Former_Member
Not applicable

Placeholder

Jump to solution
For some time, we’ve heard from our community that our categories could be clearer. Previously, categorization was based on many different concepts, including what an item is, who it is for, and what it is made of. That made it tricky for sellers to pick the right categories for items – and for buyers to find them.

Over the past year, we’ve been working with Etsy buyers and sellers to better understand how searching for products on Etsy can be improved. Based on their feedback, we have updated our listing categories to ensure there is a logical place for every unique item on the site. The new categories take effect today. You can check out the new categories by searching for an item, adding a new listing or editing an existing listing.

To go over these changes and what they mean for your shop, we will be hosting an Online Lab on Wednesday, February 25 at 11 a.m. (ET). We’ll also be answering your questions during the workshop.

In the meantime, we encourage you to check out the category changes and learn more about them in this Forums thread http://etsy.me/1Aivcfz and FAQ http://etsy.me/FAQ3280.

Subject: Exploring the New Listing Categories
When: Wednesday, February 25 @ 11 a.m. (ET)
Where: http://etsy.me/labs225
Who: Etsy Admin, and YOU!

To Participate: For those of you who get a chance to take a look at these new categories, let us know if you have any questions, thoughts, or advice that you’d like to share. We will be highlighting as many comments as time allows during the live session on Wednesday.

When posting, keep in mind that this team is dedicated to sharing small business advice in a supportive environment. Please do not share social media links, Treasuries, new item listings, calls for entries or submissions in team discussions, unless you are sharing or asking for small business advice. Thank you!

There are no sign ups or automatic reminders for this session so please be sure to set your own reminder. If you are unable to attend, we will be posting an archived version of the video in this thread the day after the live session. Please note that if you would like to participate in the live chat, it is only available during the live session.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Placeholder

Jump to solution
Hi sellers!

Here is a list of resources that we will be sharing during the live event. You can reference these links at your convenience.

You can see a full list of the categories for sellers here: http://etsy.me/newcategories
If you need to find a specific category, hit the Command + F keys on a Mac, or Ctrl + F on a PC and type in the category that you're searching for in the search bar that pops up.

Missing a category? Our category feedback form is here: http://etsy.me/categoryfeedback

Here is our help article with more information about categories: https://www.etsy.com/help/article/3267

For those of you who aren't able to attend the live session, I will also be posting a link to an archived version of the talk in this thread later on today.

I'm looking forward to seeing you all in the live chat today! http://etsy.me/labs225

♥ Clare

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Hi there team,

The archive is now up! If you were unable to attend the live session, or if you'd like to watch it again, you can find the recorded version here: http://etsy.me/labs225archive

Thanks again to all of you for participating! Make sure to check out the resources I provided in my previous post if you have any questions after watching the video.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
90 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Thank you,
I have had this version available for awhile and still can not figure out how to add or change pricing and variations in multiple listings at the same time.
I will read more in the forums that are in your message.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
I took a look at the new categories today and found that hair accessories are now listed under Bath & Beauty instead of in the Accessories category... Is this really where customers are searching for hair accessories?
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Can someone please tell me where to list tea pots? For the life of me I cannot figure it out Its a 1940 tea pot.
Let me know if it's just me or frustration!

Thank you!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I'm wondering how these categories are going to change search and tagging. For example, right now I have "vintage," "jewelry," and "ring," (in that order) listed as the first three tags for most of my ring listings. Should I still be doing that now that the categories have changed (there's no longer a "vintage" category listing). Any help on how these categories will affect search and tagging would be *very* appreciated.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
I would put it under Home & Living Kitchen & Dining. Vintage is under item type which you can choose all items, handmade or vintage. I wonder what happened to supplies....
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
oh, I see supplies
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
will this change the tags. My new category is invitation. Should I put invitation as a tag still?
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I looked at my Categories stats and there are only 17 hits for the whole year. My question would be how do I become more relevant in Categories. Most people find me through Search. Do I even need to be concerned with this?
0 Likes
Ciacio
Post Crafter

