Former_Member
Not applicable

Views way down

We are trying this month with a last ditch effort through a Flash sale to generate some business this month.
I am part of a favathon through another group. Its been good for promoting those items that may not get viewed. Has anyone had luck with this sort of advertising?
We have added a bunch of new items this month, renewed listings, and been promoting in groups. Where have all the sales gone? I dont think that people have stopped buying and sept tends to be a month for home improvement. We sell furniture and home decor items.
Does anyone else feel that the front page change is sending potential customers to shop at other sites?
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
33 Replies

Re: Views way down

Fave-a-thons are not my first choice in advertising my stuff.

I think we can thank Etsy for making this horrible change right before the shopping season begins. My views, which were starting to go up after much tag and title tweaking, have plummeted. I was getting more sales again, too - and not small ones. I'm not selling $2.99 crap reseller jewelry here. Once again, Etsy does our thinking for us and makes a horrible decision.

Right now, I don't know what to tell you. I do know that I've been here for six years, and EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I start to get any sort of forward motion on this site, they do something to change it and I have to start all over again.
0 Likes

I think favs are ok , especially with the changes to the front page
0 Likes

I have been here for 2+ years and I have been open-minded about the changes. However, now it seems like there are too many and frequently not to any better end, but for the sake of change. As soon as I get accustomed to one change, it changes again. I must say there have been some improvements, but change for the sake of it, just doesn't make sense to me.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thanks all. We will take that all. Just wanted to make sure it wasnt us.

Maybe wont do as many favatons as they werent working. Maybe we should work more on great photos, keep getting great products, and work to boost our SEO.
0 Likes

My views have gone down too. I'm starting to feel like Erin. I made many changes to my shop last October and views and sales went up every month with May being my best month. Then in June Etsy did a big test in jewelry which put non relevant items first in search and my views and sales plummeted. After they quit messing with jewelry my views and sales started going back up again though my views have never been the same. Luckily my sales are hanging in there, but I still worry about my low views. I have high hopes for this holiday season, but do have some doubts because of the low views.
0 Likes

Hi all,

I've been on Etsy for a few years and have been able to rely on it as my sole income source. I just wanted to share that September is consistently slow for me, so I've come to count on that trend and just stock up for the holidays before it gets too crazy!

Jordani
0 Likes
NiciLaskin
Conversation Maker

Our views and sales always go down in September and rebound in November. This trend is typical of most shops that aren't selling Fall products and Halloween costumes. College students start receiving their bills, families are hit with costs for school books and clothes, business are always uneasy with 3rd quarter earnings, echoes of October 1929, and midterm elections combined with the lack of holidays in September and October put a drag on sales. General unrest such as ISIS, Ukraine tensions, and protests in China certainly do little bolster consumer sentiments. Having been here for a while now, it seems that Etsy uses the slowdown to tweak the site which gives the illusion that the changes are resulting in slumped sales and views. Just hang on and use the time to prepare for the Christmas rush.
0 Likes

Thanks for the great info Nici!
0 Likes

my views and favorites were way down the past couple of months too.
0 Likes

My views are down a little from 2 weeks ago, but what bothers me more are the number of favorites vs the number of views - people are justing hitting the heart button without looking at the items. When something does sell, I got 2 bad reviews because the customer didn't read the item description and didn't get what they wanted even after I emailed them to be specific due to multiple items in the same listing. After this Christmas season, I think this 1st shop of mine is getting off of Etsy.
Good Luck Everyone.
0 Likes

July, August and September are my three slowest months. All other months this year have been very good. October is starting off great so far. I don't mind the slow months. If gives me time to develop new products and prep for the holidays. Last December was pretty insane for me.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

My views and favorites have been down recently too. :( Hopefully it'll get better soon!
0 Likes

Views are way down for last 3 months
0 Likes

my listings disappear from search, they ranked in first page just hours ago.
0 Likes
DJwoodcrafts
Inspiration Seeker

I agree with Linda. I also think the views to the favorites are so unbalanced due to not viewing them and only favoring them. My views are way down as well just since last month.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I am very new to selling here, I opened my shop in July, still waiting on my first sale. I am completely sucking up all this fanatastic information you guys are dishing out. It's just as helpful to the newbies, so we kind of know what to expect. Thanks!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

my views are down too compared to last year but i don´t care as long as i make more money because that means i get more quality views which will more probably result in sales
0 Likes

My views and sales are down too. I even tried a week long sale through EtsyOnSale. I'm hoping it's the calm before the storm.
0 Likes

sept is always one of my lowest month. I make a 3rd of my income between nov- jan , every year:)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I sell hand knit items, and my views would normally be increasing this month and last but they haven't been. I've also noticed that my items aren't showing up in searches as much as they used to, despite renewing them regularly. And I noticed that there are a few sellers that do show up in the majority of related searches despite us having the same/very similar tags. So I'm wondering if something has changed in the search function along with the new promoted listings changes? I attributed the decrease in views to the seemingly new search results- has anyone else noticed something like this?
0 Likes

My views are WAY down this weekend! It has been slowing down, but this weekend, it almost felt like the bottom fell out. I just checked one of my general items and I did find 5 of my items in the first 5 pages, but it is almost like no one is looking or shopping! I even enrolled in promoted listings and that isn't even helping.
0 Likes
NewBrideCo
Inspiration Seeker

My views and sales has gone down since Etsy started their new promoted searches program, which is not only costly it is also ineffective; I hope they reconsider going back to where it was so that we can all make sales and they also make money of our sales.
their constant changes are driving everyone crazy buyers and sellers; they are driving buyers and sellers to other sites; I imagine they are paying a Webmaster millions to keep playing with this site to see what works but, while they're at it we are all losing money, and the webmaster does not care as he or she is getting paid to make it look like something is happening with the site all the time, I hope Etsy wakes up and do something before we all go start looking for a more promising site.
0 Likes
maydaylabels
Conversation Maker

I don't think everyone is losing money; if that were the case Etsy would be losing money, and they would stop making changes.

Promoted searches did not affect relevancy search, so unless you were using Search Ads and getting the majority of your sales from there and are now using Promoted Listings and are getting no sales, it is not the cause of any decline.
0 Likes
RomaMiaTradingCo
Inspiration Seeker

My views have been down from last year as well. I even gave up even trying for a while there. Its frustrating to playing the tweeking game with tags and hoping that they work just to have consistently low views.

The question of "low views" begs the question: how much self promotion are you doing? For me, when I am more active on FB, Twitter, Instagram, Pintrest, other teams, etc, my views will go up.

I am no longer fully counting on Etsy to bring me in my views. I know its my responsibility to "pimp" it out, and Etsy's search bar is one avenue for bringing in views, but I'm not relying on it as the main source any longer.

I also found this promotion website called StoreWoot. It helps promotion wise to get people to your site. http://StoreWoot.com/invite/3colon7/
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.