Community Manager
Community Manager

Q&A with Etsy staff: Your new Shop Stats

Jump to solution

Hello and thanks for stopping by!

Last week we launched your new and improved shop stats. We hope you’ve had some time to explore what’s new. We know some of you may have questions and we're here to help.

This week, we’ll be hosting a Q&A with members from the shop stats team at Etsy. What questions do you have for them?

Here are the Q&A details:

- Share any questions you have about your new stats in this thread from now until Wednesday, October 16. We will close the thread that evening at 9pm ET.

-The Etsy team will answer questions by 6pm ET on Friday, October 18.

- It’s possible we won’t be able to answer all questions so be sure to read through what others have asked before posting your own. If your question has already been asked, give it a Like! We want to ensure that we answer the questions that matter most to you, so with that in mind, we will prioritize answering questions with the most Likes.

And a few housekeeping notes:

- This Q&A is to address questions about the new shop stats. Please remember that all comments should remain on topic and in line with our community policies. Any comments that violate our policies will be removed.

- Remember, if you have feedback to share, we encourage you to fill out our seller survey form. We are collecting feedback and suggestions from the community here, and the team is actively reviewing it over the next couple of weeks.

Thanks, all! We look forward to answering your questions!

21 Likes
49 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

Re: Q&A with Etsy staff: Your new Shop Stats

Jump to solution

Hi there! My name is Magdalena and I’m a senior software engineer at Etsy. I am so excited to deliver a Stats experience that is built with newer, smoother tech and will be quicker to update! When I’m not coding, I’m an avid knitter and have developed a serious hand-dyed yarn habit since starting at Etsy.

6 Likes
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

Jump to solution

Hi everyone! My name is Sara and I’m the Product Manager on Shop Stats. I have been working at Etsy for 2 and a half years on multiple teams and I'm really drawn to working on the seller side of the marketplace to help the community grow. I look forward to hearing your feedback and questions on the changes we're making to your stats experience; our goal is to continue providing you with the most important information about your shop performance and help you identify the right next steps to grow your business. Fun fact: I'm a seller on Etsy myself (since 2017) selling Gold chain rings, which are very popular back home in Lebanon!

8 Likes
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

Jump to solution

Hi there, I'm Kathy and I'm currently a product marketing manager at Etsy. I work on sharing with you the most relevant and effective seller tools and resources that will help you continue to grow your business here on Etsy. I've worked with our Product and Engineering teams to enhance your shop Stats experience, so I’m excited to be here today to answer your questions about how to find value in your Stats!

6 Likes
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

Jump to solution

Hi! My name is Eduardo and I'm an Engineering Manager at Etsy. I joined in early 2018 and have been on seller-side teams since then. I'm excited to be part of the team bringing updates to Shop Stats and look forward to continue to improve its features and data.

3 Likes
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

Jump to solution

@LanaLuckyFinds wrote:

I want the feature allowing me to compare my revenues from this year periods and last year periods to be reinstated in the stats. That was how I was comparing my performance for the same period this year relative to last year. Percentage of changes in visits is a  nice feature but I'm here for the revenue. It's my priority number one.

Hi @LanaLuckyFinds - thanks for your feedback! We are working on this feature now and it should be available in the coming weeks. You will be able to compare all metrics (Visits, Orders, Conversion Rate, and Revenue) to the same period on the previous year.

22 Likes
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

Jump to solution

@BenMcfuzzylugs wrote:

Is there a back door link to take us to the old stats so we can check the data that is currently not rolled out to the new stats?
I am all for improvements but please when a feature is not fully rolled out yet can it not be considered the 'beta' rather than the only option? 

Hi @BenMcfuzzylugs! Thanks so much for your feedback on the new Stats experience. For some background, we actually took Stats data and features into a lot of research with sellers like you to bring a more accurate and actionable data to the forefront. As mentioned, we are working on year-over-year comparison data as we speak, however if you’re looking to get that information now, you can use the preset time frames or the Custom date range to see how you’re performing in previous time periods. With that being said, it’s the version that we’re confident in, but it’s also a foundation for us to continue to add richer data and more features. So if there are ones that you really find necessary, we are continuously reviewing member feedback, and use the responses to decide which improvements or new features to build. Feel free to send in any additional concerns through the seller survey form if you haven’t already.

3 Likes
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

Jump to solution

@EuroVintage wrote:

Thanks a lot for this Q&A!
An upgrade (when needed) should eventually add more data and not remove the actual one that shop owners were used to look at.
Here some important data that has been removed:
- Views/visits
- New Listing/Relisting
- Shop-wide Search Terms (main page/at a glance)
- Year-over-year comparison (with custom dates)
- Timezone (actually data is not aligned to the dashboard)
- Favorites (already removed before they but can be useful)
- Customers map also useful and interesting
Many other things seems wrong/missing/not well organized.
Now is really too much simplified (as the dashboard!).
Traffic sources with inline data simply doesn't work, not readable at all.
Earlier stats were quite OK.
In 2017 maybe even better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq6dWzZ1MWY

Unfortunately so many "redesigns" lately they seems to go in the wrong direction and they're not helping us to work better :(

Howdy @EuroVintage! I’d love to share some of the research and analysis that went into the data and features that we prioritized for the new Stats! Based off of this, we really believe that the new data and layout can provide you with more value.

- Views: Visits show you the number of people who visited your shop or listings. Views tell you the total times people are looking at your listings. In order to make that distinction very clear, we’ve removed shop-level views. It’s also important to keep in mind that when you’re trying to understand long term trends and your shop performance at a high level, visits are a better business metric and more indicative of how much traffic you’re driving to your shop. Visits also have a stronger correlation with orders and are used to calculate your conversion rate.
- Favorites: We know based on data analysis that favorites don’t correlate with sales.
- Customer Map: We removed the Customers tab in April 2019, because less than 1% of sellers were using the page.

