Former_Member
Not applicable

Paypal Credit Card Swiper for iphone/ipad

Has anyone ever used the credit card swiper that you can get through paypal? Likes/dislikes? I want to find a way to accept credit cards at an upcoming event. Seems like paypal would be easy because I already use it through Etsy. I would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
16 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Paypal Credit Card Swiper for iphone/ipad

I have heard a lot of good things about Square.

https://squareup.com/
0 Likes

I agree with Erin. I got a Square card reader and it is very easy to use. It helps you to capture sales at craft shows or other events where people want to use their credit cards.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I also really like my square reader.
0 Likes

I have a Square and the Paypal reader- they're both free and when one (Square) poops out, the other usually works. I'm an advocate for having one of every system if it's free, it's security if something doesn't work.

My Square reader gets unhappy when the temp is over 95 degrees- which it was for almost every summer show. I had to enter everything manually, which has a higher fee and a price per use.

Square just updated something right before my last show in Nov and I wasn't able to use it at all. Their customer service wasn't able to respond in a timely manner to help me deal with the challenge. Paypal saved the day(s)!

The other nice thing about Paypal is that people recognize it on their bill. Sometimes people challenge the charge when "square" shows up on their bill- it's not your shop name in the credit card record.

I recommend having both, but use my Paypal first. It's also entered into my Outright Accounting system automatically with Paypal, not so with Square.
0 Likes

Glad I saw this thread, I sell at a flea market on the weekend. I've missed sales because I did not take credit cards. I purchased a Paypal reader last night, hopefully I'll get a few sales this weekend.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Do you guys know if the Paypal reader requires internet at the time of use? I don't have internet service on my iPhone (strange, I know.. It's a pay as you go plan) but just Wifi. I ordered the paypal reader but if it won't work without internet t's practically useless for me. I just need it to save the card information until I can get to somewhere with Wifi, like home.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Do either of these card readers work with a tablet? I don't have a smart phone, but I do have a Samsung Galaxy Note tablet.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I would also love to know that. My husband has an ipad! No smart phone here, but it may eventually be worth it to get one.
0 Likes

would it work with an Itouch from apple, I dont have a smart phone but I have the ipod touch? would it work ?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Here is the current compatibility list for Square:
https://squareup.com/help/en-us/article/3887-device-compatibility-with-square

I havent used the PayPal option, so Im not sure if they offer the same type of network, but with Square, my customers and I are afforded the ease of having their information already stored (if they are previous Square users), so I dont always have to ask and type in full email addresses or phone numbers to email or text their receipt.

I do feel that Square is more popular in my area than the PayPal version, so as a vendor, it behooves me to use the service that more of my buyers are familiar and associated with, but PayPal could be the way to go for someone else!

(I think the price difference is PayPal: 2.7% vs Square: 2.75%)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I just received the free PayPal swiper and plan to use it in my upcoming craft fair in April.

Maybe I completely live under a rock here in Chicago, but I have not heard of Square. Not sure what customer's perceptions are of Square vs. PayPal. I believe most people are familiar with PayPal because of Ebay.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Pamela, how do I order the free swiper for paypal?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Never mind, my kindle won't work; just saw the go to post. thanks
0 Likes
ElectronicGirl
Inspiration Seeker

I tried to download the software...and was never able to even get the thing to download. So i pretty much gave up on it. Ended up going with square.
I recommend searching for reviews about pp's swipe thingie.
Good luck
0 Likes

The PayPal version works on my iPad, as well as iPhone.
0 Likes

Another plus to square..(not sure about paypal, never used their swiper) is that you can track cash transactions for free, and it will even email or text a receipt to your customers. I found typing in a bill on the square register was a lot easier (and professional looking) than writing in a receipt book. I've had no problems with mine, and absolutely love it!
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.