Is etsy a good fit for selling fine art?

(I had a difficult time phrasing the question for this thread because fine art can be such a subjective highbrow term.)

I've noticed that a lot of the artwork (ceramics,photography,painting,etc.) featured and sold on etsy is of a more decorative or home decor type nature. I'd like to hear from artists who sell more conceptual or cerebral artwork...

Have you found etsy to be a successful marketplace for you work, being able to target the sorts of customers who will collect your work? Do you sell mass produced images of your work on etsy and the originals elsewhere? Are there other websites you feel that are better suited to sell artwork?

I currently handcraft necklaces and other home decor but my real passion is painting. I've started to consider selling some of my paintings on my etsy shop but I'm not convinced yet that it is the best place to market them...

Thank you in advance for your feedback!

Lydia
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
16 Replies

Re: Is etsy a good fit for selling fine art?

I have a second shop which is fine arts & photograph and the best sellers are original ACEOs. Apart from that I think Etsy is a difficult placeto buy fine arts, it's difficult to choose a painting over the internet.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I am sort of a jack-of-all-media, but like you, "fine" art is my favorite. I have sold several drawings on Etsy, mostly within the $50 and under price range. I have sold a few pieces (two sculpture and one drawing) in a higher price range, but as i don't mass-copy my work, I typically satisfy myself with selling small pieces.

It does seem that decorative and mass-produced works sell the best, but there is a market on Etsy for well-made, unique and original work. Like any forum for selling fine art, it probably won't move as quickly as things that can be worn or sold for ten dollars, but i think it is worth photographing and posting! I haven't found a good way to sell art on the internet, so I would also be interested to hear what other resources people use.
0 Likes

most of my work isn't conceptual per se', but I do make a living as an artist, and most of my sales are online. And for me, that is many types of sales -- gift purchases, commissions, corporate artwork, you name it. Everything from small $25 pieces to $10,000 -- all online.

The key is to present your work well, and build a connection to your buyer. Whether that is building the trust necessary for commission work, or getting people engaged in the story behind what you do. Social media can be a great tool to building those connections, as can a blog, newsletter, etc. Look past Etsy and think about who you are marketing to and how to best connect with, and communicate to, them. Etsy is just a selling platform.
0 Likes

Beautiful work Chris. But then you have a very unique niche. I guess that's definitely needed to sell well on the internet.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

This is something I have been wondering as well. The only time I have sold originals themselves was through contacts I had prior to etsy, collectors or what not.
I dont usually bother posting the originals on here to be honest.
However, I would really like to know more about the print culture on here.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I don't know if its a good venue or not, but I've purchased a number of pieces of original art from Etsy artists.

I like the fact that I can find truly original artwork from around the world and get something that isn't going to be a print.
0 Likes

I have some original art quilts. So far I have sold a few of my more expensive pieces. What harm would it do to test the market for a half a year and post them to see. You never know who is searching for an original piece of art.
0 Likes

I agree with Anne Londez that the best sellers from arts are original ACEOs.That's so maybe because they are so cute arts and their price is not very high.
0 Likes

From what I read, it is a tough market, for all the above reasons. But hey, it's only $0.20 to list, plus the time to photograph and create...so it's probably worthwhile to try. I also think it's good to have different price points in your shop, and showcase the different pieces you make.
0 Likes

Yes it's a pretty tough market for fine arts here and everywhere else, I think!
I started listing my work a year ago, and have sold an equal number of originals and prints, and also some other painted items, but none of my ACEOs have sold yet. I sold a large painting to a woman who said she had searched for two years for the right painting to put over her fireplace. So you never know. I guess I've done pretty well for my first year but would love to do better in my second year. I'm happy to be here.
0 Likes
rhodyart
Registered Buyer

Speaking of ACEOs, what's an appropriate price? I have seen prices ranging from $5 to $45 (for a small painting). Believe it or not I asked this question on an art group and was reprimanded by the team leader and the thread was closed. I don't have ACEOs in my shop presently, am considering adding them, but I don't want to price too outrageously or too cheaply.
I haven't yet sold any of my actual art pieces but I do sell art cards and magnets. People seem to like having little pieces like that and they're good for impulse buying
0 Likes

My husband and I both make our living as painters. Last year I put a few pictures in my Etsy shop (which is primarily jewelry) and they were basically dead in the water. They got a lot of favorites and inclusion in treasuries, so I suspect they helped bring people into my shop...but there wasn't a ripple of buying activity. They have since sold elsewhere through my regular channels.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is an ACEO? I presume it's a print. Could somebody enlighten me?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

There is original art work here on etsy and I have seen that it does well.
Many international artisan's shops are blowing up with sales.

Some 2-D painter make prints from the originals and sale them in their shop.

The sky's the limit.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

BTW is anybody making ACEO prints? If so where do you order them?
0 Likes
rhodyart
Registered Buyer

ACEOs are actually artist trading cards but made for sale. They're the traditional baseball card size. There is such a wide variation in price that I really can't get a good handle on what an appropriate price would be. As I said, one painter sells hers for $45, and I found another today who sells hers for $25. Most, though, are well under those prices.
0 Likes

I just sell my ACEOs for a price I think is worth the time I spent to make them. Since some of the ones I make take literally a few hours to finish, I sell those for more, and the ones that take me 15-20 minutes I sell for less. I don't sell ACEO prints, though, because idk where to get them printed that small, but if I did I'd sell them for like $5.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.