That being said, we’re still exploring other ways we can surface data in a more relevant way, so we can continue to provide value to our sellers. Please feel free to share with us specific details around how you use favorites and the customer country map data in the seller survey form as it will help us prioritize and build the best features for sellers like you.

Additionally, we are working on year-over-year comparison data as we speak. Along with that, many underlying things have not changed (i.e. you’re seeing the same logic for visits, listing views, and timezones for data as the previous version of Stats).

Overall, we made changes to get you the best product so that you can quickly glean how your shop is doing this holiday season, but everything we did was validated by research and prototype groups that we tested with. Also, as part of the upgrade, we also added in new things that will provide value. We’ve heard from sellers that new traffic breakdowns and year-over-year comparison help give guidance around which channels you have a hand in directly driving. And conversion rate, which we know many sellers are excited by!

I really appreciate you taking the time to share in this Q&A. We value your feedback and would like to hear more details about the areas you feel seem wrong, are missing, or are not well organized. Please send those details to us using the seller survey form and we’ll take a look!

6 Likes
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

Jump to solution

@TimeInFantasy wrote:

Google organic search terms are just as important as Etsy search terms. Can we have a separated category of Google organic search terms too? Right now it is grouped under “Etsy Marketing and SEO”.

Thanks @TimeInFantasy . This is a great question! For anyone else interested in this question as well, I just wanted to share a bit of background into the “Etsy Marketing and SOE” category. Currently, it’s an aggregate of all your visits from Google, Yahoo, Bing, and other search engines. This is mostly driven by Etsy investing in marketing and SEO optimization (such as through our market pages) to make sure that shoppers looking for items across different search engines are finding your listings. However, as you called out, this category could also include if a buyer searches for your shop directly in Google search. We’re currently working on better defining the breakdowns for traffic sources, so that we can show you the data you’re looking for more accurately. Ideally, you will be able to see the traffic you are getting from the different search engines, and whether it’s from Etsy SEO or organic searches, as you’ve requested. So it’s definitely on our radar, but please leave this request in the seller survey form as well, so we can make sure to prioritize the most relevant and impactful features.

1 Like
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

Jump to solution

@AnchorRoadHome wrote:

Are there plans to break down the stats so that we can see exactly where within Etsy views come from? A lot of the categories are mashed up together. I don't give a hoot what views I get from teams, but I would like to see more specific data on other areas within Etsy instead of just "Data not Available" or "Other traffic" or "Other Etsy pages". What traffic? What pages? It's all very vague. 

Hey there, @AnchorRoadHome! Thanks for your question. As Kathy mentioned above (https://community.etsy.com/t5/Etsy-Success/Q-amp-A-with-Etsy-staff-Your-new-Shop-Stats/m-p/128169915...) we are working on redefining the traffic source breakdown and the level of details in each one. Our focus will be on showing useful/actionable data that you can use to make decisions to grow your business. If you haven’t already, I’d encourage you to use the seller survey form to send us more details about your concerns.

3 Likes
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

Jump to solution

@nemeton wrote:

Why are the dots joined up when the values being displayed (orders, visits, revenue, etc.) are discrete? It is meaningless and completely incorrect to draw lines between the dots - please can we have the nice clear bar charts back instead?

Hi @nemeton! Thanks for joining our Q&A. I really appreciate you taking the time to ask this question. We present this data in the form of a graph so that you can more quickly see a trend of how your performance is changing across a selected time period. We validated the new designs through research with sellers like you and gathered feedback through a prototype group, so we’re confident on the usefulness of this, but I really appreciate hearing your feedback.

Thanks again!

0 Likes
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

Jump to solution

@CappuccinoLace wrote:

Why did you remove favourites as a sortable category under listings?

Hi @CappuccinoLace , thanks for your question. We have heard from the community that this is an important metric. That said, we know based on data analysis that favorites do not necessarily correlate with sales and are not indicative of overall shop performance.

We are currently exploring other ways we can surface this data in a more relevant and actionable way. If you haven’t already, we’d love for you to fill out our seller survey form and tell us more about how you use favorites information to make decisions for your shop. 

Thank you!

0 Likes
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

Betreff: Q&A with Etsy staff: Your new Shop Stats

Jump to solution

@FrankiesStyle wrote:

Hello, Fido,
I have been using my favorite items for pricing so far to see which items are the focus of my visitors. I miss that personally very much. I also find an overview of visits with a maximum of 5 items very time-consuming.
For me personally I see no improvement but a limitation of my statistics.
dear greetings, Frank

Hello @FrankiesStyle! Thanks for your feedback. Hearing how sellers are using data is very useful for us. We’ve heard from others that stats around favorites is important and are currently looking into how we might implement this into the new stats.

If you have not done so already, we’d love to hear more about your use case in our use the seller survey form. Our team is actively reviewing this as we plan for future enhancements. 

Thanks!

0 Likes
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

Jump to solution

@BonesThreadsNHarmony wrote:

I find this latest version of stats gives less information. Occasionally I would get views on items that I've sold; if I'm getting a lot of traffic on a sold item it signals to me that it's popular and I will make it again to put it back on sale. Now I see I get a view(s) but I don't know where because it's not part of an active item.

Every new version of stats is worse than the last one. 

Hi @BonesThreadsNHarmony! We are working on adding similar filtering functionality to allow you to see stats for all listings. This feature will be available in the coming weeks. Thanks for your comment!

2 Likes
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

Jump to solution

@PashaSupplies wrote:

As an international seller it is important to see from which countries my views are.

We used to have this feature but it was removed without explanation.

