Hi, everyone!

Thanks for making your way over to the Etsy Success section. We hope you’ve had a chance to review Josh’s Announcement on how we’re making it easier for US shoppers to find items that ship free. We know many of you may have questions and we're here to help!

Today and tomorrow, Madison, Bryan, Perry, Michele, and Nathan from the Etsy team will be hosting a Q&A on offering a free shipping guarantee. What questions do you have about this new guarantee?

Here are the Q&A details:
- Share your questions about this change in this thread from now until Wednesday, July 10. We will close the thread that evening at 9pm ET.
- Etsy staff will answer questions by 5pm ET on Thursday, July 11.
- It is unlikely we will be able to answer all questions, so be sure to read through what others have asked before posting your own. If yours has already been asked, give it a Like! We want to ensure that we answer the questions that matter most to you, so with that in mind, we will prioritize answering questions with the most Likes.

And a few housekeeping notes:
- This Q&A is to address questions about how we’re making it easier for shoppers in the US to find items that ship free. Please remember that all comments should remain on topic and in line with our community policies. Any comments that violate our policies will be removed.
- If you have feedback to share, we encourage you to fill out our seller survey form. We are collecting feedback and suggestions from the community here, and the team is actively reviewing it over the next couple of weeks.

One last note: if you are unable to make this Q&A, the team will be back next week to answer your questions about the new smart pricing tool that is designed to help you offer a free shipping to your US buyers and recover shipping costs. The tool should be available to all US sellers with items $35 and over next week, and all other sellers in August.

Thanks, all. We're looking forward to your questions!

JujuAndJake
Registered Member

Re: Q&A with Etsy admin: Offering a free shipping guarantee

Jump to solution

Extremely frustrating, and as I am reading through over 49 pages of responses so far, clearly I am not alone. This decision is blackmail, it will cost insternatioal sellers like me (from Canada) customers because we provide bulky items and shipping costs are pricy plus vary greatly based on zones. Customers are willing to pay shipping if the price is right, but inorportaing the shipping cost into the price of the item is false advertising and makes the item price unattractive. Very unfair to force us to provide free shipping or we won't be seen in search! What kind of business decision is that??! YOU ARE NOT AMAZON, STOP TRYING. BE DIFFERENT. Sales are slowly declining anyways with sellers coming in with mass produced items made in China, and now this? Wow. And if I pay for adveritising? Will you rank me lower than free shippers? 

10 Likes
minkavisuals
Registered Member

Jump to solution

I sell craft supplies -- I can't hide shipping costs in the product, as the items have a perceived market value.
My clients buy stuff from me at shows in person, if they come to etsy and the products are double the price to incorporate shipping, then how will that look? Plus I'm not going to label stock just for etsy and when I ship out an item that is labeled $5, but It sells for $10 on etsy to cover shipping?

Makes zero sense...

6 Likes
MourningDoveQuilts
Community Member

Jump to solution

<sigh> 

"One exception is "conditional" free shipping sales - i.e. sales that offer free shipping if a buyer purchases a minimum number of items or minimum order value. Listings that are covered ONLY by this sort of sale will not be eligible to receive the prioritization.

If you want to offer free shipping on US orders over $35 USD, keep a close eye on your shop manager. Over the next week, we'll be gradually rolling out a new page under the "Settings" section of the Shop Manager where you can easily turn on a "free shipping guarantee." When you turn this on, your shop will offer free shipping on all US orders $35 and up, and your listings will all be eligible to be prioritized in US search."

How is the US orders over $35 NOT a conditional free shipping sale?

2 Likes
GriffithGardens
Community Member

Jump to solution

Mourning Dove, where did you see this?: "One exception is "conditional" free shipping sales - i.e. sales that offer free shipping if a buyer purchases a minimum number of items or minimum order value. Listings that are covered ONLY by this sort of sale will not be eligible to receive the prioritization.

0 Likes
TheHomespunLoft
Community Member

Jump to solution

@minkavisuals  I agree-- I truly believe that Etsy does not understand that Lots of us sell other places besides Etsy and it is impt for us to maintain the same prices at all the places. It doesn't make sense to lots of us!

wow-- can't even get my nested reply into the correct place!

0 Likes
GrayGardenDecor
Community Member

Jump to solution

Did you guys at Etsy forget that usps just increased their shipping cost significantly on larger items? Shipping from one coast to the other can vary greatly on any given item (some very large items can be $30+ difference!!), so as a vintage seller, how on earth am I supposed to know what to add to my item to recover the shipping cost without making my items insanely expensive and uncompetitive in price? Are you planning on negotiating a better rate for shipping from usps? Because unless you do that, then I cannot afford to offer free shipping and so what are my options here? Get penalized by Etsy in the search because it’s not at all possible? Like seriously, what are you guys thinking? You better plan to get us some better rates then you have for us now through usps. If amazon can do it, why can’t you? We, as tiny individuals businesses, cannot negotiate that kind of a deal from usps, you as Etsy CAN! I think it’s the least you could do for us now that you have implemented this ridiculous plan to penalize anyone who can’t offer free shipping. Get with it Etsy!!! 

