Thread, sewing supplies savings

I go through so much thread that I finally looked online for a cheaper place to get it. I found WAWAK, and decided to try them. Their regular prices are discounted from the list price, and that is so for most of their items. I ended up ordering 50 spools as they had a special sale going on at that time. They have been in business a long time and are based in Chicago. They ship for free for orders over $100.00, and have a flat shipping charge of $4.89 for orders under that amount. Large items, such as dress forms and steam irons, will probably be more. I had my thread within 3 days after I placed my online order. I will definitely order from them again.

Also, they had a lot more colors available than what was shown in the catalog. The only problem I had was filling out my order. Because they offer so many colors of thread, there are several pages listing them. When you get to the bottom of a page you must click the order button (or something like that) to save those items marked on that page. Otherwise, when you get to the next page it will have erased the items marked. Other than that, everything went great.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
19 Replies

Re: Thread, sewing supplies savings

I bought about 150 spools of thread from them about a month ago, about a third of the price from the local store. I uses a serger so I go through a lot of thread and love the savings. No issues with the transaction at all.
0 Likes

Great! Do they have a minimum order? I didn't see that on their site.
0 Likes

Thanks for the info! I will be checking them out for sure the next time I need thread.
0 Likes

Very cool! I use only Gutermann thread. It's great stuff but not cheap!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Don't forget that JoAnn's has some SUPPER Black Friday sales- I bought my thread there this past November! Sometimes, if you keep an eye on the sale ads, you can buy from big box stores for less than the manufacturer sells the product for wholesale! (Just something I discovered working reatil... the same applies for food; buy food that is seasonally correct at the time and often you can buy it for less than wholesale!)
0 Likes

Joanne, me too! I try to get it when it's 50% off at Joann's. but most of the time I need some quick and can't wait for a sale.
0 Likes

I buy some fabrics from JoAnn's online. It takes me about an hour to get to one. My only options locally are small fabric/craft stores. We don't have a Walmart, Hancocks, Hobby Lobby or Michaels. My city prides itself on trying to foster local businesses and not allowing stores over a certain square footage. It's great and all, but it's hard to find a bargain. LOL
0 Likes

I try not to buy from big box stores for my business, but I've found it hard to get a decent price for thread without doing so.

Since I'm not ready to buy mass quantities of fabric, I don't purchase it wholesale. Instead, I try my best to only buy it from small businesses on Etsy and local shops in my city.
0 Likes

Mary Pow, I didn't see a minimum order. The price is determined by the quantity ordered. Coats and Clarks 250 yd. spools list @ $2.85 each, their price in the March catalog is 1 or more @ $1.89 each, 3 or more @ $1.69 each. I also noticed that the 3/8" elastic I use for crib sheets seems a lot cheaper through WAWAK that JoAnn's price with a 40% off coupon.

Joanne, they do carry Gutermann thread. They also carry several pages of different kinds of serger and specialty threads.

For those who use zippers, they have a large selection of different types of zippers.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

thanks for the tip :) always looking for great online sites to stock up on various supplies.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Very useful information, thanks for sharing
0 Likes

Thanks! I've never heard of this company. I'll be looking at their site!
0 Likes
ecarlateboutique
Inspiration Seeker

Thank you so much for the info. I will check them out for sure. Thread is so essential and sometimes I am buying it all the time and it adds up:)

0 Likes
StitchKnit
Inspiration Seeker

WAWAK is wonderful. No minimums. Great sales too. Notifications come via email &/or catalog.

I too have difficulty with their online catalog ordering if I'm placing a large order. Easier to just call the order in. Their customer service & ordering dept are great, they just fill out the order for me.

Great company!
0 Likes

You lucky Americans!
Your supplies are already much cheaper than ours to begin with (I'm in Belgium).
Does this company ship worldwide?
0 Likes

Bea, I checked their online store and policies. They cannot take international orders online, but do have an international agent that you can order from. You can either fill out the questionnaire online that will be forwarded to the international agent, or you can leave your own email message for him/her. The email address is international@wawak.com. Their website is WAWAK.com, and click on the shipping note in the upper right hand corner to get to the questionnaire to fill out for international sales. In the meantime, check out their prices to see if they are more reasonable than the ones you are currently paying. The seem to have new sales every month. When I ordered from them in January, I thought it was an online special with 35% off the total price. I know I paid $1.23 for each 250 yard of Coats & Clarks thread and I ordered 50 spools. I will definitely be ordering from them again.
0 Likes

Happened to remember this company that I ordered from many years ago. Their prices are very good too!

http://www.homesew.com
0 Likes
maydaylabels
Conversation Maker

I used to get big spools of gutermann on the cheap from a shop here:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BellaCottons?section_id=10883189&ref=shopsection_leftnav_7
0 Likes

Thank you very much, Janie!
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.