Product liability insurance advice

Hi all,

Hope Christmas is going well for you all! I've had an unexpected amount of sales since I opened my shop in April which is brilliant but now I need to consider insurance!

50% of my sales go to USA which makes up about 5k of my turnover, I'm trying to find insurance for product liability only for this. I don't need employers liability or public liability as I only trade online and don't employ anyone else. I've tried Ian Wallace but they require less than 20% of sales.

I've looked into Direct Line and they won't insure outside the EU, I've gone to Simply Business and am waiting for a quote from them and Lockyers because another website recommended them.

Can you offer any advice on how much you pay for insurance and where you are insured? I don't want to pay an extortionate amount for USA insurance but would like to still keep trading as it does make up 50% of my turnover! :(

Look forward to hearing from you,
Jess
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
5 Replies
StuckOnSilver
Inspiration Seeker

Re: Product liability insurance advice

Hi, Jess, love your work! What liability are you concerned about?

I personally wouldn't get any for shipping/sending your work.

I have liability insurance because I sell in craft shows and my canopy or table could cause injury in gale force wind, etc. though this is very unlikely.

Why do you want to get liability insurance?
0 Likes

I'm in a different country but my insurance is through Handmade Artisan Insurance. They insurance smaller companies in the craft industry.

Have you tried searching for insurance specifically for crafting or small businesses?
0 Likes
HildaLea
Crafty Poster

I agree with Bev. I wouldn't worry about insuring for shipping.

I might take a look at Etsy's infringement policies to make sure you're in compliance, though. Not trying to be rude, but companies like Disney have been known to care about those things.
0 Likes

Hi Bev,

Thank you for the advice, I have since got product liability of my products, I'm being over cautious and I'm sure no-one would injure themselves on a greetings card and try to sue but I got a little worried about the badge itself, especially as 50% of them go to the USA.

The insurance company have covered me for public liability too - although I have no plans to sell at markets etc at least I know I'm safe to if the option came about.

x
0 Likes

Hi Bee,

Thank you for making me aware of this - I figured I would be OK since it is all my own illustrations and not the direct design but I will be sure to look into it.

Thanks

Jess
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.