Former_Member
Not applicable

New product idea...input wanted.

So I got an idea for copper wrapped wine glasses... its not like what I normally sell nor like anything else I can find.

Love to know if these would be something you would buy....or at least admire....or if its just a dumb idea.

Please note these are rough drafts first i've done first electroforming I have done so...still learning how to lay the copper.
anyway...Input please!

Photos here https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.655069104560728.1073741829.228023157265327&type=1

Thank you for time and input.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
15 Replies

Re: New product idea...input wanted.

Definitely beautiful and unique..probably not drink safe therefore it wouldn't be a practical wine glass, more of a 'look at' wine glass.

Also how sturdy is the copper? I've done some research on electroforming and from my understanding the copper has to 'grab' edges or else it can easily be lifted off.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Fairly sturdy...its pretty thick on there. Not worried about these coming off. I did do a wine bottle with more of scroll work pattern...and that just totally flaked off. Got to have that more solid area, plus the leaves and starfish are glued to the glass and then encased in the conductive paint so that would help secure it to.

0 Likes

They are beautiful, hard to tell without holding in my hand. How comfortable are they for actual use - or lips touching - any rough edges? I get that this is a prototype, but those would be my questions - good Luck!
0 Likes

Could you try doing one that didn't come into close contact with the top lip? I'm still wondering about being drink safe. I wouldn't want a piece of copper coming off on my lip when drinking.
0 Likes

Those are super cool! And if you leave them unsealed then the colors will be amazing. Just have to keep the copper off the lip area to be really practical.
0 Likes

They are interesting and perhaps would be great for Weddings.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Beautiful to look at. I can see these as home decor items. Can these glasses be used to drink from?
0 Likes

Mary, as long as the copper is only on the outside and only glass touches the liquid and lips there should be no problem. Just like copper cookware is usually lined in steel or aluminum.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Copper is on the outside...and I did leave plenty of room on the other side of them that has no copper at all.
0 Likes

Not sure on the practical side of using and cleaning, but I do think this is a beautiful idea!
0 Likes

As nice as they are you're combining a heavy metal and wine. Unless it is not really copper. If it is copper; it would be possible to poison them if any material came in contact with the wine over a long period.

Is there a way when making to put the copper between two layers of glass? Sort of a drinkable paperweight or making a wine glass from a paperweight depending on your view :)

That way you are safe. The reason I mention it is about a year ago some actor said he got mercury poisoning from too much sushi. I believe he got a doctor to agree. Wouldn't want to see some person who is looking for a lawsuit to try and hold you responsible for their problems.
0 Likes

From wikipedia: "As verdigris consists of various poisonous copper compounds, one should always wash one's hands after handling.[4]"
citation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verdigris .
0 Likes
weekendjewelry1
Conversation Maker

I think it's an intriguing idea - but also that customers would shy away because of the potential dangers. How about trying the same techniques with pieces intended just for decoration? Trinket boxes, or possibly vases (outside only of course). The beauty - without the hazards.
0 Likes
HopeAndGracePens
Inspiration Seeker

Anything new is intriguing and I haven't seen anything like it. Does the copper shine up? Can you polish it? That may put a final touch on these to put them over the top.
0 Likes

They are a really cool idea and will look great with a red wine
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.