Former_Member
With all this talk about pricing, I thought it might be helpful to start a "critique" chain.

We've all looked at the formulas from the workshops, but I think it would also be helpful to hear some feedback on what "seems" like a reasonable price from a buyer's perspective.

So, please critique the shop above you in this discussion chain in reference to pricing. Remember to think about that shop's typical market (in your opinion). Are the prices too high? Too low? Just about right?
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Pricing - critique the shop above you

To ChrisOsCreations,

I think most of your items priced quite reasonable.
only the leather cuff/bracelet I found it's a little bit expensive.
few of cuffs are cost nearly £30....maybe reduce a little bit?
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Cindy,

I really don't know alot about selling vintage stuff but your items seem to priced reasonably. Good luck on sales!!

Mollie
0 Likes

Mollie, your prices seem spot on. I may even go a little higher, but they're definitely reasonable!
0 Likes
frenchsoul
Inspiration Seeker

Laura, I think you have got your prices right too! Some lovely items, really interesting shop!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Helen, your pictures are lovely- they are bright and rich, almost edible. I think pictures are so important!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hi, Jane,

I think the price of your phone strap is too high for me, at least once it is converted to dollars. The sale price of your earrings is more in line with what I'd pay, but after shipping it would be out of my budget. What does the phone strap cost so much more? Is it because of the length/amount of beads needed? While the beads are very pretty, and you've done a great job selecting colors, I wouldn't pay $50+ for a string of beads. Is there anyway to decrease shipping costs? Perhaps you've looked at all the options, but nearly $20 seems like a lot for something as lightweight as beaded items. I can mail my coasters to the EU for $19, and they weigh nearly 2 lbs/4.5 kgs.
0 Likes

Hi Sara,

Love your shop, and your pictures are good. I Love the fact that part of your proceeds in 2012 go to the Humane society.
I think your prices are right on! Compared to others they seem right in the middle or in some cases right on...
I think you should add more items to your store and have a couple pages of things, as I am in the process of doing too.

Good luck with your sales... :))
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hi Valeri,
i love the things you do. i'm not to familiar with the Crochet business but I think that you could raise your prices by 10% at least. I'm saying it because I'm pretty sure that making crochet takes great amount of time, and I'm not sure if you pay yourself for that time.

Especially i loved the Black Bear Beanie its so cute!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Albina:

For the most part, I think your prices are pretty good. That's what I would pay for them. Except this one:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/100024188/white-ribbon-flower-pin-bridal-hair

I think you should price it higher. Like $10. I'm not sure how much time you put into making them, but I love the way this product looks.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jen:

I think you could afford to ask a little more for your products. Especially the slippers. I would be willing to pay a little more for hand made slippers. A healthy business should make at least 40% profit. Count together the cost of your material + labor + other costs (packaging, etsy and paypal fees etc..) + taxes and see how much you have left. Hope this helps :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Leea - Super cute clothes! I think the garments are priced well, but perhaps the accessories could be a tad lower, at least looking at the dollar prices instead of the euro price.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hello Laura

Lovely things. I think the felted purses and bags are too expensive for me, but I don't know how much work has gone into it, and also I have been a student for so many years that I am not necessarily representative of most shoppers and their disposable incomes! I think your other items are priced very well though, and are at prices whereby I would certainly consider them.

0 Likes

You have some lovely beaded jewery in your shop. I think the prices are reasonable for them and I would definitely pay thevasking price.
I like how you have a child's necklace which is priced very well for a gift for a young one.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hi Mel,

You have some great pieces in your shop! I can see lots of creativity and imagination at work behind them. I think most of your pieces, under $25 are great, that is a nice price range to give as a gift. A few pieces were slightly higher, around $28, but I am sure there is mroe work put into those pieces. Keep up the good work!