Hi @PashaSupplies, thanks for your question. We removed the Customers tab in April 2019, because less than 1% of sellers were using the page. So when we launched this new experience, we included the most actionable and impactful information front and center. However, we would love to understand more about why this feature is important and how you use the information. If you haven’t don’t so already, please leave this feedback in the seller survey form, so that we can make sure that we prioritize the most requested and impactful features.

1 Like
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

Jump to solution

@CheekySeats wrote:

They aren't going to change it.  I came to this forum to see if there was a way to roll back to old stats page.  This new stats page is awful

Hi @CheekySeats! Thanks so much for your feedback here. There isn’t a way to roll back to the previous version of Stats, but I’d encourage you to submit any concerns or additional feedback in the seller survey. We’d love to hear from you!

2 Likes
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

Jump to solution

@memoriesemporium wrote:

In Shop Manager > Listings, Etsy tells me that I have sold a particular bookmark listing 63 times since 2012...
In the new whizzbang "All time detailed stats", Etsy tells me that I have sold this same listing 6 times since 2012.... Huh?

Another example:
In Shop Manager > Listings, Etsy tells me that I have sold a particular file listing 62 times since 2012...
In the new whizzbang "All time detailed stats", Etsy tells me that I have sold this same listing 14 times since 2012... Huh?
Another example:
In Shop Manager > Listings, Etsy tells me that I have sold a particular file listing 81 times since 2012...
In the new whizzbang "All time detailed stats", Etsy tells me that I have sold this same listing 15 times since 2012...
Huh ? Wah ?....
Um - slight discrepancy.
Which stats to believe ?....
I know which stats I'll be believing.....

Hey there @memoriesemporium ! 

We appreciate you taking the time to share a bit of your experience with the new stats. What you’ve described does sounds surprising. Thanks for flagging!

Please contact us via support so we can grab more details from you. We’re happy to take a closer look!

4 Likes
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

Jump to solution

@DaysofYoreTreasures wrote:

1. How shoppers found you - YoY comparison, green vs black circles.
The green circle always has an up arrow. But the black circle sometimes has an up arrow & sometimes a down arrow. Consistent colors for up or down would be more helpful. 

2. YoY comparisons for Today & Yesterday are always 100% up. The data for the same time last year is not being found.

3. Please restore the ability to view stats for All channels combined, not just Etsy & Pattern individually.

Thank you!

Hi @DaysofYoreTreasures! To answer the first part of your question, the black circles appear when a positive or negative change is less than 10%. Green or red circles appear when it is greater than 10% or when we are showing a value change — say, from 0 to 15 visits. Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback! We’re continually looking at feedback and working to make improvements and add features.

1 Like
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

Jump to solution

@strangewaysvintage wrote:

I appreciate that the Etsy staff works hard to improve the site experience for sellers, but I’m wondering why this redesign was prioritized over changes/ upgrades the seller community has asked for (sometimes for years)? Specifically, what about the old stats page was inaccurate, inadequate, or superfluous that necessitated this design change ? And why was a feature fundamental to how sellers track their business overhauled at the beginning of the holiday season, making it difficult to adapt to and understand YOY data? 

Hi there! Thanks for participating in our Q&A!

Here at Etsy we have many different product teams working on improving both the buyer and seller experience, like a search team, a convos team, and a stats team. Every team is working hard to improve the customer experience for their own product area in order to continue growing the marketplace for our buyers and sellers.

The Stats team is focused on showing sellers the data that is most critical and impactful to their success, such as conversion rate, and how their performance is changing over time. Our hope is that the new design makes it easier to understand how your business is performing and give you the power to quickly and comprehensively understand what you can do to continue to grow.

In terms of timing, our goal was to launch before November to arm sellers ahead of the big holiday season.

Specific to YoY data, you can still see relevant comparisons under visits, conversion rate, orders, and revenue. There you’ll see how those metrics have changed (%) compared to the same time period last year.

I hope this information is helpful. Thanks!

2 Likes
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

Jump to solution

@bluetina wrote:

I have a question about "views" and "visits". In the previous version of stats, views were shown on the graph as future events, waiting to be turned into visits or disposed of if they were bots. I know it's sad, but this gave me something to look forward to. 

At present, I have 1 visit and 3 views, as per the box on the Dashboard. If I go to detailed stats, only the 1 visit is shown on the graph. The listings show only one view to one listing. Am I to take it that all 3 views are to do with the 1 visit and 2 of those were just views to my shop or are the other 2 views still waiting after the catch up point? How can I tell?

Hi there, @bluetina! That’s a great question, there have been a few questions about the difference between “views” and “visits”. Visits show you the number of people who looked at your shop or listings. Views tell you the total times people are looking at your listings. For example, if one shopper landed on your listing through search and then viewed five other listings, this would count as one visit and six listing views. 

It’s important to keep in mind that data for “today” is preliminary. If you’re looking at data for “today”, both the visits and views number will change throughout the day.

So just as you said, those other two views may be waiting to become visits, or they may be three views from the single visit that is currently being shown. We always recommend focusing on visits as a stronger measurement of traffic to your shop! 

1 Like
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

Jump to solution
@AbhikaJewels  wrote:

I can't find "views" anywhere anymore. It is only "visits". Or am I missing something?

Hi there @AbhikaJewels!  We’ve removed views because visits are a better business metric, especially when using Stats to understand seasonality and long-term trends.  They have a stronger correlation with orders and are used to calculate your conversion rate.

0 Likes
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

Jump to solution

@RustyCrustyRepurpose wrote:

I don't see total impressions for the day any longer.  I liked that feature because it told me that my items were showing up in searches.

