Reviews , how do you handle 4 stars?

I recently got my second review (actually the 1st after reopening) and , although the customer says nice things she gives me 4 stars, that show as my average as I have not any other reviews.
Is it bad having 4 stars instead of 5? Could it affect my sales (that are still very low as I filled the shop a few months ago)? An if so, what can I do to change it?
I guess contacting the buyer is not a good idea. When she received it she sent me a convo it all arrived and she liked my sandals, no complain at all.
Any opinions and advice are appreciated!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
16 Replies
StuckOnSilver
Inspiration Seeker

Re: Reviews , how do you handle 4 stars?

I wouldn't worry about a four-star review. It's too good a review to reply to. It will affect your rating until you get lots of five-star reviews. I would NOT contact the buyer. Leave well enough alone. She might consider it badgering her.
0 Likes

Thanks Bev, yes I agree on leaving the client alone - she was very polite and nice and I don't want to bother her.
Well, thumbs up to me to get more sales and nice reviews to light up the 5th star then , lol
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Don't worry love. 4 stars is still a success. Keep your head up and keep going.
xx
0 Likes

Thanks for the nice words Tanya!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I've had two 4 star reviews from the same customer. She was a repeat buyer and I got 4 stars both times! I asked other sellers for thoughts and was told that some people consider 4 stars to be a good solid review and withhold 5 star reviews unless things are beyond spectacular. It can be frustrating (especially with only two reviews) but know that most people will give 5 stars more willingly and after a few more reviews your average will improve.
0 Likes

I remember I was very upset when I first got a 4 star, but like other sellers said, it will be "invisible" when you get more 5 stars. :)
0 Likes

Katie and Fishcouple, thanks for sharing experience and support.
Well, have been asking myself how to get something good out of it at least and decided to make a more impressive packaging to maybe earn the wow-factor on my next review, as the product itself cannpt be really changed.
0 Likes

Four stars out of five Is a good review. I personally do not trust a shop that has nothing but five star reviews. As a seller no body is perfect and there are always going to be customers that just cannot be pleased or that have a slightly different perspective. If you have a few less than perfect reviews - even 1 or 2 bad ones, as long as your overall rating is between 3.5 and 5 stars you're good.
0 Likes

Maria, I've noticed that I tend to get reviews complimenting my fast shipping. Since yours are made to order items, is there anything you can do to get the product in your customers hands faster? You may see more reviews and more 5 star.

Keep your head up, you have a really cute shop. Good luck!
0 Likes

Hi Sharon and One Fairfax Road - thanks for responding and encouraging.
Shipping wise what I do is try to have my workshop well stocked with most my materials and concerning sandals most sizes waiting to be decorated.
Until now I have delivered everything ordered in less than a week so it has worked out quite well and hope will continue. Also have a couple of things ready and waiting to be shipped, although my workshop size does not allow me make large numbers of every item.
Think I should put that some are ready if I have them? I have the Made to order option on in case I have multiple orders on an item.
0 Likes
StuckOnSilver
Inspiration Seeker

It may seal the deal if it can be shipped right away!
0 Likes

Nothing wrong with .4 stars, & some folk never give 5 (consider always room for improvement)
Congratulations! :)
0 Likes

Could you reach out and ask "what would make this a 5 star experience for you?". I've done this when people leave 3 star reviews and they almost always want to change the review up a little once they realize that it's not as nice on the receiving end as they seemed to have thought.

The way Etsy describes the star is akin to:
5 stars, It was Great, I loved it
4 stars, It was Nice, I liked it
3 stars, It was OK (I personally think that a C or a 60% is a bad review, but not all people seem to think that way)

My guess is that your customer thought they were doing a nice thing by leaving that 4 star review.
0 Likes

I received a review where the customer complimented pretty much every aspect of the sale; quality, fast shipping, fit, customer service, and she still gave me 4 stars.

I know it's frustrating to have that be your overall rating, but at least she didn't have any complaints. Other buyers will see that and won't be worried about a 4 star rating.
0 Likes
ClareBearPrints
Inspiration Seeker

I wouldn't worry too much. While 5 stars is nicer than 4 stars, just treat all your customers like they are your best customer and they will be more than happy to give you 5 stars:).

All the best!
0 Likes

A huge relief to see how many of you consider a 4star shop good enough, thanks for all the nice opinions and advice.
Also thanks for letting me get into the mind of customers - such insight is valuable.
Helaina I can't agree more - each customer deserves to be treated in the best way possible, no matter how big or small, that is my work motto too.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.