Former_Member
Not applicable

Popularity of a Listing

What takes any listing to become popular?

I'm fully aware that an item has to be creatively designed and unique as well as have a good SEO. But is there anything else?

There are some common items that most sellers create using basic patterns like polka dot and stripes, but what makes the item stand out among the rest in this case?
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
5 Replies

Re: Popularity of a Listing

I have an item in one fabric that had been extremely popular for the past 2 years. For the past 1 1/ 2 years it has usually been in the first 10 items shown when Googled with certain key words. I have tried to figure out why it is so popular, and decided that there are several reasons. The main reason is that (unknowingly) I found a fabric that is in high demand for baby and toddler boys. It is so hard to find things for boys that isn't too babyish or cute and will last them for awhile. It has bright colors that will go with almost any color scheme. Because of those 2 reasons it is very versatile. A 3rd reason is that the item will last for several years, so it makes the higher price more acceptable. Also, the photos are bright and fun which makes it desirable for young kids. A 4th reason is that the photos show that the item is well made and I take pride in my products. I always press items before I photograph them to make sure there aren't any wrinkles. A 5th reason is that I have been fortunate to receive very good feedback on that item. The 6th reason is that it has received enough views and sales to keep it as one of the first shown. And the last reason is that I work at communicating with potential customers to show them that I will happily do my best in providing them with a finished product they are happy with.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

That must be great to know that one of your items is popular. I have few items that are searched almost daily. For example, my Blue and Red Nautical papers reached 364 views already!

However, I was wondering about other items that use common patterns like stripes. How can it stand among hundred of stipe patterned papers, and fabrics?
0 Likes

I believe it is supply and demand no matter what the item is. I never thought that the plainest item I make would have become my biggest seller but it has. And really it is basically white.
0 Likes

I misunderstood your question. I had never searched for digital paper before, and when I did I was amazed that there are over 140,000 listed on Etsy. Sometimes basic shapes stand out when they are paired with something totally different, but still goes with the basic concept. Keep studying how other similar shops present their items to help you figure out what you might want to change in your presentations. Also, make use of the 5 photo spots. You can show the full designs, you can show examples of how they can be used, and you can show how they might be coordinated with other groups of patterns you have. Your main photos help get the potential customer to your shop, but the side photos can give them an additional reason to stay there and explore. I don't know if this helps, but keep trying. You have some beautiful items. Good luck.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

@Alona: I agree with what you said but I can't help but notice how there are multiple items with similar color or pattern yet some stand out among the rest.

@Janie: I've been studying but perhaps my studies weren't enough to figure out the main reasons behind this and so many other things. It's fun to look around and try to analyze and pin point some successful tips for my store but it's also tiring.

I don't think I can use up all 5 images since my items are all digital. If I was to use them, I'll use up to 3 images only and that is to prevent repeating the same images over and over again. In some of my items I presented few ideas on how to use these digital papers but I'm sure many people know what to use these paper packs for.

Thank you so much for your input :)
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.