Former_Member
Not applicable

Shipping labels?

I usually just package my items, write the customers information, and take it to the post office for them to ship. I have bought packages from other Etsy sellers and most of them used shipping labels which I found to look way more professional.

How to shipping labels work exactly? I understand that you have to print them out and whatnot but where do you take the package to be shipped? I live in a gated neighborhood and the mailboxes are outside of the gates so they are not your normal "out side of the house" mailboxes. Would I take the package to the post office?

Also, I was looking at the labels and it asked how much the item weighted. How would I find that out? Could I estimate the weight? I don't really want to purchase a scale, haha!

Thank you! :)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
35 Replies

Re: Shipping labels?

I cannot help you with the shipping labels, but just wanted to remind you that if you 'don't want to buy a scale, haha!', you will not be able to use shipping labels.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thank you.....
0 Likes

If you can't leave your items for a mail carrier you may drop off at a post office or any blue box.

They do have free pick up service. You can have them ring your doorbell and hand your packages to them if needed.

There's no reason to be buying postage and waiting in line at the post office. IMHO it's a huge waste of time.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thank you Joanne!
How do I go about the weight? My packages are usually very lightweight, normally around .90 oz. Do I absolutely have to purchase a scale?
0 Likes
SpangGangDesigns
Inspiration Seeker

You can get an inexpensive scale on Ebay or amazon (probably in the $20 range). Shipping labels are inexpensive too, if you wanted to purchase the adhesive ones. Or some prefer to print and tape. Do a search on the forum for "labels" or "shipping labels" to find lots of threads about it.
The beneift to a scale is that you'll only print and pay for the appropriate amount of postage.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Erica- I see. So if the package weight is incorrect I will just be charged more (or less) but the package will still arrive to its destination?
0 Likes
RomaMiaTradingCo
Inspiration Seeker

Yeah, I highly suggest going for the scale. I got mine super cheap at staples. I also bought my shipping labels there. It has saved me a lot of time waiting at the post office. And I buy my postage right through Etsy. Such a time saver. I pass by a post office on my way to my full time job, so I swing right in and drop off my packages, takes me two seconds.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Same as Nikki plus you don't have to stand in line since it's prepaid using Etsy is also less expensive:)
0 Likes
SpangGangDesigns
Inspiration Seeker

No sense paying for 12 oz, if the package is only 6 oz. Also, I'm not sure the rule on delivering. maybe the PO would refuse and return a package with insufficient psotage or I've heard of them trying to collect it from the customer. Either way, it can simply be avoided by entering correct weight and paying appropriate postage.

USPS offers frre front door pickup, which is scheduled online. However, being in a gated community, I don't know your rules.
0 Likes

Ashley, if your postage is incorrect the postal service may charge your customer or delay your package! I have mailed something twice with insufficient postage (thankfully personal mail) and both times the recipient was charged.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Oh that stinks Megan! I will figure something out! Thank you! :)
0 Likes

I got my scale on Amazon for $20 or less. You don't need a heavy duty scale since your items are lightweight. Smaller scales are cheaper. There's no sense in overpaying for postage just because you don't want to buy a scale. It will pay for itself very quickly.

This is the scale I have: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0053HCYOA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
0 Likes
TinyEpicMoments
Inspiration Seeker

This is great. Thanks, Joanne, for the link! I just started out and have been going to the po and waiting in line to make sure the postage is right, but want to do this after Christmas. Do you use a label printer or just print on paper and tape?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

You don't need a scale. Packages 3oz. and under cost $1.98.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thank you Jean! My charms are very light weight and are usually under 3 oz. :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

With Etsy labels if you use 1st class.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Yes thank you!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

If you haven't purchased a scale then how do you determine what to charge your customers for shipping?

Shipping labels basically mean that you purchase your postage online and affix the label to the package.

Then you either take it to the post office and drop it off, or arrange for a USPS package pickup.

If you are guessing at the package weight and don't put enough postage on the package, it will either arrive at its destination postage due (ie the customer will have to pay the postage AGAIN in order to get their package) or the post office may simply return the package to you and you will be responsible for purchasing the correct postage again.

A postal scale can be purchased for around $20 which really isn't very much of an investment when you consider how much the difference between paying for postage at the counter vs purchasing online is.

I've paid over $6,500 in postage this year using shipping labels and that would very easily be between $7,500 and $8,000 if I wasn't using shipping labels.
0 Likes

I got a postage scale for $5 on eBay. If you don't want to pay $20 or more, check out some of the auction ones. You can get good deals.
0 Likes

A scale is a must. You can also use a kitchen scale found at Target or Walmart for about 10-15 dollars. You should know what your products weigh so that you are charging the correct amount for shipping.
I include handling in my shipping charge to cover my packaging etc. Your shipping policy should state that if you go that way..

I don't buy adhesive labels (I'm too cheap) I print them on paper and use clear packing tape. If you do it this way, you have to be sure not to tape over the UPC code, the post office prefers it to be un-taped so their equipment can scan it.

Then all you have to do is drop them off at the PO...easy!

Etsy makes shipping easy.
0 Likes

To add to those who say to print labels...it's cheaper to print your own labels than buying postage at the post office. US ORDERS of course. You get a discount so I always print ay home.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

A scale is a must. You don't want to over charge a customer or be incorrect. It is well worth the investment. Perhaps you can purchase a slightly used one for less. I love purchasing shipping labels online through Etsy. It is great !
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thank you everyone for your advice! I looked online for cheap scales and I found this one- http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=381088697285
Would this suffice?
0 Likes

Use flat rate and you don't mess with a scale...
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.