Paypal - just check your account

Hi all! I was just checking out with the post office using my paypal account and someone hacked my account in the time it took to fill out a new address.

The phone system said they had unusually high call volume @ paypal. I'm thinking it would be a good idea to check your balance - just in case. My balance went to a prepaid credit card somewhere in CA??

but Paypal stopped the transaction and the balance was returned immediately. Better safe than sorry.

Hope you didn't get hit (weak smile).
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
15 Replies

Re: Paypal - just check your account

Thanks for the heads up!!!!
0 Likes

Could be you used your PayPal debit card on a reader that stole your info.
This happened to me in San Francisco / Japantown a few years back.
Paypal caught it fast, issued me a new card and put the balance back into my account instantly.
0 Likes
HBMUSE
Post Crafter

I get an alert via email anytime a transaction occurs with my PayPal account - online or with debit card. Did you receive any emails prior to the funds being transferred?
0 Likes
allyandb
Registered Buyer

Sorry to hear this! You actually just reminded me to call paypal. I keep trying to transfer my money to my bank account and it keeps telling me I can't because of withdrawal limits, but I'm not past mine so I don't understand what's going on!!
0 Likes

Hey :) I got an email this morning to verify my bank account on paypal I didn't answer it/follow any link but I opened it maybe that was enough.

@sindra It was funny because after I sorted it out, I got an email saying "your funds will be transferred per your request" email - so if it was a hack at least they aren't smart enough to turn off alerts.

@rustic I don't have a paypal debit card...or I never signed up for one. Maybe that's the how it worked. Good insight.

I always thought my password was safe because it was in Swedish - lol. Paperless world...any day now :)
0 Likes

yea they got me too a couple weeks ago.
0 Likes

Thank you!!
0 Likes

thanks for the heads up - I'm ok but it was a reminder to transfer money into my bank account :)
0 Likes

Thanks for the reminder to transfer some funds,
on my to do list for tomorrow.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I just got a phishing email from "paypal" asking me to verify my account. Just reminded me of this thread.

Remember that paypal never sends out these emails so don't click on their link. It's always good to check your accounts often for fraud. I don't usually keep a balance in my PP account but I do check my accounts regularly.

Just the norm when dealing with e-banking.
0 Likes

Just FYI....any emails from Paypal are addressed to you personally, stating your name. If your name is missing, or if it's spelled incorrectly, it's probably fake.
0 Likes

I've been getting a lot of phishing emails too - you can forward them to spoof@paypal.com, and just maybe Paypal can/will do something about the little monsters...
0 Likes

Thanks for all your suggestions! Etsians United!
0 Likes

BTW - another fyi after I've changed my paypal password and got another phising email about my gmail account.

So, My dears do be diligent. I've never in the last 7 years had so much nonsense happen. Watch your alerts and change long standing ppwds no matter how "strong" they are.

The funny thing is, my life ain't easy so ya don't want to assume my identity and I am not rolling in $$ by any stretch of the imagination so ya will get a bus ticket to Ohio - maybe. lol.

0 Likes

thank you for sharing this! I have been receiving a TON of spam emails from "paypal" telling me my account has been limited and I need to follow the link to log in and verify my information. Please be on the lookout for these emails, and remember to never follow the link. If you're questioning it, always check the senders address or call.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.