Lots of views and faves but no orders!

I've listed a whole bunch of new things in the past 2-3 weeks and i thought this would give my store more visibility, and therefore more sales. Well, I definitely am getting views (about 100 per day) and favorites but only one order since i've listed all this new stuff.

is June just not a big month for buying clothing, or something? it sucks!

i still have plenty of work to do on my store as far as photos and titles/ SEO, but argh. still, it is a little frustrating to feel i've put so much work into in the past few weeks and still not much as far as sales go.

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
23 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Lots of views and faves but no orders!

Things do seem to be slow right now and while it is hard to be patient you need to be. You are actively working on your store which is good, I would suggest having summer items in your four featured spots.
0 Likes
PSPendants
Inspiration Seeker

Hi Brook, same here! I've been ramping up my shop adding a few listings every couple of days. I don't like to do it all at once since I don't want them expiring all at once! I also get tons of views and favs, but not much in the way of sales. I have tried being more active on social media, but I think there is just so much out there, it's hard to stand out.
0 Likes

Thanks Kristen & Jan. I am selling at a market this weekend so hopefully I make some money there! Good luck to you both!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

According to Google Adwords Keyword Planner, June is the slowest month of the year for most keyword searches, including vintage clothing. You can look forward to September and October which are 4 times more popular with shoppers looking for vintage clothes.

You could still be getting a lot more views by add a few general keywords to the beginning of the shop title. Doing this works both in Etsy searches and Google searches. Shoppers don't always have a certain garment they wan to buy, only the era they are interested in. Adding a general keyword will bring up your listings in searches using exactly those words, such as, "70s clothes" and this will bring you a lot more views.

Here is a very short list of keywords I found on Google Adwords Keyword Planner. The number on the right is the average number of searches each month using exactly those keywords:

60s clothes 1000
60s clothing 1600
70s blouse 50
70s clothes 4400
70s clothing 1600
70s top 20
80s clothes 5400
80s clothing 8100
80s fashion 40500
90s clothing 2900
retro clothing 3600
vintage clothes 4400
vintage clothing 49500

For this listing, for example:
"60s 70s Boho Top Embroidered Hippie Shirt Festival Fashion Lightweight Cotton Colorful Flowers Floral Spring Summer Top Womens Medium Large"

Add the words, "70s Clothes" to the beginning of the listing title, followed by the rest of the words, like this,
"70s Clothes / 60s 70s Boho Top Embroidered Hippie Shirt Festival Fashion Lightweight Cotton Colorful Flowers Floral Spring Summer Top Womens Medium Large"

"Add words like "70s clothes", "60s clothes", "80s clothes" etc, to every listing and you will see a big increase in views in your shop over the next few weeks. GUARANTEED!

0 Likes

HI Mary! Thank you SO MUCH! You are awesome! I will try out your suggestion. Someday I hope to be an SEO guru like you. :)
0 Likes

Wow! I didn't know there is a way to search up on data like that. Awesome!
0 Likes

0 Likes

Do you have any suggestions for jewelry artists? I really like your suggestions about the keywords.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Yeah, I'm in this boat right now too. I'm just working on new products to get ready for the holiday season.... can never get enough planning and follow through work going!
0 Likes

I really like your shop. You've taken a lot of time to get exact measurements and good descriptions. Photos are awesome! It's just a matter of time before people start buying again. So many shops selling vintage clothing don't give good measurements or pictures so you are ahead of the competition!
0 Likes

Thank you for this awesome thread, I am in the same boat as so many of you and reading the comments has really educated me. I make Handmade Soaps as well as other Bath and Body Care products. This thread has given me additional insight on what I need to update!
0 Likes

Thank you Lori! :) I like your stuff too!

Kristina I just ordered one of your soaps because I'm kind of obsessed with honeysuckle. Haha
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I've been trying for more than 2 years to get my shop going but sales are sparse I get most of my views from twitter. I've tried facebook but I really don't know what I'm doing there and get no views. Their must be another SEO I can use that would work better. I keep doing the same thing and expecting a different result. It truly is the definition of insanity and I have to figure out a new strategy. Help. deb
0 Likes

Hello Brook, same here! I am still new but no sales yet!
I have been working on some new more summer looking and colorful items that i will post soon! Hope they have a better luck!
Love your items, specially the 70's vintage clothing!
Good luck and happy sales!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I would suggest to use a mannequin, not every body has the same type of body so you are rounding your clothing to a specific body type, at least this is what i perceived when I went into your store, take in mind that A lot of your clientele is people who work in etsy, so a lot of us have a couple of extra luv lol,,(for working so much on line) a mannequin would provide a wider range of consideration to buy, I've learned the hard way that not all people like to buy worn clothes, even if the item is used, they don't buy recently worn items, they would prefer a clean freshly washed item. Go up to the 200 Items.
0 Likes

Hey Monica, I definitely hear what you are saying! I do have some items on a mannequin (see below) but i feel like these photos lack personality and interest. I have sold more items that are worn by a model than i have items that are worn by a mannequin. I actually have two dresses that are every similar, one on a model and one on a mannequin, and the one on the model has gotten more views and favorites. I may try to experiment with this though, and make a few duplicate listings of the same item on a model and on a mannequin to see if there is one preference over another among my potential customers.

I would like to get into having more plus size items, but I've had a hard time finding cute plus size vintage clothing. :/

https://www.etsy.com/listing/214591444/80s-clothes-80s-dior-jacket-vintage?ref=shop_home_active_24

https://www.etsy.com/listing/216495960/80s-clothes-80s-cheerleader-sweater?ref=shop_home_active_17

https://www.etsy.com/listing/216496094/90s-clothes-vintage-1990s-black-and?ref=shop_home_active_14
0 Likes

Great advice Mary. I am in a total slump at the minute despite working on Etsy practically every spare moment, adding listings, tweaking listings. I'm in a bit of a panic to be honest!
0 Likes

Yep, sales are rather too slow..
0 Likes

I got one sale! It was something that was 50% off though. better than nothing i suppose!
0 Likes

I just listed a bunch of new stuff too. My views and faves went from non exsistant to over 150 faves a day. No orders. I almost had a nibble yesterday
0 Likes

i got two more orders since i last posted in this thread! yay! i'm going to work on photos this weekend.
0 Likes

A lot of people are not doing that well right now
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hi Brook,

Congratulations on your sales so far! On the live model vs. mannequin issue, have you considered using pics of the item on a live model plus 1 or 2 pics on a mannequin in the same listing?

We struggle with being found too. I know SEO optimization is vital in that. I've been researching it lately, and found this thread in Etsy Forums: "Do I suck at tagging?" It had some good info. Rhonda from TreetopWoodworks also sells an SEO guide that we plan on buying.

Good luck to you and happy sales,
Sandi
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.