for mirrors than for a same size frame
makes no sense
hanging frames and mirrors should hang two or more ways
I want to see a purely artistic non functional piece.
you get mo money for those
you really do

is there are wall hook with little mirror?
you can look thru my solds and steal some mosaic ideas
see what sells good?
get your husband to buy a scroll saw and cut you any shape you want
or you can do it if you aint already
the leaves are cute, but I want more out there.
you have a few decent titles, but this aint one of them:

mosaic mirror

really lauren??

wow, they tags are pretty good for that one
who did them?

so, go read the cindy lou team stuff
fix stuff up
you will do really good
really

i would buy stock in you

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.