Hi there @RustyCrustyRepurpose !  Thanks for this question. Your total search impressions are available in the Search Analytics tool, which can be found under the Marketing tab.

0 Likes
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

Jump to solution

@ModernSwitch wrote:

When I try to set up a custom date range for anything 2017 and prior the gray apply button is grayed out. I can select "All Time" and it shows data from 2012 onward. I'm just curious why we don't have access to our old data? It's helpful for me to go back to specific time periods to see how seasonal keywords worked out year over year. 

It feels clunky and disorganized and I feel like I have to click a lot of extra pages just to see specific data. I really liked having all my data on one page.

What I'd really like to see is maybe a customized widget system similar to Google Analytics Dashboard where I can drag and drop to really customize my stats page to see the stats I want to see? (Could be a great future for Etsy Plus??)

Thank you for your feedback and questions. In the past couple years, we’ve been adding more specific and granular data, so this means that older data periods are less comparable to more recent stats.  We want to keep showing you all that data from 2012, but unfortunately that means the selectable period for granular detail will keep growing from 2017 onward!

Also, thanks for sharing your ideas around customization and explaining how it could enhance your stats experience. In order for us to track all the great ideas and feature requests that are coming in and make sure that we prioritize the ones that are going to bring the most value to the seller community, I encourage you to add this to the seller survey form if you haven’t done so already.

0 Likes
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

Jump to solution

@romaarellano wrote:

I can only see Etsy or Pattern, not the two combined. So I have to manually add them up. That doesn't work.

The "Comparison to Last Year" is incredibly inferior to how it work in the old stats. I could look at an entire month, day by day, and see not only how it compared to last year day by day but also the number of listings I did last year as compared to this year, day by day, and the number of renewals. This view helped me set goals and break my goals down to tasks. The new "Comparison to Last Year" is simplistic and a huge takeaway of rich data that help shops continue to grow year over year.

Hi @romaarellano! Thank you for this feedback - we’re always thinking about more ways to improve the data we show. We are currently working on bringing you a more detailed comparison to last year as well as richer graph data.

0 Likes
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

Jump to solution

@ThermalStoneDesign wrote:

Year on year, month on month, this month/last month data needs to be EXACTLY as it was before, easy to access and there with a click in a box, and viewable in a comparison bar graph...AS BEFORE.

How can you remove something so vital is beyond me.

Thanks for this feedback, @ThermalStoneDesign!  We are currently working on bringing you the option to see a comparison graph.

4 Likes
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

Jump to solution

@5678Vintage wrote:

Bring back the data in stats on new listings/ refreshed listings! It’s essential to making sense of sales!

Eg my sales were massively down in Feb this year, but that’s because my shop was on holiday for part of the month (which also used to show up In stats!) and I only did 40 new listings vs my usual 100+ per month. Next Feb it’ll obviously look like I’m doing brilliantly vs LY and it will be misleading as it’s not a like for like figure.

As a vintage seller my main sales uplifts are after I have done a large buy and added lots of fresh listings to the store so I need to be able to track this! 

Thanks for your response in this Q&A! Currently, you can see data for all your active listings. This includes your new and renewed listings. Also, we are currently working on adding more listing statuses to the listing performance table so you can see your sold out and expired listings’ performance for a given time range. If you are not able to see data for your new and renewed listings, please share with us your feedback in this survey form

1 Like
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

Jump to solution

@DesDesVintage wrote:

Thx for opportunity to ask:

1) what was the reason for this change? Given we are your clients, it is only fair & logical to explain why this overhaul happened ? And without any advance warning? Is this because sellers demanded it? Is there any internal info that Etsy has that shows this change will be better for all involved? 

2) could you please explain in detail how this stats is better easier and more productive than the previous one? Could you Pls demonstrate how this will lead to more sales for all - vintage, hand made, supply? Perhaps develop videos to show that compared to the old version. What are we getting more out of this set of stats that we could not get from the previous one? That is improvement....

3) is Etsy planning to offer the previous more detailed stats as part of a paid upgrade subscription? Some transparency would be appreciated and would respectful to the thousands of sellers who are the backbone of Etsy’s business model and work hard to run their businesses and make Etsy a successful platform 

4) how is this version of stats related to the beta stats on the dashboard? 

5) as many others have pointed out - the previous stats was much more useful, user friendly, easy to understand etc. Just as  the PL move to AD, it seems these changes are not actually well recieved and not delivering for the most part. Hopefully Etsy will listen to its users and make the relevant changes and communicate it. Hopefully this Q&A is not just a pseudo ‘listening’ session but a real stakeholder engagement- when sellers thrive, Etsy and shareholders thrive - don’t underestimate the power of today’s social media and reputation damage if Etsy is only looking for quarterly results - it is the long term value that matters. Etsy has a first movers’ advantage but if it keeps making unnecessary and unproductive changes making sellers unhappy, someone will build a competitive platform. 

MPs apologies for any typos 

Hi, @DesDesVintage!  This Stats release lays the technical groundwork to be able to add richer data and more features, including some features that the seller community has been requesting for some time.  This foundation will allow us to continue improving stats to make them easier to understand at a glance and take action on. We now highlight the information that is the best indicator of shop performance, such as visits and conversion rate.  At this time, we have no plans to add more detailed stats for as a paid upgrade.

4 Likes
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

Jump to solution

@CatsBeadKitsandMore wrote:

Was this "improvement" really needed? Seems to me that some features were removed, whatever happened to 'last year' on the drop down menu or YOY?

Hi @CatsBeadKitsandMore! Our goal is for sellers like you to use Stats to both understand the key drivers of their business and identify the biggest growth opportunities for their shop. After doing a great deal of research with our sellers, we were confident that this was a good first step. We will continue to provide you with more valuable data and insights about your shop through Stats. We are currently working on adding the YOY graph back to your Stats.

