Former_Member
Not applicable

Need advice on customer claim

Hi,

A customer contacted me for a rush $70 handmade order. I made it in half day and sent it.

I am from Nicaragua and the package is in Miami. Never got to my client's house; so she wants a refund. The situation is unfair for both of us. The client is very nice.

What do you advice to me to solve this the best way.

Thanks in advanced
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
10 Replies
StuckOnSilver
Inspiration Seeker

Re: Need advice on customer claim

Ouch! Two questions: 1. was the word "Custom" in the title and 2. was there any tracking with this order.
0 Likes
Graciosa
Conversation Maker

Hi Violeta,
This has happened to me a couple times. The packages get stopped at customs for some days.
Tell the customer to please call USPS herself to ask about the package. That usually helps and USPS releases it and delivers it.
(It seems like sometimes they just forget about it and leave it laying around! Aarghhh!!!)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Well, It wasn't a custom order. But I is a made to order product. She needed it in two weeks and I made it very fast so she can get it on time. It was a cake topper for her sons birthday :(

In Nicaragua we don't have tracking number for inside our country, but once it gets to the US, you can track it with the number I provide. The thing is that the package got to Miami and is stuck there since August 31st.

So even if the USPS sends it, she doesn't want it. the birthday party was on september 5th.

What should I do?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

IF she does not receive the package at all, or returns it to you with shipping at her own expense I would offer a partial refund, OR offer a generous (30~50%) discount on a future order.
IF she did actually receive the package, just later than anticipated, and decides to keep it I WOULD NOT offer her a refund because she did get her item, and you did put your time and resources into making it. However, to appease the situation, I would offer her a smaller (10~15%) discount on any future order for her inconvenience.
Since this situation is unfair from both perspectives, a compromise to meet in the middle would be the best course of action, if possible.
0 Likes

It's not your fault and it's not her fault, but as the business owner I think the responsibility needs to be yours.

I have had packages lost and even though it wasn't my fault I have always replaced the items. I think I would offer a refund or at least refund 50% of what she paid. I wouldn't offer a discount on a future purchase instead of a refund because I personally don't like it when a business does that to me. It means in order for me to get compensated I have to make another purchase.

You could also ask her if there is anything else she would like from your shop and send it to her at no charge. If she doesn't want anything else then I would refund her money.

She can also leave negative feedback if you don't try to make it right.

Good luck!

0 Likes
Graciosa
Conversation Maker

Oh! In that case I would give her the refund, because she didn't receive her order!

Hopefuly the insurance has you covered, and they will pay you after filing the complaint at your local post office.

0 Likes

I've had this happen. Have her refuse it when she finally receives it and it will send it back to you. Once you get it, refund her. It is what I do for my customers for the same situations.
0 Likes
StuckOnSilver
Inspiration Seeker

IMO when you get the item back, issue a full refund. Good luck!!
0 Likes

As Kristen says, it is very important to get the customer to refuse the parcel when it arrives so that it comes back to you. Once it arrives back then give a full refund. It wasn't your fault but it is not the customer's either and it is far better to make a customer than to make a sale.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thank you all so much, It has been great advices, very helpful.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.