Former_Member
Not applicable

Looking for an Etsy Mentor

Hello,

I am just now celebrating my 1 year anniversary on Etsy and as I am losing my full-time job next month, I am ready to take the plunge into devoting myself to my shop 100% and making it be able to support me financially.

I did pretty well for my first year out selling around $10,000 worth of stock. Not bad for not having taken advantage of any marketing or advertising besides Tweeting, Facebooking and blogging. But I need to increase that several times if I am going to survive.

I would be thrilled if you would be willing to take a look at my shop and give me any tips you might have. Is my pricing where it should be? Should I be renewing my items more often? Should I pay to have a banner/avatar made?

If you could share any of the steps you have taken to make your shop a success I would be forever in your debt. As a person just about to turn 30 and excited to finally be able to work my dream job of selling vintage items, I just need a little guidance from someone established to make this dream come true.

Thanks,

Ian Kennedy
kennedystyle.tumblr.com/
www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Kennedy-Handmade-and-Vintage/135318029845508
@kennedyhandmade on twitter.com
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
4 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Looking for an Etsy Mentor

Hi

I wish you good luck with your quest.

How about making your own banner. I did one last weekend and I'm no techno.

If you type 'make etsy banner' into you tube there's a tutorial on there and you just need the free download gimp to do it.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I'd work with the banner too. How about a Navaho blanket design in the background and the font needs to be played with too. Give the viewer a colorful snapshot of what is in your shop. I had no idea what you carried until I read your profile. You want to catch their eye and bring them in .Good luck.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I'm by no means an expert, but here's a few thoughts as just an observer/shopper/vintage lover:

Your collections are incredible & I think a more than fair price, maybe some could be priced higher
I love reading the stories about your items, making them all that more attractive

Your photos are great, but if you want to take your business to the next level, your photos need to go to the next level, too -- surf around other Etsy shops to see what really stands out as stellar.
I like seeing the rings on people's hands in the gardens, tho sometimes I find the rose maybe overpowers the ring
Here's a great tutorial for making professional looking shots with minimal cost:
http://www.handmadeology.com/studio-quality-product-photography-with-a-12-set-up/#comments

As already mentioned, it's imperative that you ensure ALL Google searches are pointing directly to your shop, blog & website -- you can do all you want with your shop, photos, etc, but if people can't find you it's a bit unproductive

Love your blog & the great photos/stories ~ it, too, just needs to go to the next level; more polishing and ALL Google searches pointing to it
Please add the Etsy app to your blog so your shop is also embedded in your blog

If you want to be in serious business you'll need a polished, professional looking website with ALL possible Google searches going straight to your site (there's websites & then there's EFFECTIVE websites)
All the best to you ~ I look forward to hearing about your progess ~ I know that very exciting things are in store for you!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thank you all for your tips and advice.

I very much appreciate your time and energy.

I will start with the banner and I have already started on fixing my tags and descriptions for Google searches.

Thanks again!
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.