Opinions on BNS & BNRs

Hi all,
I am just wondering what people's thoughts are on these. I noticed a lot of shops participate in multi boards on a constant basis. Does anyone know if there is evidence that this brings in REAL sales, as opposed to just shops shopping shops?

Thanks in advance
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
16 Replies

Re: Opinions on BNS & BNRs

BNR's and BNS's are not my target market. Even in my soap shop, I stay away from them. I have participated before, but the return is not really worth my investment of time. There are some people who really enjoy them, and that's great. It's just not MY thing. :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I tried them when I first opened. The same people always get the sales and make the purchases. So the same people end up in them over and over. I made two sales in the probably 15 BNS's I have been in. Thankfully, I only bought in twice and it was for baby shoes Abby needed anyway. The rest of the time I was gifted a spot or won it.

I no longer go anywhere near them. Not worth it for me. Waste of time and effort.
0 Likes

Not my fav way of promo either, I was in a couple but got there b/c of winning in another game and got a "free spot" in. I know quite a few sellers who love them and participate all the time but like Ida said "Unless you intended to buy what was in them in the first place", I then they are of no benefit I think for my shop and my intended market or purpose.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Perhaps I've been living under a rock but what do these acronym's stand for? Are they some type of group?
Thanks
Marti
0 Likes

I never understood how they work or what the point is. I'd rather have sales from buyers that don't have an agenda behind the purchase.
0 Likes

Buying things in order to make sales does not fit in any successful business plan.
If you participate for the fun of it, good for you.
If you think you are helping your sales..... it's a waste of time.
Fake sales don't do anything for reaching your target market and other desperate sellers are not your target market.

Marti, BNR = buy and replace, BNS = buy and stay.
It's a treasury game where you buy something from that treasury list and in return have one of your items included, hoping it will sell to another seller, who will then have their item included and hope it sells, etc.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

If your target customer is the person who takes part in Etsy games, then by all means continue to participate in the BNRs and BNSs.

Personally I find most of the Etsy games to be a waste of time.
0 Likes

annoying
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I did a few when I first opened to try and get some added exposure. No one ever purchased from me so I consider it a waste of time and energy. I would consider other ways to promote your shop that reach your target audience - on and off Etsy.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

You aren't making money if you are spending it at the same time... so no, I wouldn't take part. The few that I'd seen were a very random collection of items anyone. Its hard to find a BNR that interests my personal style.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Never tried them, they do not fit into my marketing plan.
0 Likes

BNRs and BNSs have their place.
First of all they are fun and they are a game.

Secondly they can be useful to a new store that needs a few sales for the sake of credibility. That is what I used them for. Those few sales and very kind feed back comments made me less scary to real customers who wondered if their pieces would get to them unbroken. As a potter on the web they were quite useful to me.

I do not use them now because as someone pointed out they don't really generate income. The best one can hope for with them is a zero sum game or a draw.
0 Likes

I don't believe in that kind of 'store credibility'.

Excellent products, great presentation, eye for details in running their shop and great customer service is what will make me buy. Not the number of previous sales. I don't care if a shop hasn't sold anything yet. I'd gladly be their first customer.
(And we all know that most first sales are from sisters, mothers and best friends....)
0 Likes

so, no positive feedback on bnr/bns? no great success stories? :)
i started to participate in one bns on other team, your feedback is very valuable, thanks everyone!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I never liked the idea of promoting to other sellers within Etsy in any way. Like others have said, buying and selling this way CAN be fun but a waste of time and energy and money in terms of building a business.

Recently though, I tried a BNR that is run by a very large and active team and I have had success in making sales as well as more exposure for my shop. I have used this same BNR a few times since then and have been happy with the sales and increased exposure. Finding a BNR or BNS that really does work in some way to help your business is hard, though.

0 Likes

BNR/Ss can be helpful if they match your goals. When I first started out my sales were very small, but I noticed that they increased as I was involved in several BNR's, even getting sales outside of the BNR. But for me, those did not generate regular customers. I then started getting involved in BNS's and found a small nitche market. Right now I am involved with 1 or 2 BNS's only because they usually have people on the treasuries that have items that I need for my branding, so it makes it profitable for me to be involved. Some times I don't have any sales, and sometimes I may get 4 sales out of a BNS. Personally, I think it depends on the products you sell, and the products you purchase and if they are worth it to you.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.