What does "marked as gift" mean?

I hope this is the right place to ask this! Recently I have found that some of my orders say "marked as gift". Does this just mean not to put a priced packing list in or am I supposed to gift wrap them or something? I don't offer gift wrapping as an extra at present but I have occasionally been asked to send a gift straight to a recipient. This seems to be something different though as the package is goig to the buyer. Can someone enlighten me please?
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
5 Replies

Re: What does "marked as gift" mean?

I think it's a new thing Etsy recently rolled out to all shops, it's not an 'opt in' feature that you can choose or avoid. I've gotten a few orders that were 'marked as gift'. I just don't include the printed receipt, and usually reach out to the purchaser to see if they'd like a note included.

There's another place where shop owners can opt in to have a button where the customer can select gift wrapping, that option would be for an additional fee. If you didn't enable that feature you shouldn't have to use gift wrap, but I'm imagining this is even less clear to the customers!
0 Likes

Thanks Joanne. It's quite confusing! So far when I've had an order marked as gift the purchaser and receiver have been the same person so there didn't seem any point asking about a note. So I just don't show the price in the package, just in case.

I didn't enable the gift wrap feature because I haven't had time to look into it yet with a craft fair coming up this weekend, but I might afterwards. I always use a pretty bag or handmade box anyway and no-one's complained (so far!).
0 Likes
StuckOnSilver
Inspiration Seeker

It's a feature that formats a different packing slip (one for the recipient) and includes the buyers note if she or he writes one. It's a nice feature.
0 Likes

I have seen this on another platform, for items sold to a purchaser in a different Country, to avoid paying customs. Hopefully this is not what is intended because this is not really legal.
0 Likes
maydaylabels
Conversation Maker

That is not how it works; it is not marked as gift on customs forms. It does change the packing slip.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.