7 Likes
TheOldBarnDoor
Community Member

Jump to solution

@StrikeUpTheBandsaw  Thanks so much for the workaround suggestion.  While that approach may work in my other two shops, I have way too many sales (a good problem I will admit) in a year to take this approach. This is data Etsy has, showed to us before and all I am asking is to have it reinstated.  I guess I just have to wait while Etsys works "on ways to make this data more readily available to sellers"

0 Likes
MouseGarden
Community Member

Jump to solution

Being outside the US, it is very awkward offering free shipping to the US and not domestically.  But within Canada the cost is double or triple what it is in the US.  I could try and combine everything, but :

-if someone wants combined shipping on small items, they can't get it when the cost is in the price

-if someone gives me the wrong address and wants it reshipped, I can't pretend it is free (especially large items).  See also, anything returned because they wouldn't pay tax on it.

-at Christmas when someone wants faster shipping, how do I upgrade free?

-so far when I have offered free shipping, everything else sells except the ones with free shipping

At this point I don't think you really care what I think.  You always create chaos before Christmas.  I have a postal service for doing that, I don't need you to do it too.

10 Likes
minkavisuals
Registered Member

Jump to solution

Then why is Etsy not negotiating deals for sellers with USPS and Canada Post -- Amazon has huge deals with Ups/Canada Post, etc.  -- hence they can offer their deals.

If as an Etsy seller I could get the same cheap fees as Amazon, then I too could offer free shipping (well it would still bite me in the ass, however, the bite would hurt less).

6 Likes
LeatherD
Community Member

Jump to solution

DON'T offer free shipping.What if nobody will choose to offer free shipping?

17 Likes
GrayGardenDecor
Community Member

Jump to solution

Yes! I hope everyone boycotts the free shipping! 

16 Likes
MoonstruckCottage
Community Member

Jump to solution

My thoughts exactly! If the majority of shop owners doesn't cave in, then we are telling Etsy that free shipping is not a feasible option for our shops and that we can't and won't comply. We do have some power here -- if we stick together.

2 Likes
LylaSupplies
Community Member

Jump to solution

I hope most don't cave in. I certainly won't be.

1 Like
AngryGoatPottery
Registered Member

Jump to solution

The email from Josh says that this mandate is designed to make it easier for shoppers to locate items that ship free, and that they will be willing to pay "more" for those items. Etsy search already has a "free shipping" toggle. How is forcing sellers to absorb shipping costs into product pricing superior to such a simple and straight-forward tool?

17 Likes
oldjunkagain
Community Member

Jump to solution

ETSY,

I hope you will think this through thoroghly before rolling it out. I already know I can't do it. Maybe shoppers will learn soon enough to shop from the bottom of the list.

6 Likes
CraftyAliCat
Community Member

Jump to solution

Why has there only been a reply to the person  saying they ship for free already (suspected planted question!) and not to anyone else's concerns?  It is deceitful for Etsy to suggest increasing item prices to 'hide' shipping costs.  Etsy must allow sellers to break down their costs to buyers.  If Etsy is to banish me from SEO, then perhaps I can expect a huge reduction in the fees it charges me every day.

14 Likes
TheCraftandCupboard
Community Member

Jump to solution

I'm a shop in Canada who sells primarily to the USA. With this new forced free shipping, how does it work if someone wants to upgrade to priority shipping or priority express with USPS? I purchase USPS labels. I will have to absorb the $2.28 for First Class Mail into my listing, but what about priority mail which charges $7.80? Or Priority Express Mail that charges about $28? How will shipping upgrades work because I sure the BLEEP am not shelling out the money for priority shipping. 

Also, shipping to Australia and New Zealand is about $18 USD so I basically am not able to ship to anywhere in the world besides Canada and the USA now as I'm not raising my prices by $18... This is the solution correct? To cut out Australia and New Zealand? Or is there an actual way we can charge a shipping fee for different countries and just have free shipping for the US? 

1 Like
EpiclesisConsulting
Community Member

Jump to solution

My apologies if this has already been asked, but there are already 50 pages on this thread, and that's a bit more than I can face reading at the moment!

At this time, digital downloads do NOT appear when the "Free Shipping" filter is checked, so I would assume they also do not receive the free shipping "boost" in search placement. This is absolutely unacceptable. I'm sorry, but it is. "Shipping" is "delivery," and instant downloads are delivered without any additional charge to the customer. A shopper who does not want to mess with adding the shipping charge to find out how much they will actually be paying gets this benefit when they choose a digital version of the item they are seeking. There is no logical reason why downloads should be filtered out and pushed down in results. 

