Porzana
Inspiration Seeker

Someone stole my photo!

A kind fellow Etsian sent me a message this morning telling me that they saw one of my product photos being used on Alibaba.com. I checked it out and they were right! It's my exact photo!

I've never had this issue before and I'm not sure what the correct way to go about having the photo removed is. I don't want to say the wrong thing in a message and somehow have it backfire.

Any tips? Thank you!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
24 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Someone stole my photo!

I would contact etsy support right away! Maybe they could give you some advice on what to do.
0 Likes

I think you can contact Ali Baba, too, about it. The info should be at the bottom of the page.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I've heard of this happening to others and they contacted Alibaba and it was removed. I don't know what they said or how long it took, but it was in the main forums if you want to do a search. Sorry I'm not more helpful.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I use picmark.com to put a watermark on my photos. Its free to do it, just make sure you have a copy of the original photo in your file because you won't even be able to change the photo once you put a watermark or your copyright on it. Even if you don't have a copyright on your pictures when you put a watermark on them, no matter who snags your photo, they can't alter the picture and if you put your etsy shop address on the photo they will be directed back to you.
0 Likes
Porzana
Inspiration Seeker

I can see where I can contact the supplier... I don't know what to say though... is there anything wrong with saying,

"I notice that you have stolen my product photo and are using it as your own. Please remove it immediately. If you do not comply, I will be forced to take legal action against you."

Is that too much?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Maybe phrase it a little more lightly in the first email. Then if nothing happens, show your teeth! My sister in-law has represented artists who have had their work copied, just in case you do want to take legal action.
0 Likes
Porzana
Inspiration Seeker

Thank you!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Dear Mandy, How upsetting for you! You could write something like "You may not realise that using of my image without my permission contravenes copyright law. I request you take down the image immediately. I thank you for your assistance in this matter. To ensure you have followed my request, I will check this page in 7 days time (giving the date). Regards, Mandy." This gives the impression that you understand they may used your image in error and clearly states the action you want them to take (whch is your right as the copyright holder). Check their page in 7 days and if it's not taken down, write a sterner email. Hope this is helpful. xN
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Sorry to hear that...but there alot of people that do that and you just have to deal with it and report them. Best of Luck! :)
0 Likes

That's awful- I would contact them. I like what Kate said -lightly and if know action show your teeth. You should from now on copyright your photos.
Good luck!
0 Likes

They stole one of my pics as well, and at least one other fellow Etsy chainmaillers pic. My photo did not have a watermark but the other shop's photo actually did have the watermark on it and the alibaba seller obviously didn't care.

I contacted them and they said they would remove my photo. A few days later I checked and it was still there. I haven't checked again because it was so upsetting for me that I just choose to believe they removed it.

I'm sorry they did this to you. It's a horrible feeling!
0 Likes

This is the page you'll need to take a look at- http://www.alibaba.com/help/safety_security/policies_rules/IPR/002.html
the legal bits and pieces relating to intellectual property and such. There's a link in the page for reporting listings (section 5). I've had a fair few of my photos taken and posted on other sites, so I always look for copyright and intellectual copyright pages on sites now. Hope it gets removed soon!
0 Likes
Porzana
Inspiration Seeker

Thanks for all the advice and support! I sent them nicer message and hopefully they will take it down... There is a "report abuse" page I can go to, but they require a lot of personal information that I do not feel comfortable giving out considering that this is a website that allows people to steal photos :(

The other problem is I'm worried they've stolen more of my photos and I don't even know how to find them...

I'm taking a break from it now. I've been on here the last two hours or more trying to figure out what to do and I actually want to get some work done. Hopefully the message I sent will be enough.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

"The other problem is I'm worried they've stolen more of my photos and I don't even know how to find them... "

That is a valid concern! And one that is probably making all the rest of us, who are reading this thread, think the same thing.

I wonder if they've ever gotten one of mine... So sorry this happened to you, but it must be nice to have vigilant friends who are looking out for you!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

0 Likes

Ali Baba sellers don't care about watermarks or copyright info. I know of a precious metal clay artist here who got their pics stolen AND their description, from Etsy - it included her copyright info at the bottom of the page.

*dies laughing*
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

This is the actual search site:

http://www.tineye.com/
0 Likes

I'm learning something new everyday.
0 Likes
Porzana
Inspiration Seeker

Gary, thank you! That website looks very useful...
0 Likes

"Even if you don't have a copyright on your pictures when you put a watermark on them..."
"You should from now on copyright your photos..."

She has a copyright on her photos the second she takes them; there is no additional action required on her part for her images to be copyrighted.
0 Likes

I agree with andidanie.

The minute you create sth and you put it out there with photos and dates and descriptions, you say to the world: 'I created this, this is mine' And people who see it should understand: ' I cannot copy this. Instead, I will spend time using my imagination and creativity to come up with sth else. Sth unique that will make me stand out.'

It should be simple.

0 Likes

Marking
0 Likes
Porzana
Inspiration Seeker

Looks like they took the whole page down! Guess my nice email had an impact ;) I followed the link provided by the Etsian who spotted it in the first place and the page came up not found! I also tried finding it in search--earlier it was the first item on the page and now it's gone completely! So I am assuming success! :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

:) that is good news Mandy.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.