CaseyHPerez
Inspiration Seeker

Whole Sale request

I just got a request from a company that does subscription gift boxes and they want to use an apron that I make in it. They are asking for 30 aprons in a week at a whole sale price. The are made to order, so at the moment I have 2 half made. Hah.

So they want the items at %50, regular whole sale price. My aprons are $30, my costs are around $5 an apron and they take me about an hour and a half to make one and have my art work printed on them.

I don't think that %50 is really worth all the time I would be putting into getting 30 aprons finished in a week... I am not sure yet if they are willing to negotiate a better price.

I know its hard to ask as it varies person from person greatly... but what would be a fair price to give them without feeling like I was working for hardly nothing...?
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
12 Replies
msformaldehyde
Inspiration Seeker

Re: Whole Sale request

Tell them that you want 20 per apron and have them ask for 40.00
0 Likes
CaseyHPerez
Inspiration Seeker

Thats about where I am I think. I just looked at their website... the box is $42 a box and they have just one item in a box.
0 Likes

i also don't do wholesale at 50% - i usually say 30% because otherwise it isn't worth it to me
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I agree with well above 50%, don't sell yourself short. if you lose the order but feel do it the right way, that's much better than fulfilling the order and feeling cheated by it :) best of luck, I hope they pay you what you deserve.
0 Likes
CaseyHPerez
Inspiration Seeker

Thanks Janelle, I can do 30%. Thats what I'll try to do with them.
0 Likes

According to a formula that I usually use (suppliesx2.5+whatever you want to be paid an hour) is what your retail price should be. So, if you are paying yourself $10.00/ hour for example, you should charge about $27.5. Think about all your overhead costs. Are you including that in the $5.00 cost of your apron? What about listing fees, shipping, etc. Don't forget to add all that into your cost.
Good luck.
0 Likes
Suniq
Crafty Poster

I agree with Janelle, I don't do wholesale and I say %30 or %25 Off , depending to the item, I got requests from 6 different boutiques but I've worked with 2 of them. well I'm happy of my decision cause it isn't worth it to me. I would say 20$ for each apron.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

have you thought about adding conditions for wholesale to your shop policies. assuming someone reads them, they will know right away what they are at.
0 Likes

I will offer a maximum of 40% for wholesale work, as that is the way my pricing structure works. It will depend with a few pieces, as making a batch of items may take less time than making them individually, but if it doesn't, I can't offer discounts on my labour costs.

Perhaps let them know what you would rather your terms would be. Have a good think, and add some policies into your shop about how you might take wholesale sales. Perhaps you would only offer 50% if they purchase 100 units, but from your pricing structure, it sounds like that would be a kick in your profits. Work out a pricing structure specifically for making items in bulk
Is there any way you can create them faster or streamline your process?

Something along the lines of this might help:
"Dear --
Thank you for your interest in my ----. Due to these articles being handmade, I would be happy to to offer a --% discount for wholesale lots. I already try to price these items as fairly as possible, being fair to myself whilst also being fair to my customers, so as a result, my pricing structure would not allow me to offer a discount of 50%.
Should the --% discount be agreeable, please do let us know so that we may get started on your order for an estimated dispatch date of --.
Kind regards,
Cassi Jo and Casey Perez
BohemianHabits"

I might also suggest putting your prices up slightly, which would allow you yo make a decent profit, and not take such a massive hit with a wholesale order. With a wholesale order, you should still be making back your materials, expenses and labour costs- as well as profit. You shouldn't be breaking even. Ever!
Good luck :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

If you are selling your aprons for $30 (retail) then your wholesale price would be $15 each if purchased in quantity.

If you can't sell them at a wholesale price and still make a profit, I'd strongly suggest that you increase your prices.

Your wholesale pricing formula should be based on Cost of materials, cost of your time and the profit that you want for each piece.

Your retail price is generally 2x your wholesale price.

Don't sell yourself short!!
0 Likes

0 Likes
PALEOLOCHIC
Inspiration Seeker

I agree with Crochetgal! many sellers at Etsy put their prices cheaper thinking that they will sell better and they loose opportunities and money when someone ask for a wholesale. With Etsy wholesale coming up sellers will have to re think their retail prices if they don't want to loose business oportunities. Pricint handmade items low don't help either you or other sellers at Etsy.
A good video to watch is: The art for pricing for profit at the Online labs: Etsy Success
https://www.etsy.com/community/online-labs
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.