Molly
0 Likes

Hi Molly- Looking through your shop, I think your items are priced fairly, but I would charge more for shipping. Unless you have raised your prices to include some of the shipping in the initial cost, you will probably loose money on the shipping. Take your 8x10 mirrors for example. You charge $30 plus $5 shipping to everywhere else outside the US. It could easily cost you $40 to ship one of those overseas if someone in Asia or Europe bought one.

Having sold items with glass (framed art prints) I know that you really need to pack those items well to make sure they don't brake before delivery. For me, I just mail everything like that in a USPS priority flat rate box. If you go to USPS.com you can see the different sizes for flat rate boxes and how much it costs to ship those boxes all over the world. For me, it's an easy way to calculate my shipping costs making sure that I don't loose money by under-charging.
0 Likes

Monica,
Your items are very adorable and I think you are charging a fair price for prints and cards. Bookmarks are also priced fairly. Your shipping costs are perfect and I like the fact that you ship Priority and offer confirmation. Best of luck to you in your business!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Toma,

I think your clips are reasonably priced, but your skirts (which are adorable) I think could carry $19-$21, which would fit right in with the pillowcase dresses.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/99569394/girls-twirl-skirt-in-hot-pink-gingham

I also think these could be more like $6-7. I have sold some of these in my shop and I've charged $7.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/99328738/girls-reversible-headband-in-light-green
0 Likes

Adyan, your items are really cute and fun for children, and I can only really compare the price to what I see in stores and its roughly the same price.

only advice I would give is to brighten your pictures a bit, they are colourful designs just need to pop some more!
0 Likes
BooandBooFactory
Inspiration Seeker

Marrythenight
Wow amazing shop! So beautiful and unique! I think your prices are great! If anything maybe you should charge more! They look so detailed and I love the stones. Great job!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Christina,

I love your shop! Such bright, beautiful colors! From a buyer's perspective, I think most of your items are priced fairly. The only one that I think might be a bit too expensive is this one:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/100340979/neon-rope-necklace-tribal-triangle-and

However, I have no idea how much it costs to make the necklace, and I'm just going off of my instinct. I would maybe pay 100 at the most. On the other hand, these seem like a very reasonable price:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/94664545/geometric-leather-earrings-mini-triangle

Again, this is my gut instinct and I could be totally wrong. I do love your shop though, and I'm adding a bunch of your items to my favorites. :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Kelsey from jewelrybyKAS
I think your prices are okay. Once you finish switching them to the fotofuze backgrounds (if you plan to do them all-I don't know) you could raise the prices up $3-5 I think. Some seem a little low.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Bill from BillsWoodenPleasures -

Your prices look pretty good for woodworking products. Then again, I don't know much about these types of products, what time/materials go into it etc...but from a customer's stand point they seem reasonable. From what I remember from recent arts/crafts fairs, they seem to be in right around the same price.

My preference is with the more rustic pieces...love the candle holders! And that seems to be a pretty popular market lately - maybe you could expand your line more and take advantage of this? Just a thought! :)

Good luck to you!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Bill- I saw yours first, so here's my opinion: I think your prices are right on, but you might look at increase some so that you can lower the shipping costs. Shipping is of course more expensive for you, but it might turn buyers off to see $20 for shipping, whereas adding $10-15 to the price would be okay.

Amanda- Your prices look right on. I just wonder if you might loose money with such low shipping prices for some pieces. It might be that you've worked those costs in elsewhere, but particularly, if you ship your necklaces in jewelry boxes, that adds a bit of price there.

Good luck to you both.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I'll do one for Amanda and Amie so no one gets skipped :)

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Amanda,
Your shop is ADORABLE! I love those little birds - so stinkin' cute! I think your prices are reasonable and fair in my opinion. Looking at your items you can see the amount of detail that goes into each one. I would pay the prices that you are asking. I wouldn't raise them .... or lower them ... I think they are right on. Also... your shipping is priced great too ... just what I would expect to pay for that size item. :)

Great shop and great job!
Best Wishes!
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.