What do you do if a package is stolen?

I hope someone has advice for me about a package that was marked delivered, but not received by my customer. At the beginning of December, I received an apron order. Even though my processing times were set at 3-4 weeks (due to the number of orders I had in my production queue) I did everything possible to get all orders shipped before the USPS deadline for Christmas Delivery.

The apron was marked delivered on December 23. But yesterday the customer contacted me to see when I was going to be shipping her apron. (The estimated shipping date when she placed the order was Jan. 2.) We've emailed back and forth a couple of times, and I tried to give her all the information that I could-- but I just received this note from her:

"My mailbox locks because people like to steal stuff out of it, so if it doesn't fit in the slot the mail person usually brings it to our gate. I guess there was a substitute that day and they just left it at the box. I was not expecting it until January, so I didn't even know it was gone. I had put it out of my mind since your first note said it would not be sent until Jan. 2nd.

This is my first time to order from Etsy or from any individual at all. I don't really login to Etsy either so, I guess I am just out $45. I don't imagine it will turn up almost a month later. I guess it is what it is. Thanks for the information anyway."

This is the first time this has happened to me!!! I don't know what to do. I did buy insurance on the package, but since it was scanned as "delivered" I doubt that I can even file a claim. What do you do in a situation like this? My stomach is in knots from worrying about this...

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have for me,

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
7 Replies

Re: What do you do if a package is stolen?

Replace the item, or refund. You can write off the loss on your taxes. It is unfortunate, but these sorts of things happen. Thankfully, not very often! Sorry :((
0 Likes
maydaylabels
Conversation Maker

We self-insure for those kinds of things (basically, we figure out how often it happens - maybe one in 500 orders or so), divide our average sale price by that number, and consider that amount part of the overhead for each sale. That way I don't resent it when I have to refund out of pocket for things like that - it's just part of the cost of production. It is actually very cheap on a per-item basis, since it happens so rarely.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Oh man. That's very unfortunate. I'd say to just offer the customer a replacement. I've heard of people claiming that they didn't receive something, when in fact they had. I remember I had someone buy about 20 candles from me and then claim they didn't receive them. The tracking showed that UPS left the package on their doorstep, but the customer said it wasn't there. I ended up issuing them a refund because they said they were party favors and they wouldn't get them in time if I remade them and shipped them again. Long story short, about 3 weeks later, one of the guests at the party emailed me saying she received a candle as a gift from her friend (insert my customer's name) and wanted to know if we could do a custom order for her daughter's baby shower. Go figure. Now, I'm not saying that your customer is scamming you in the same way, but you just never know. I'd offer a replacement or store credit, but no refund. Good luck!
0 Likes

did you buy USPS insurance or u-pic insurance from etsy? u-pic might cover it they do things differently than usps.

I had this happen once it was a low value item, under $10, that weighed very little so I just remade and reshipped to the person's work address.
0 Likes

Thanks for the wise advice, everyone! It has reinforced what my gut was telling me to do... Joanna, I did buy u-pic insurance. I'll try filing a claim and see what happens.

I'm still working with my customer. I really do feel bad that this has happened to her-- I know I would be so disappointed if the apron I'd had made especially for me got stolen! I'm going to make her another one, and we may end up splitting the cost of the loss of the first one. She actually did suggest shipping to her work address this time, so hopefully that will ensure it gets delivered this time.

What a world we live in where someone has to lock up their mail to keep it safe!
0 Likes

This has happened to me a couple of times. The first thing you AND your customer should do is file a 'lost mail' claim with the USPS. You can do it online or by calling the 800#. I imagine this will be required for an insurance claim as well.

You have the tracking info and insurance, so I would also look into filing a claim on the insurance (that's why it's there and you paid for it!). Most of the time when my packages go missing, filing a claim with USPS will magically make them appear- even if they are marked as delivered.

I would make sure you're in communication with your customer about the claim filing, etc. I'd wait at least twice as long as the USPS tells you to hear back from them before considering a refund or replacing the item. I've not yet had to refund or replace a missing package and this has happen many times. Use the tools you paid (tracking and insurance) for before throwing in the towel.
0 Likes

UPDATE: I did file the u-pic claim on Jan. 9-- but I wasn't holding my breath that anything would good would come out of that. The customer filed her portion (the online affidavit) the same day.

I ended up just making her another apron because I felt like it was the right thing to do. I really felt bad that this happened. I shipped it to her work address this time & sent it Priority Mail-- and it was safely delivered. She was thrilled to finally get it, and left very nice feedback too.

Anyway, to my complete surprise-- u-pic sent me a check on Jan. 23! I was expecting to be out the whole amount, but they actually did cover the theft and reimbursed me for the total cost of the apron and what I paid to ship it originally!!!

I am so glad that you all encouraged me to not just give up and throw in the towel! Thank you, thank you!!! :) THIS is why I love the forums... There are so many kind people willing to help.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.