International Shipping using Etsy shipping labels

When I opened my shop earlier this year I signed up for international shipping and have been mailing to everywhere from California using Etsy shipping labels, which I love. But every time I get an international order, I just hold my breath and hope it gets there...and so far they all have. I would really like to feel more confident about this process.

When I print my Etsy label it has the customs info printed right on it and I just have to give a description of the item, which I really am not sure how detailed that should be so would appreciate an example...should it be "a stuffed toy" or "a collectible Beanie Baby plush dog"...which is recommended?

Am I suppose to attach anything else to the outside of the package such as a packing slip? If so, where do I get those clear sleeves?

Another thing I'm wondering is if there is a less expensive way to ship internationally? For instance, a 10 oz. package costs me about $13.00 to ship USPS first class international to the UK, Taiwan, Austria, etc...amazing to me that customers pay that.

I've noticed when I'm shopping on Etsy that international shops don't charge nearly that much to ship here...also wondering if I place an order from an oversees Etsy shop, are there customs or duty fees that I would have to pay in the US?

I feel like I'm just winging it and am hoping someone has a lot more experience with international orders and can either reassure me or give me some helpful tips so I don't end up eating it on one of my international orders.

Thank you team in advance for any help you can offer.
<3 Jewel
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
10 Replies

Re: International Shipping using Etsy shipping labels

I ship international often and always print the labels through Etsy. Tracking is now available all the way to the destination for pretty much everywhere. You can also add insurance if you'd rather not have to replace the item- it's pretty inexpensive.

I usually mark my items as "clothing item" or "gift item", I don't think they usually need the absolute specifics. There are some things that are not allowed to be shipped to certain nations (no jewelry to Italy, that kind of thing).

Canada is usually a lot cheaper than other destinations, so I pull that destination out and then have an 'everywhere else' option . I usually base my 'everywhere else' shipping rate on shipping to New Zealand- which I've found to be the most expensive destination.

If you print the labels on Etsy and only one page prints out, that's all you need. If it prints out 4 copies you need to attach all of them to the package in the clear plastic sleeve. You can pick them up at your local PO for free, or order them from USPS.com for free as well.

The US is a very 'import-friendly' nation so I think that postage prices are often much less expensive coming to the US, than what we have to pay to ship internationally. We also have a very high threshold for duty tax here, so I've ordered items that cost hundreds of dollars from overseas and have never paid duty fees. The UK has a very low threshold, so pretty much everyone has to pay a duty fee there, and the packages are always held up for the UK.

The USPS also changes it's rate annually, so make sure you check and stay on top of that ever changing information.
1 Like

Thanks Joanne for your detailed explanation! I never knew that shipping to the US is cheaper than from the US, and no Jewelry to Italy.
I too have shipped to all continents (one is on the way to Arctic Circle. How exciting) with just Etsy one page print out. I put "Baby Clothes" for all items. Jewel, I think both of your descriptions are fine. Knock on wood, all items have been delivered without problem.

Amy
1 Like
StuckOnSilver
Inspiration Seeker

Joanne, "gift item" may be construed by postal and tax staff to be a gift rather than merchandise. We can't send merchandise and declare it as a gift. I put "sterling silver ring" and "pair of sterling silver earrings" etc.
Bev
1 Like

Thank you so much Joanne for your detailed information and for answering all of my questions. Now I have a lot more info to help me tweak my Etsy shipping policies and I can relax much better when shipping international orders. I'll be ordering my plastic sleeves from USPS right away so that I'm ready when they are needed.

And thanks Bev for clearing up the Gift item description on our merchandise. I always respect your opinions when I read all these threads.

Blessings to you...
<3 Jewel
1 Like

No jewelry to Italy??? That is something new to me. Does anyone know why?

Jewel, I put "earrings", "necklace", "bracelet", etc. That's as detailed as I get.

@Joanne, do you get your tracking through USPS or from somewhere else? Or do you ship priority? USPS told me that they are only tracking first class packages in Canada and Mexico. Other countries will track until the package leaves the US. All of my international tracking numbers (except to Canada) will show tracking up to "departed Los Angeles" and then that's it.
0 Likes

It's best to always include an invoice on the outside of the package. I know Germany will hold packages without packing slips on the outside hostage until the recipient comes to the post office. I always write "packing slip enclosed" on the shipping label so they know to look for it in the plastic sleeve.

USPS has a comprehensive guide on what is/isn't allowed for each country on their website.

The post office has told me that the tracking available for first class international is not really tracking. They openly admit that they are not required to scan them at any point - domestically, or internationally. If you need real tracking you must use their priority services.
1 Like

Thank you so much Amy and Joanne for sharing your experiences and opinions on international shipping...that really helps.
Blessings to you,
<3 Jewel
1 Like

That's what I was told about international tracking too Joanne. They said they are starting with tracking first class packages through Canada and Mexico and they want to expand to other countries eventually. But they did say it's still up to the other country to scan the package and that doesn't always happen.
1 Like
Former_Member
Not applicable

I've been shipping internationally for over 20 years now and nothing much has changed over the years.

When using Etsy labels, the single page label is for USPS 1st class international which covers everything under 4 lbs.

The 4 page label is for Priority International packages and 3 pages go in the plastic USPS envelope and the 4th copy is the sender's (your) copy. If you don't have a USPS plastic envelope handy, a zip lock bag will work in a pinch.

As far as descriptions go I keep it simple. In your example I would simply write 'stuffed toy'. It gives the information needed but not enough information to entice someone along the way to steal the contents.

True 'jewellery' cannot be shipped to Italy (just as clothing, shoes, purses, etc cannot be shipped either) but most of the 'jewellery' on Etsy doesn't fall under the Post Office's definition of Jewellery. You can send 'costume jewellery' to Italy (and many other countries including Canada) without any problem.
See section 134.2 -e http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/immc1_013.htm
1 Like

Great info Crochetgal...thank you for sharing such useful shipping tips. I love the Ziploc bag idea. I'm understanding international shipping so much better now and really appreciate your opinion on descriptions. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Blessings to you,
<3 Jewel
1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.