Product Photos for Made to Order Items

I have a shop full of made to order items.. They are made with NO preservatives and I promote that each item is FRESH and made to order.

So how is it best to handle promotional pictures?

Instead of making 1 of every size, in every fragrance JUST to take a picture, I made 1 of each size of 1 fragrance, then used that image for the others that will look the same. (Obviously I made the ones that LOOK different also, like the Peppermint cocoa one is made with cocoa so it won't look like the ones made with clear oils only)

I received a comment that it looks like my images are all too copy and paste, and that I should take a picture for each item.. I don't see this as being cost effective AT ALL especially since I have not yet had any sales and these items would just sit around getting old, reducing shelf life for customers.

I could replace the label on the jar with a new label for each of the 20+ difference fragrances I have (for now) like I just replaced the lids on the lip balm pictures to show the 32 different flavors. But that also seems a bit of a waste.

I'm also thinking of adding an image for each item where I photoshop in some items to show the fragrance (for example raspberries) BUT if I do it on the main image of the set then I disqualify myself from the google shopping posts (I read that in order to advertise on google shopping, you have to have white backgrounds) and if I do it on the subsequent images for each item, it won't even get seen unless someone views that specific item..

Any ideas?

I've been playing with designs.. If anyone would like to let me know which would attract more attention, which looks more professional, or which one you prefer, I'd be grateful!

I personally feel like the plain one is more professional, and the photoshopped one looks more eye catching, but it's photoshopped instead of using real props so less desireable..

This first one is the one I currently use
i37.servimg.com/u/f37/15/17/68/18/sugars10.jpg

This one is the photoshopped one
i37.servimg.com/u/f37/15/17/68/18/sugars11.jpg
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
10 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Product Photos for Made to Order Items

It might not be the best idea but if you want to work on the diversity of your pics in terms of product setting you can make "new" pictures every time you sell a certain flavour or a new size.
It might take some time but you could save on materials like that.
0 Likes

Thanks Barbara. I had thought of that. Each time I sell an item, take a picture of it with the labels. In time, that will be a great way to add to the pictures! Thank you!

I also thought of buying real items (like grapes or apricots, etc) to put in each photo. While we'll be able to eat the items afterwords, I have SO many different fragrances it's going to take me quite a bit to make room in the budget for all of those lol
0 Likes
StuckOnSilver
Inspiration Seeker

I suggest your do the above but also that you strive for a less busy photos. I agree that fruits and veggies might help. I would like to see more photos for each listing, I assume you have already made these different compounds to test for suitability--bite the bullet and make one more of each and photograph them. It might be an investment that will bring dividends!
0 Likes

Bev, yes I tested the formulations for about 8 months before posting them for sale with a test group. Just the recipes though, not the packaging. I also made 1 set of the scrubs and body butters that will not change color (my fragrance oils are non-colored so jar will be the same color as the other 25 listed and the 25+ yet to list) and 1 set of the ones that do have colors due to containing coffee grounds, oatmeal, or cocoa..

I guess I'm trying to say that since the sweet grape products will look no different than the cherry blossom or the coconut kiwi. That's why I just made one "base" batch for pictures.

I am planning on a craft show at the end of february, so I do have a perfect opportunity to re-photograph each item with it's actual labels. And I will need to order more containers for that. Right now I have 50 containers in each size of 8oz, 4oz, and 2oz to get started.. SO you can see how if I made just one of each for picture purposes, at roughly 25 (currently) fragrances for each body butters and sugar scrubs, I'd use every container just for pictures! LOL I can also work on more for each item then as well.

Do you suggest different angles? Are they clear enough? Skip the photoshopped additives from the second sample? The current ones are too busy, or the photoshopped one?

Sorry for so many questions, and thank you so much for the help!
0 Likes
StuckOnSilver
Inspiration Seeker

Jen, at least take photos for each listing, rather than use a stock image and photo shopping it. All the best!!
0 Likes

thank you Bev :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I see that everything is made to order. Are you doing that because the product doesn't sit well on a shelf for a longer period of time, or are you trying to keep costs down so you are only making what you sell?

I agree with everyone that you need to take pictures of individual items and not use a stock photo. I think using little props, like lilacs, sugar etc for the appropriate scent would look nice.
0 Likes
StuckOnSilver
Inspiration Seeker

I agree Elizabeth.
0 Likes

Hi Jen,

I just checked out your shop and really like your items. Here are my thoughts... they say a picture is worth a 1000 words :)... and many of us are very visual... if I was buying I would consider it a negative that I have to read all the titles to get an idea of what each is. I feel the photos are too much the same, with few obvious differences.

What about close ups/prominent/clear labels in the photos... until you have a chance to make your improvements?

My vote would definitely be to add some fresh/real ingredients (eg. a cedar branch and a curl of orange peal, small mounds of oatmeal and brown sugar, coffee and cocoa and veggies and fruits already mentioned).

I would eliminate so many bottles, at least in some of the photos.

My reasoning for the above is that this would be a clear message regarding your commitment to "fresh", would eliminate any confusion about the quantity the listing includes (1 not 3), and the buyer could see at a glance what ingredients have the greatest appeal.

I also checked out the photoshopped vs the current links you provided... and even though I personally would work towards no photoshopped photos, it does serve a purpose here, as a temporary measure... just seems to add so much visually! And basically gives the same "fresh" message... I'd be much more inclined to check out the one with the grapes than the plain one... its pretty! :)

Ultimately, doing your own photos will best say "homemade, small batch and fresh", imho.

Just my thoughts!...

Best Wishes,
Kim
0 Likes

Thank you Elizabeth, Bev, and Kim :)

Elizabeth, I would say, in truth, both reasons, but the primary reason is because I don't add preservatives so if I make them and package them the night before I ship them, then the customer gets the freshest product with the longest shelf life possible. If I make them now and it doesn't sell for 6 months I couldn't bear to send that to a customer. It's just too old.

Kim,
"My vote would definitely be to add some fresh/real ingredients (eg. a cedar branch and a curl of orange peal, small mounds of oatmeal and brown sugar, coffee and cocoa and veggies and fruits already mentioned)."
That is my ultimate goal, most definitely! and has been since day one.(I even bought one of those old stone mixing bowls with the grinder in it to use in the pictures) Once I started trying to gather the items for pictures I did get a little overwhelmed trying to get for each one and set up the light box each time and I guess I just quit too soon in an effort to get my shop launched before christmas sales fizzled out. I think a better approach may be to gather items for a handful of pictures every week, instead of all at once. Thank you!
The number of bottles.. I hadn't even thought of that, thank you! I had just wanted to show the different sizes of each and hadn't considered that it could be mistaken for quantity. That is something I definitely want to fix as well! I could use the multi-jar picture in a later image to show sizes perhaps, and not the main image.
I also thought the same thing about the photoshopped vs non.. I don't want the images to appear altered and not true to form, but it does -have a lot of eye-catchyness to it. lol

I will most definitely work on real items in the pictures. After all, I have a whole house of kids ready to devour my props on sight! I just hope, this time, that they wait until I'm done with them! LOL

Thanks guys for your very helpful words and thoughts on this.. It's something I've been struggling with. HUGS
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.