Thank you for your question!

1 Like
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

Jump to solution

@DesDesVintage wrote:

What would be a helpful stat that is missing is data on how sold items were found- now I can not see how a customer found me and bought the item. This is very relevant - wld give insight on  whether effort to promote on social media led to sales tc. As vintage seller, I need to know how and where people found my items and bought them. 

In terms of location of buyers, could we have that back - this would help with where to offer free shipping for instance or to analyze sales per location .... especially for vintage which is much more geographically determined 

thx 

Hi, @DesDesVintage!  Thank you for this insightful feedback.  You can expect to see stats for sold out listings in the next few weeks!

3 Likes
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

Jump to solution

@RustyCrustyRepurpose wrote:

Etsy should survey buyers and see if all the changes (not necessarily this one) are affecting their buying habits.  For example are they experiencing  a lot of bugs that are making it difficult to buy and therefore moving on to other platforms--which might explain the huge drop in sales for sellers.  I would love to see their opinions and it would be such an easy survey to do.  Please!

Hi there, @RustyCrustyRepurpose! Thanks for sharing your thoughts here. Our community’s feedback is so important to us, and we maintain a number of tools for tracking it. Our research team is frequently connecting with both buyers and sellers through in-person and online research sessions and surveys. I’ll make sure to share your feedback with our researchers to help establish more insight-sharing with the community. Thanks again!

0 Likes
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

Jump to solution

@CeciLeibovitz wrote:

I appreciate the opportunity to post my questions here. Thank you. I've noticed a discrepancy between number of visits/views shown on the main stats page as compared to the detailed stats. Detailed stats shows far less visits and views. I am also seeing that the stats are far less than what is shown this past week in my Mailchimp report after having sent a newsletter with direct links to my Pattern site. Is Pattern no longer showing on the stats page? 

Hi, @CeciLeibovitz!  Your Pattern stats can be found by selecting Pattern under the first dropdown on the left.  The main stats page will show more visits than the detailed stats pages because it shows total visits to your shop, no matter where they came from or what listings were viewed.  When you drill down into each traffic source, you can expect to see only the visits that came from that traffic source, and when you drill down into listing details, you will see only visits that included that listing.

0 Likes
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

Jump to solution

@cindylouwho2 wrote:

Thank you for the opportunity to comment & have questions answered publicly! I really missed this feature with some other recent changes. 

1) why do we now only have less than 2 years of data? (back to Nov. 2017 only) That's not enough for established shops that need to watch downward trends on long time best sellers.

2) I know you say the YOY data is coming back, but why even roll this out until something so basic is available? Is there something else that needs to happen first before you can give us that capability back? 

3) Are we also getting the within-Etsy breakdown back? For example, we used to be able to see how many visits came from categories, the home, page, Editors Picks etc. I used this information to make decisions on changing tags, titles, attributes, photos etc., based on whether a listing did better with some features than others. Even just breaking out the app info separately would be a huge improvement. I can see most of this in Google Analytics, but not the app, and not certain pages you haven't added reference values to.  

Thanks again! 

Thanks for your questions, @cindylouwho2!

1) Because we are constantly adding more data granularity, older data periods are less comparable to current stats. The selectable period for granular detail will keep growing from 2017 onward! 

2) As we’re gearing towards the holiday season, our team is always looking at ways we can provide our sellers with value quickly, while working on making continuous improvements to your stats experience, while still allowing you to answer the most pressing questions in Stats. Having said that, we are working on adding the YOY comparison chart in the coming weeks. We’ll keep everyone posted! 

3) We are working on providing sellers with more granular data about each traffic source that is insightful and actionable, which will include seeing more information about Etsy visits (e.g. category pages, home page). We are also working on a better definition of traffic sources which will include classifying app visits into their respective traffic sources. Stay tuned!  

1 Like
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

Jump to solution

@UppNorthCo wrote:

please put back all the info from Last Year.  month by month specific info.  please put back the total dollar amount over $9,999.00.  once the total is over $10,000.00 it only gives.  10.1, 14.5, etc.  we don't even have correct totals.  it rounds up and down.  how are we supposed to know totals without adding manually?  how is that better or an improvement?  pretty basic I think.  

Thank you for your feedback @UppNorthCo! We’ve since updated this and you can now see your shop data for "Last Year" and your full revenue number.

2 Likes
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

Jump to solution

@CuriosAnCollectibles wrote:

What is the purpose of the conversion rate, for me it's superfluous - yesterday was 2.1% today is 13% such a vast difference. 

What useable data is this giving me? I'd rather know which countries my views are coming from and what keywords prompted the sales. 

Hi @CuriosAnCollectibles!

Conversion rate is the percentage of visitors that made a purchase—this info is key to understanding your shop’s performance. In order to make the best use of this metric, your conversion rate is best measured over longer periods of time, and can be informed by a variety of factors, including your product photography, pricing, and other factors like the number of customer reviews on your shop and the average review rating. 

Thank you for participating in our Q&A!

1 Like
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

Jump to solution

@EDCCollective wrote:

When an item you only have one of sells, we can't see data in the stats on it from what I can tell anymore. I used to have to click to include listings that were not active. I was ok with that but I am not ok with not being able to see stats on sold items that do not renew because they were one of a kind. I hope you will bring this ability back.

Hi @EDCCollective! We are aware of this and are working on making additional enhancements that will allow you to see more than just your active listings in the Stats page. You should be seeing this in your shop stats in the next couple weeks. Thanks for participating in this Q&A!