Jump to solution
Hi, I can't undestand where to put children illustrations and alphabet letters for children rooms and nurseries.
I'd like to put my wooden alphabet letters for nursery decoration inside a category like "Home decor --> Nursery / Children room". I think you should add this kind of place of the house in Home category.
Maybe the same for children illustration.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
All of my shop items are for children. However, because some of the items are unique (ie. pencil toppers or crayon rolls), that when I looked at each category I had a difficult time deciding which to place my item under. Hooded bath towels for children was another item that I cannot find an appropriate category to place it under -- do not suggest Bath and Beauty since there is no towel section, only a washcloth!!!! Suggestions????
0 Likes

Jump to solution
How can you not have a category for bridal bouquets under weddings? And under Accessories, next to none of these apply to bouquets, bridesmaid jewelry, boutonieres, centerpieces, etc. The only thing that applies to my products is hair accessories.

I am seeing other categories really lacking as well.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Just chiming in to say: YES! How will this affect our tags? Thanks, guys! <3
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
This is very helpful for my vintage clothing shop. I would like to see "vests" added to the list as they don't apply anywhere else. I see "sweater vest" under sweaters and that is great but what about suit vests, waistcoats, leather vests, etc.?
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Thank you for the update. I started updating my shop today. It will be nice to learn more about these changes.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
With the new changes I was expecting to see a lot more/ different categories. More specific, especially with children's items, which I feel is a large market for Etsy.

For example the baby bibs I have in my shop are currently listed under bath and beauty > Baby and child care. I am not sure this will make it easier to be found.

I was also hoping to have 'on trend' item categories. Such as 'bunting' etc.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
The changes don't make a lot of sense for my shop. My angel tree toppers, which are quite delicate, are under toys, dolls and action figures.

Most of my needle felt items are more for display, but they have all been categorized under toys. And there is no quick way to change categories for all listings.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Hi Claudia Marie,
You could categorize your felted items as art -> fiber art -> felting. I have also put some as art -> sculpture

I hope that 'felting' will be changed to 'felted'. And I really liked the soft sculpture category, it's no longer there.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I think it's a definite improvement!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
I would like to see a category for Pastels under art...there is a category for watercolors and acrylics...
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
I was updating my categories in response to recent changes, and I notice something interesting. When I list necklaces under the category wedding:jewelry:necklaces or pendants a message popped up saying they would also show up in the regular jewelry catorgory under either necklaces or pendants. I can increase the number of places my item is seen on etsy by listing this way. Are there any disadvantages to listing my items in the wedding category over the regular jewelry category?

Can the same feature be added to purses so I don't have to chose between weddings and everyday use.
0 Likes
NewportRoad
Registered Buyer

Jump to solution
I really miss Antiques as a category. Also Holidays. I feel that these are basics and necessary for so many items.

I'm hoping that these will be added back in!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
I have to say, I was happy you did the work for me! Most of my items are unusual, home decor-ish things so they didn't fit well with most of the previous categories. The new categories seem to hit the mark a bit better so I am happy with them! Thanks from a happy Etsy seller :- )
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
firstly, I am in the UK - could someone tell me what the time of the discussion is in GMT - ie say London time - even if its in the middle of the night - I might just be awake!

Secondly, I've already noticed that my listings have been automatically re-categorized and some of them are in the most ridiculous places - I'm slowly working thro them to try and find what the right place is for them now all the changes have been made - but so far, not many of them fit in where I want them to be.

I wonder whether being in odd places will help or hinder sales?
0 Likes
OlivosARTstudio
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution
I was expecting to see more categories,- and yes, and please more categories for children and weddings and most of all: Fine Art related.

in the Home categor add children's room and nursery ("Home decor --> Nursery / Children room") and a Holiday section is important too.

Thanks!
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.