Does Etsy have any plans of changing this policy in the foreseeable future? It is not unreasonable to expect an answer to that question. It's not the first time I've asked about it, and I've only gotten vague responses that my suggestion has been passed along. If you have decided that digital downloads absolutely, positively are not what you are trying to promote with your free shipping initiative, then just have the integrity to say so straight out. There is a big difference between having been forgotten about so far (and possibly remembered eventually) and having been intentionally excluded for reasons of Etsy's own. It just would be nice to know which it is.

Trish O'Connor
Owner, Epiclesis Consulting LLC

11 Likes
Highlighted
Etsy Staff
Etsy Staff

Jump to solution

@EpiclesisConsulting wrote:

My apologies if this has already been asked, but there are already 50 pages on this thread, and that's a bit more than I can face reading at the moment!

At this time, digital downloads do NOT appear when the "Free Shipping" filter is checked, so I would assume they also do not receive the free shipping "boost" in search placement. This is absolutely unacceptable. I'm sorry, but it is. "Shipping" is "delivery," and instant downloads are delivered without any additional charge to the customer. A shopper who does not want to mess with adding the shipping charge to find out how much they will actually be paying gets this benefit when they choose a digital version of the item they are seeking. There is no logical reason why downloads should be filtered out and pushed down in results. 

Does Etsy have any plans of changing this policy in the foreseeable future? It is not unreasonable to expect an answer to that question. It's not the first time I've asked about it, and I've only gotten vague responses that my suggestion has been passed along. If you have decided that digital downloads absolutely, positively are not what you are trying to promote with your free shipping initiative, then just have the integrity to say so straight out. There is a big difference between having been forgotten about so far (and possibly remembered eventually) and having been intentionally excluded for reasons of Etsy's own. It just would be nice to know which it is.

Trish O'Connor

Thanks for joining our Q&A! Your question about digital download items is a great one. While we don’t have plans at this time to include digital download items in the Free Shipping search filter, they will still have the same type of eligibility for priority placement in US search results as physical items that ship free and shops that guarantee free US shipping on orders of $35+ USD. Please keep in mind that Etsy search is always changing. You can review our Ultimate Guide to Search for the most up-to-date information on how search works.

0 Likes
Nack4VintageShop
Community Member

Jump to solution

Wait, weren't they doing this like 6 months ago? Am I missing something?

0 Likes
EpiclesisConsulting
Community Member

Jump to solution

I think it's just something that is not going to go away, unless either Etsy sellers get on board or Etsy shoppers completely stop wanting it. If this initiative doesn't get better results than they got last time, then we can assume there will be another free shipping initiative down the road, and another one after that.

It does seem to me that there have been more and more sellers offering free shipping, so I think Etsy's efforts are going the direction they want to go.

Trish O'Connor

1 Like
MourningDoveQuilts
Community Member

Jump to solution

This Admin response was the most interesting to me "If you already offer free US shipping for your items, you may want to consider setting up a free shipping guarantee with our new tool so any new listings you create automatically offer free shipping to US buyers when they spend $35 USD or more on their order from your shop."  Combine that with the new listing auto-renew default and the buried shop announcement and it seems we're basically being filtered out of our own shops.  It's a shame Etsy has to deal with the sellers at all.  :/  Maybe one day they'll go all marketplace on us and we'll have to send everything to a big warehouse from which little Etsy minions will ship.  Yeah.  Not really funny.

Reminds me of living in OK and hearing sirens during tornado season and a TV voiceover saying "This is not a test."  Nope this is the real deal folks, from this day forward etc.  Boo.

3 Likes
blithebutton
Community Member

Jump to solution

Whichever admin said "

One exception is "conditional" free shipping sales - i.e. sales that offer free shipping if a buyer purchases a minimum number of items or minimum order value. Listings that are covered ONLY by this sort of sale will not be eligible to receive the prioritization.

If you want to offer free shipping on US orders over $35 USD, keep a close eye on your shop manager. Over the next week, we'll be gradually rolling out a new page under the "Settings" section of the Shop Manager where you can easily turn on a "free shipping guarantee." When you turn this on, your shop will offer free shipping on all US orders $35 and up, and your listings will all be eligible to be prioritized in US search."

Can someone clue me in on what the heck the difference is?

5 Likes
Gallery1910
Community Member

Jump to solution

What do I put on my customs forms? When I sell something from the UK I have to declare its value on a customs label and this can lead to import duties.  Since I have sold the item for more than its true value, do I have to reflect this in the customs declaration.  This is insane and is going to lead to alot of difficulties for both buyers and sellers.  I'm afraid it looks like Goodbye Etsy for me. The good times are really over.

13 Likes
NocturneStreet
Community Member

Jump to solution

Seller from the UK here as well, and I'd like to know this too, since lying about the value on customs forms is illegal.

4 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.