2 Likes
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

Jump to solution

@BloomingOak wrote:

In the last stats iteration, you removed the breakdown of within Etsy visits (teams, cart, another person's listing, etc.). It is now back with this latest revision. Why was this removed? This was valuable data. In particular, for me, seeing views that came from someone's cart was particularly valuable. This could either prep me for a sale or indicate an abandoned cart which is also good information to research why. When will this be coming back?

Hi @BloomingOak! Similar to other questions around providing a more granular breakdown of traffic sources, this is definitely something that we want to provide in Stats. However, we only want to do this once the data is accurate and validated, so we can provide you with the best product. So, this is something that we’re currently working on. If you haven’t done so already, please leave this specific request in the seller survey form, so we can make sure to prioritize the most relevant and impactful features.

1 Like
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

Jump to solution

@BlingAndBijou wrote:

It would be nice if the handbook article about Stats matched the new stats so we have an accurate picture of what everything is. For whatever reason, the documentation was not updated thoroughly enough to match the changes. I sent a note to "support", but got a lot of babble with no point as a response - with links to the very article that is out of date.

Hello! Thanks for flagging. Here’s our most up to date information on stats within the seller handbook. Let us know if there’s anything you’d like us to take a closer look at.

0 Likes
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

Jump to solution

@lulubugjewelry wrote:

Are you removing useful features so they can be sold back to us within Etsy premium? Honestly, that's the only reason I can think of for some of the baffling "improvements" lately. If so, when will it be rolled out? It just keeps getting more difficult and time consuming to run a full time business here.

Hi @lulubugjewelryStats is built to give you the most actionable data up front, so that you can make the right decisions to grow your business. At this time, we have no plans to have a paid version as we know how important understanding your shop’s performance is to help you grow, and we’re creating these products to help you succeed, because it’s ultimately what’s important and good for us as well. The features for this release are rooted and validated in research and it’s a foundation for us to continue to add richer data and more features, including some features that the seller community has been requesting for some time. If there are ones that you really find necessary, please do provide that feedback and help us understand what you use that information for in seller survey form, so we can continue to build the best products for sellers like you!

1 Like
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

Jump to solution

@CicadaArtJewelry wrote:

How is removing features an "upgrade?" Wouldn't the term for that be "downgrade?"

And I don't understand how it's logging views. For example, so far today I have 9 visits, 15 total views, and 0  views on any item. What did those nine visitors click on multiple times without ever clicking on an item in my shop?

But I do like the new transparency about how the vast majority of our traffic is driven by us and not Etsy.

Hello there @CicadaArtJewelry!

Here’s what you’re seeing in views:

The numbers you are seeing per listing are visit numbers (how many unique visits onto that listing), even though it says "views" in the table and they update when views are aggregated into visits.The total views total on the dashboard also include shop views,not just listing views. 

Keep in mind that there is a delay due to the data refreshing

We hope that helps, and appreciate your feedback on this. It’ll help us explore ways to make this more useful for sellers in the future. 

1 Like
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

Jump to solution

@JoeBcrafts wrote:

Wishlist for the Stats Landing (main) page:

1. Personalization: Give the user choices for display and have those saved as part of loading the page based on each user's login.

• I PRIMARILY USE DESKTOP for working in my shop.  I want a DESKTOP OPTIMIZED experience with things tightly aligned and grouped to view on a single page with no scrolling (or limited to 1 page down).  Utilize hover, ? buttons, etc. Others might want something else optimized for a small tablet or a big phone... so see Item #1

2. Graph:

• Ability to have multiple lines/bars/dots/etc shown on a single graph.  It used to, I'd like to have it back along with  choices like item views, shop views, etc.  Also, see Item #1.
  • Number of points - Can the Year stats please be more than 1 data point for the entire month?  Twice a month?  4 points per month?  Having just a single dot doesn't allow for seeing how holidays, sales, school starting, school ending, vacations, world events, etc play a role in traffic/sales. Also, see Item #1.
  • Daily stats - Can the graph range be static?  Instead of the "last data point" of 9 AM being the end of the graph have it be 11:59 PM no matter what so one can see that stats have or have not been updated without needing to look first at the "endpoint time" of the graph and then mentally adjusting expectations /interpretations. Also, see Item #1.
  • YOY toggle back too.

3. Search terms back on the "first page".  I want to see what was searched without having to click on each and every item or going to each of the separate traffic details.  Also, see Item #1.

• Could be a single chart with Etsy Search, Etsy App, Etsy Other, Google, Advertising as the columns.

4.  Listings

• Show more than just 5.  Again less large white space make picture smaller.  Also, see Item #1.
  • Expand the views column to have the various sources like suggested for #3.  Also, see Item #1.
  • Bring back the ability to see stats for sold out, expired, deactivated.  If I want to see the year, I want to see data for things that might no longer be active.  Also, see Item #1.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All of the above uses the existing data, but in a format that gives me as much as I can handle and process at once.  Someone else might want less or maybe even more.... REFER TO ITEM #1.  I know that ITEM #1 can be done on websites as it is not a new idea.

Item #2 also applies to the graphs on other pages like Traffic Details and Listing Stats.

Item #1 also applies to everything in Shop Manager.  Give the sellers the ability to customize their shop management experience.  Give us modules to choose to use.  Yes, retain a simplified version for new sellers, but give experienced or those that want more complicated a choice.

Thanks for the opportunity to voice my ideas.  Maybe something in there might be useful.  Maybe it will spark an even better idea.

There are a lot of good suggestions, questions, concerns, and ideas throughout this thread.  Don't let the good ideas of the sellers (your customers) be wasted or completely ignored.

Help us help you.  Help us Help YOU.  Help US help YOU!

