TheFabledFlames
Inspiration Seeker

Packaging/shipping Question

Hi all, is it worth it to buy pretty packaging when you ship your items? I'm brand new (no sale yet) but was thinking when I get my first sale, does presentation matter all that much?
I was going to pick up some gift boxes this weekend to package my candles in, but I'm really tight on money, so I don't want to spend it if I don't have to right now.
More experienced Etsy people, what do you think?
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
4 Replies
maydaylabels
Conversation Maker

Re: Packaging/shipping Question

Depends on your target market. Secure packaging is much more important than pretty packaging.
0 Likes

I agree with Sara, You can always add a little pizzaz with inside wrapping with tissue paper (something fitting for your candles) and some type of reasonable priced ribbon that matches your branding or atmosphere of your shop. Check out this Etsy link
https://www.etsy.com/seller-handbook/article/packaging-inspirations/22823301557. Hope this helps.
0 Likes
LeedsRadio
Inspiration Seeker

Doesn't have to be pretty but it does have to be professional. The package is your customer's first impression of you. My shop is in a commercial building with other tenants who sell online. At least one sells on Etsy. I really wonder how those people send out their their crumpled up boxes and envelopes with sloppily taped on paper labels.

Security is very important too. I learned long ago that handling damaged and lost items is very expensive. A while back I decided I didn't want any more claims. I experimented with packaging and now 30,000 shipments later I've had only one claim for damage and one for loss. Most of what I sell is glass yet you can take one of my packages. throw it across the room or drop it 10 or 12 feet and the product will survive.

I also double check with the customer if there are any anomalies in their address or if the address doesn't resolve with USPS. You'd be surprise how many people don't know the proper name for the town they live in or street they live on. If the name resolves, the zip + 4 is embedded in the bar code. The package moves along faster and with greater accuracy.
0 Likes

Hi Kendra,
I don't sell candles, so take that into consideration when you read this. :)I'm thinking only of your best move to get repeat customers. And I love marketing. Your candles are beautiful, but that's not always enough. And marketing is expensive. You need 'word of mouth' and repeat sales from every order.

Picture yourself on the receiving end. I love good customer service. I sent every piece in a monogrammed box, wrapped with a ribbon, and placed in an organza bag with every order for over 10 years - up until this year. Now I offer that as a gift wrapping service for a fee, but it doesn't really sit well with me. I just don't want to eat that cost any longer.

I love to receive supply orders with a little free gift, or items that I can reuse. And at the very least a nice hand written note. But if it is simply the supply, sent in an envelope (that got lucky in transport) with invoice or no, it doesn't mean that I won't order from them again; because I will if I have to; if a customers order requires that I do. But it instantly gives me a lesser impression of them. Like I said, I love marketing & customer service. So if it's a handmade item that I'm ordering for personal use - that would be a big bummer for me. But your items are often going to be gifts. And you want them to keep you in mind for all their future gift giving needs, along with personal needs. Candles are expensive in general; not to mention, for sale at every local shop. So to entice someone to pay another $7.40 (I know that is reasonable) in shipping I would definitely offer some really nice, and secure packaging. If you're not going to send it gift ready, then you should offer Gift Wrapping as a service. If I'm going to buy myself a candle, I will buy it locally so that I can smell it first. If your customers order for themselves, and they love it, they will order it as a gift for someone else. You want them to order knowing that their gift will arrive at the recipients address looking gift ready. I'm picturing a candle folded nicely in tissue held shut with a sticker boasting your business logo, and secured in bubble wrap. Cylinder shipping tubes would up that game immensely.

Your photos are fantastic!!! I would keep adding 5 or more of each candle, and then try some indoor (actual home décor style) photos. People need the visual idea as well. I wish you the very best here.
Kindly,
~Keri
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.