Former_Member
Not applicable

What has been your most challenging expereince?

How are you or have you overcome it?
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
28 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: What has been your most challenging expereince?

Mine is marketing. In the beginning, designing and dyeing the canvas was a big challenge. That part was easy compared marketing and selling. I am educating myself on marketing and selling by watching trends, Seo, photos, etc. It is frustrating at times, but I have learned so much. I've learned to also chill out and not get overly anxious and enjoy my craft/hobby.
0 Likes

Mine was definitely learning how to take good photos. I'm still learning for sure...but a lot of research and practice has helped. Also, just understanding that there is a learning curve has helped a lot too :)
0 Likes
1AEON
Inspiration Seeker

To make the exceptional fantastic days to turn them into a regular weekday...everyday:)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Mine has been the photos for sure....still working on that.

It would also help to have more experience....I have gotten some great advice from other Etsy shop owners after asking for it, so I am grateful for their assistance.

Opening a new shop is so overwhelming.

Thanks to all who are willing to share.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Turning views into sales! ;) ...so I suppose marketing!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Trying to explain to my husband that our photo's just don't cut it, I haven't worked it out yet, I want him to be involved, but I want my products to look good too. I just don't want to upset him.
0 Likes

It's marketing for me too. I have not done any yet... but I am researching my backside off right now. Just need to break through that mental barrier.
But that is a very good idea Kathy K: to just chill out and not get overly anxious. And I guess it's only natural to be a little bit anxious when you are learning something new and struggling with it a bit. But when you get over that hurdle and come down the other side its a great feeling!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Marketing for me also. And confidence! I'm a scaredy-cat :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Ohh I second the confidence! Especially when its dead and there are no sales, its really hard to keep confidence up! I start second guessing everything! I just keep creating, and pushing my work out there and try to stay positive!
0 Likes
1AEON
Inspiration Seeker

angela from AlfieJayne the photos are crucial, so keep fighting for them, perhaps a model helps, however I think you got some good ones...Keep going!
0 Likes

Making time for my family and everday life. I love the creating, and fortunately for me, my shop is doing well. The problem is that I happen to get very focused when I'm solving problems. My job before retiring was in accounting, plus creating and designing is the same as solving problems or puzzles. I tend to get so wrapped up in my Etsy shop and my little creating world that the hours fly by (as often happens when having fun). Than I notice that the day has gone by and realize I hadn't spent much time with everyone else. On top of that the housework didn't get done. My husband is great with his understanding and helping out, but I really need to allocate my time better.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Marketing! I struggle with getting steady sales, and I know that marketing is the key. I'm not very good at marketing myself or my product, but I'm trying to learn.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Janie

you sound like me! I won't even mention how many days of laundry piled up

:/
Lizzie
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Turning views/favorites into sales, or just getting sales here! And reaching my target buyers. So marketing, I guess. Have not overcome the challenge yet.
0 Likes

Pricing has been a struggle with me. I want my toys and games to be making a reasonable profit but I also want them to be affordable. I want to be able to compete with overseas buyers but postage prices from Australia makes that so difficult.
I don't know if it is better to charge less for the postage for international sales and increase the price of the item or not?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Like Janie, balance. Like today. I spend most my day reading teams, FB, Pinterest, some creating....but my house? I totally forgot I was suppose to wash Abby's clothes today. And I did take some time to play with her but not as much as I should. Trying to balance fun internet, business internet, business work, house work, playing with baby, time with the husband, reading (ha!), etc. I really need to make a better schedule for myself.

And confidence too. I did a number of BNS rounds with no sales at all. It was starting to feel personal.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Marketing and breaking through those barriers is really hard to do sometimes but if you have faith in your abilities somehow you will come to believe it and believe is every part of your actions. Have a wonderful week everyone!
0 Likes

My biggest challenge is hearing that a customer was not entirely satisfied for any reason. There have only been a few challenges, but I tend to focus on the few nay-sayers over the abundance of positive feedback and personal emails from very happy customers.

I usually try to remind myself that the vast majority of folks are happy with the experience, reading through my feedback helps. I usually get a really nice personal email within a day or two of a challenging experience so that helps too.

Keeping things in perspective is my biggest challenge I think.
0 Likes

Photos...and finding time to do the cooking & cleaning gig.
0 Likes

For me it 's been marketing for sure. I hate promoting.
0 Likes

Getting sales has been the toughest experience, because I haven't had many. But I've been learning a lot about marketing throughout the experience.
0 Likes

Since I work full time outside of Etsyand have a husband, 2 teens and 2 dogs to look after, balancing everything is my biggest challenge. Second challenge is photography.
0 Likes

Balance! It is so easy to get obsessed with Etsy and forget about everything else, especially when your shop is busy.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I am really bad at writing descriptions. :(
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.