Hi @JoeBcrafts,

Thank you for your feedback and for sharing your wishlist. We take our sellers’ feedback very seriously and our design team is constantly looking at ways we can improve the user experience of Stats. Regarding your feedback on personalization, graph, and search terms, we’ve noted that feedback and will try to incorporate it into our future changes. On listing stats, we are working on adding stats for sold out, expired, and deactivated listings over the next couple of weeks. We have also just added Last year and you should be able to see it as an option in the date picker. 

Thanks again!

0 Likes
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

Jump to solution

@GwenMeyerson wrote:

Using a jagged line graph for revenue in a brief one week period does not read as nicely as the blue discrete bars per day.  Sure, for a long time frame  (ex. this year) I can look at a trend line. 

What am I gleaning from a choppy zig zag line in a short, one week period?  The blue bars per day read clearer for periods of a week or month. Please bring them back.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this, @GwenMeyerson! We present this data in a graph so that it’s consistent across all time periods and metrics, giving you the same view and trend lines across any selected time period. We brought these new designs into research with sellers like you, so have heard that it’s relevant for sellers. But I really do appreciate hearing your feedback!

0 Likes
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

Jump to solution

@GlassSlippersCC wrote:

I think the 4-5-6 hour updates are WAY TOO LONG 

Thank you for your feedback, @GlassSlippersCC. We understand that having timely data is important and we are actively working to improve our ability to quickly process large amounts of data for every shop and listing in Etsy’s marketplace.

1 Like
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

Jump to solution

@TellerHill wrote:

I believe change on Etsy is often like going shopping in a new grocery store- it takes a while to really feel comfortable and know your way around. 

That being said there are many good points made in the comments above. I don’t need to repeat them so I will add my one little wish...

I like to go to my shop from the Seller app ‘view my shop’ link. This helps me understand the customer’s experience with my listings. The problem occurs when I go back and look at my stats - the views and visits jump dramatically meaning Etsy is counting my own views of my shop. 

I hope that this can be corrected!

thank you!

Hey there @TellerHill! Thanks for this question. I’m happy to clarify.

As long as you are signed into your own account, your stats will not track your visits to your shop or listings in your stats. If you are seeing visits following your own actions, it may just be that previous data is updating around that same time.

I hope that helps clarify! 

0 Likes
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

Jump to solution

@KayciAccessory wrote:

Hello! Where can I review the search term people used to view my items. I cannot find it at new Stat. Thank you!

Hi @KayciAccessory ! Great question!

To see the search terms buyers used to find your shop, you can click on “Etsy search” in the “How shoppers found you” section.

1 Like
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

Jump to solution

@EverAfterMiniatures wrote:

Why whenever we use a custom time range, the "% increase / decrease from the same time period" doesn't show up?

For instance, if I select "This month: Oct 1 - 16" , I can see the arrows of % increase / decrease, but if I select the same date range using the "Custom" function, the % increase / decrease from the same time period disappeared.

Hi @EverAfterMiniatures, thanks for calling this out! We knew that being able to see your stats for a custom date range was important to sellers, so we wanted to make sure that this feature was live for you at launch. However, when it comes to validating the data to compare custom ranges over time it’s a bit more complex to build and test. Since we want to ensure that you’re getting completely accurate data instead of holding up the release of a custom range, we decided to share that with everyone first. We hope to be able to give you the ability to see your year-over-year comparison for custom ranges as well.

0 Likes
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

Jump to solution

@DaysofYoreTreasures wrote:

Stats for Last 7 Days & Last 30 Days.
At midnight UTC, the oldest day drops off the 7 & 30 days stats tables and a new day is added for tomorrow, with no data available yet. The new day finally starts to update a few hours after midnight Etsy NY time and is then updated from time to time for the next 24 hours.
This means that the YoY comparisons for Last 7 Days & Last 30 Days are not as accurate as they could be because the data from the same time last year is complete but the current data is not.

Would it be possible to make the drop-off / new day 24 hours later than current, to make for a more accurate comparison? We would still have Today & Yesterday available to look at current data.

Thanks @DaysofYoreTreasures, that’s a really great call out! Being able to clearly understand your data and year-over-year comparisons for the Last 7 Days, Last 30 Days, as well as for Today are important, so this is something that I can take back to the team and do a bit more digging into. We can think through different options around how to address timing discrepancies and explain this more clearly to sellers. Thanks again for sharing this feedback!

2 Likes
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

Jump to solution

@OeiCeramics wrote:

For people with difficult vision, the news graphs are not easy to read; it is more time consuming. 

May I ask what the reason is that the blocks changed into dots with thin lines? I really hope the blocks come back in the graph which is much easier for my eyes to read.

Hey there @OeiCeramics ! Thanks for flagging. We’ve heard this from other sellers as well and are currently exploring ways to make these graphs easier to view. 

Thanks again!

2 Likes
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

Jump to solution

@WdwrkrGifts wrote:

I would like to see the visits and favorites on the listings page again. If that's not an option to be able to all of my items on one page instead of going through all the pages would be nice.

Hi there @WdwrkrGifts! Thank you for participating in our Q&A! 

The numbers you are seeing for each listing show how many times a visitor viewed that listing, this is similar to what you were seeing before on your listing page. It’s a better business metric for listings, because it gives a more clear read on how many visitors are engaging with each of your listings, and is especially relevant when using stats to plan out seasonality or trends with your shop.

Regarding favorites, we understand this is an important metric for many sellers. At this time, you can see a listing’s all time favorites at the bottom of its page when viewing it as a buyer. That said, we do understand that centralizing this information on one page could be helpful. We’re currently exploring other ways we can surface this data to sellers. If you haven’t already, we’d love for you to fill out our seller survey form and tell us more about how you’d use information related to favorites when working on your shop. 

