Remove gift option

Etsy has put 'mark item as a gift' on my listings. I can't find the option to remove the gift option on my items. Can anyone please tell me where this is, either on desktop or the iphone app.
I don't want people thinking this is some sort of extra I offer :(
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
12 Replies

Re: Remove gift option

-Update-
There is a button in desktop under Shop manager - Settings - Options - "Offer gift message" but not sure if turning that off has removed the 'This is a gift' option too. There's no separate button for that.
0 Likes

It really only allows you to remove the GIFT WRAP and the GIFT MESSAGE portion. It does not completely remove the GIFT OPTION. Not sure why this is?
0 Likes
LeedsRadio
Inspiration Seeker

Why do you want to remove it? What problem does it cause?
0 Likes
maydaylabels
Conversation Maker

The "this is a gift" option just changes the packing slip (if you send one); it doesn't imply that you have to do anything special, like the gift message thing did.
0 Likes

I had 2 purchases yesterday that included "Mark as Gift." I believe Etsy intends to signal that you shouldn't include a receipt of any type. However, I think purchasers may think this includes gift wrap. I like to keep all my customers happy and anticipate potential problems, so I added a gift bag in both orders. They were both expensive orders, so I don't mind investing a couple bucks on a gift bag.

I would prefer that Etsy didn't offer the "mark as gift" wording. Something like "exclude receipt" would be more clear.
4 Likes
maydaylabels
Conversation Maker

I've had people think that it means I will change the customs form to gift (for international orders) and that I will include a gift receipt (which I'm totally not set up to do, but do anyway); that part of it is annoying, but oh well.
0 Likes

I do find this option to be added for us, but with no explanation as to what it means for the customer. I wonder if customers think that it means that our return policy does not apply since it is a GIFT, or as noted previously, that it is to be shipped GIFT WRAPPED. I do find it a bit confusing myself. I actually turned it off in my shop since I wasn't sure what it inferred.
0 Likes

In the cart it has the box to check if it's a gift, and below that it says "price will not be included on receipt".
0 Likes

Most of the orders I've had that were marked 'as gift' were international orders. Apparently people have heard that you don't have to pay customs fees if a package is marked as a gift, but I'm not giving the gift, it's merchandise that was purchased from my retail shop. It's illegal for me to mark the package as a gift in an attempt to avoid paying taxes and isn't even possible when printing a shipping label through Etsy.

I'm not sure if there's been challenges on reviews when international customers still have to pay their import taxes, but hopefully Etsy will stand by business owners.
0 Likes
StuckOnSilver
Inspiration Seeker

Even if an international buyer says it is a gift, the price should show up on the label, shouldn't it?
0 Likes

This Gift option is driving me crazy! I used to print the receipt only and I use that for processing my orders. However, since the receipt shows prices, when they mark it as a gift I need to print the second Gift Receipt to go with the item. I can't print just the gift receipt, since it doesn't contain any order details (Priority shipping, customization, etc.) So now every time they mark it as a Gift, I have to print both sheets.
I don't think it would bother me as much if it turned out they were really gifts, but the vast majority of them are people ordering and having the item shipped to themselves! It's as though they don't understand what it's for and think "oh, yes, I'm giving this to my friend once I get it, so it's a Gift; I'll mark it as that when I order." Seriously, at least 90% of the ones marking "Gift" are having it sent to themselves! Etsy needs to make it clearer what they are asking for when they select Gift.
0 Likes

Maybe the people sending the item to themselves still want to give a gift receipt to the recipient so they can return it themselves if they want to.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.