Former_Member
Not applicable

Payment on hold for ten days??

A customer ordered from my store using PayPal almost ten days ago. I have been signed up to Etsy Payments for more than a month, and have had other people order through PayPal without issues. Customer messaged me asking why I'm holding up her order. Is there a reason why Etsy would put a hold on a PayPal purchase for nearly ten days??
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
5 Replies
LeedsRadio
Inspiration Seeker

Re: Payment on hold for ten days??

Are you sure it's not PayPal who has a hold on the payment? What messages did you receive from either?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Apparently it was PayPal who put the payment on hold and she opened a dispute with them. Then the order was officially cancelled.

Now, a different order has been made using Etsy Payments and Etsy is holding that for processing as well.
0 Likes
LeedsRadio
Inspiration Seeker

PayPal gives the seller time to answer a dispute. You didn't reply?
0 Likes

I've had weird challenges with paypal holding money when exchanged between friends for school related fundraisers (not Etsy business stuff). It was marked as 'on hold' until the 31st of the month (most of the month later). When I log into paypal it was all clearly marked as on hold with the scheduled release date.

The only challenges I've had with paypal holding fund for business/Etsy stuff were when someone paid with a bank transfer. Apparently that can takes 3-4 business days, which doesn't happen if you have $$ in your paypal account, or if it's linked to a credit card.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Holding the orders has occurred nearly five times now. It's happening both with customers paying by PayPal and credit card. These orders show up on my orders page in processing with a message from Etsy saying I will receive an email when it's officially accepted. Only I've never received an email. Etsy just cancels the orders without warning or explanation, and no official transfer of the money into my Payments or PayPal.

- I was never given an email by PayPal about a dispute. The orders show as processing on the orders page with no way to give a refund, or have any control over the order. It's all on Etsy's end where they just end up canceling the order without giving me or a customer the reason why.

- Thanks, this is interesting to know though orders are being held in processing for both credit cards and PayPal.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.