Finally, we appreciate your suggestion around showing all of your listings. We launched the current website view with the pagination to prevent the inconvenience of endless scrolling. However, this is feedback that we have hard and is definitely something that we can think through solutions for. For now, if you go view Stats through SOE, you can view all your listings on the same page. Additionally, please do share this suggestion in the form above so that we can make sure that any improvements and releases address the most relevant and impactful features.

Thanks again!

0 Likes
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

Jump to solution
@RhodeIslandPirate wrote:

I’d like to emphasize and expand on this question a bit.  I expect that this thread was intended to answer specific questions directly to do with using the new stats page, but at this point, I’m not sure whether or not trying to keep up with Etsy-provided stats is worth the time and effort — I mean that earnestly.  Before I write them* off completely: 

Could you provide a clear and detailed explanation of the motivation behind the ongoing changes to the Etsy stats page, including where they’re headed and how they benefit Etsy? In this explanation, can you plainly acknowledge that the changes made to stats since the customers tab was removed:

1. Provide less information;

2. What information there is has been arranged so that it is more complicated and with greater potential to mislead.

Unless I’ve misunderstood something, these points are undeniable — it isn’t a disgruntled reaction to a new change — objectively speaking, there is less information and more clicks, as well as categories that are considerably more open to interpretation.   Could you explain how this benefits individual sellers, whether directly, or indirectly, via the interests of Etsy corporate?

*Etsy stats, only — I’m not threatening to leave Etsy! Overall, I’m still pretty satisfied with my experience on the site — albeit not as blown away as I was when I opened my shop last year. 🙂

Hi @RhodeIslandPirate! Many thanks for your post!

Our goal is for sellers like you to use Stats to both understand the key drivers of success in their business and identify the biggest growth opportunities for their shop. After extensive research with a variety of sellers across categories, we’re confident that these changes were a step in the right direction. We take seller feedback very seriously, and we’ll continue to provide sellers with more valuable data and insights to help them grow.

If you haven't already, we encourage you to share your thoughts in our seller survey form as well. The team is actively reviewing it as we plan for future enhancements.

0 Likes
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Hi folks,

That’s a wrap for this Q&A. Thank you for sharing your questions with the team, and for all the thoughtful feedback.

If you still have questions, please feel free to reach out to our Support team. And if you have additional feedback to share, we encourage you to fill out our seller survey form

Thanks again and have a great weekend!

2 Likes
131 Replies
TimeInFantasy
Community Member

Jump to solution

Google organic search terms are just as important as Etsy search terms. Can we have a separated category of Google organic search terms too? Right now it is grouped under “Etsy Marketing and SEO”.

17 Likes
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

Jump to solution

@TimeInFantasy wrote:

Thanks @TimeInFantasy . This is a great question! For anyone else interested in this question as well, I just wanted to share a bit of background into the “Etsy Marketing and SOE” category. Currently, it’s an aggregate of all your visits from Google, Yahoo, Bing, and other search engines. This is mostly driven by Etsy investing in marketing and SEO optimization (such as through our market pages) to make sure that shoppers looking for items across different search engines are finding your listings. However, as you called out, this category could also include if a buyer searches for your shop directly in Google search. We’re currently working on better defining the breakdowns for traffic sources, so that we can show you the data you’re looking for more accurately. Ideally, you will be able to see the traffic you are getting from the different search engines, and whether it’s from Etsy SEO or organic searches, as you’ve requested. So it’s definitely on our radar, but please leave this request in the seller survey form as well, so we can make sure to prioritize the most relevant and impactful features.

1 Like
nemeton
Community Member

Jump to solution

Why are the dots joined up when the values being displayed (orders, visits, revenue, etc.) are discrete? It is meaningless and completely incorrect to draw lines between the dots - please can we have the nice clear bar charts back instead?

50 Likes
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

Jump to solution

@nemeton wrote:

Hi @nemeton! Thanks for joining our Q&A. I really appreciate you taking the time to ask this question. We present this data in the form of a graph so that you can more quickly see a trend of how your performance is changing across a selected time period. We validated the new designs through research with sellers like you and gathered feedback through a prototype group, so we’re confident on the usefulness of this, but I really appreciate hearing your feedback.

Thanks again!

0 Likes
CappuccinoLace
Community Member

Jump to solution

47 Likes
EarthsWings
Community Member

Jump to solution

It would be nice to have this feature back.

16 Likes
BigDogLadysJools
Community Member

Jump to solution

Yes, I'd like to know why favorites were removed as well.

Best wishes,

11 Likes
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

Jump to solution

@CappuccinoLace wrote:

Hi @CappuccinoLace , thanks for your question. We have heard from the community that this is an important metric. That said, we know based on data analysis that favorites do not necessarily correlate with sales and are not indicative of overall shop performance.

We are currently exploring other ways we can surface this data in a more relevant and actionable way. If you haven’t already, we’d love for you to fill out our seller survey form and tell us more about how you use favorites information to make decisions for your shop. 

Thank you!

0 Likes
PashaSupplies
Community Member

Jump to solution

As an international seller it is important to see from which countries my views are.

We used to have this feature but it was removed without explanation.

70 Likes
LittleGemsJewells
Community Member

Jump to solution

Yes, please, please, please give us back our world map with the views and sales from each country like we use to have, This was very useful to identify which countries we were getting the most custom from.

25 Likes
BigDogLadysJools
Community Member

Jump to solution

I miss the country views as well.  It was pretty cool to see people from all over the world viewing my items, and I even learned a little geography to boot. :)

Best wishes,

16 Likes
SunnyCreekStudios
Community Member

Jump to solution

I miss it too but found you if you log into a separate search tool etsyrank.com or erank.com you can find it there. It would be nice if they put it back. I wonder why they dropped it?

5 Likes
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff