Former_Member
Not applicable

I am curious about selling at low prices for feedback purposes

(and generating much needed income of course)
Has anyone had the experience of selling really low in order to get feedback and jumpstart a shop?
I have read the advice of starting out with really low prices in an etsy success kit I bought awhile back as well as on blogs and in forum posts.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
36 Replies

Re: I am curious about selling at low prices for feedback purposes

Wow-you have a lovely shop! I wouldn't lower your prices! Your prices look perfect for the workmanship!

How are you currently promoting your shop?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

facebook, twitter, forums, blog, giveaway on a vintage blog, everywhere I can!
0 Likes

yeah I'm thinking about just giving all my merch away, since I have been renewing items for over three years with a fat 14 sales. And circle traffic, yeah what a joke. lol but good luck to you! don't give up! your paintings are nice.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I totally understand your thinking, but you might be undercutting yourself by selling low just to get a sale.

Lots of buyers on etsy are repeat buyers and word-of-mouth buyers, and they will be confused/upset if your prices fluctuate greatly.

Not to mention that getting sales does not guarantee feedback. I think we all get frustrated at times with buyers who don't leave positive feedback after a good buying experience.
0 Likes

It sounds like you are getting the word out there about your shop! Tonight is my first time!
0 Likes

rbdesign brings up some good points. Fluctuating prices might not be the best thing. If you want to try it though, it might help to make it known that it's a "Grand Opening" kind of thing. For example, you could set up coupon codes for a discount or for free shipping, and advertise them on a blog for a limited time. That way, people may be more willing to take a chance on buying from you, but they will still see your real prices when they go to your shop.

Also, if all your prices are super super low, you might not be attracting the kind of customer who appreciates your talent and your hard work anyway. If your customer is really hard to please, you might not get good feedback no matter what you do. Hopefully that's a rare occurrence though!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I think it is great to have a selection of prices but lowering for the sake of having items priced low is not the way to do it.
I am not sure about your bags as I do not sew but with your fine art I would suggest looking into prints and other gift style items ie bookmarks, pocket mirrors etc.
Most artists on here get most sales from prints etc not so much their originals (although that can still be done as there are artists that do sell only originals)
You could also try painting ACEOs and OSWOAs for smaller art that could be more affordable yet still originals.
you have an amazing shop.
0 Likes

I'm with Faerie - instead of reducing your price on original art, offering a wider selection of art such as cards, bookmarks, etc.. Wishing you best of luck - you're a very talented artist :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Less than a quarter of my sales have left feedback so I wouldn't count on getting any. And then you have sold your items at low prices for nothing.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I tried seling my items for a really low price for awhile and it didnt help sales at all. Got alot of lookers but no buyers yet, I've raised them back up again since then, also alot of people told me that selling too low can make your work seem cheaper, so its best to sell it for what it's really worth, and with all your hard work and time and effort, you dont want to sell yourself too short. I learnt that myself as well.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Yes, i agree, only about half of people have left feedback but a lot of my buyers are new to etsy too. Or I am their first sale.

I do like the opening sale coupon code though- great idea!
0 Likes
ShopTaylourMade
Inspiration Seeker

I'm thinking about it and I have put my work on Heartsy to accomplish this. I'm looking at it like advertising to bring traffic to my shop. I don't know how this is going to work out for me but will see.
so if you could please vote for me I would greatly appreciate it =)

http://heartsy.me/deals/1790/like

and if I get on this I will let you know how it works out.
Thank you =)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I jumpstarted my sales by selling items at cost...and sometimes even below. It wasn't completely on purpose but it did help me greatly. Once I got my first sale, others just started coming in. I raised my prices over a four month period....but In tose 4 months I ended up tripling, or in some cases even quadrupling my prices. I didn't have any complaints, and my sales are great now. Honestly, I don't think it's a bad idea in the beginning. Buyers are wary to buy from people with limited feedback and a lower price can put their mind at ease.
My average sale is around $350-$450 now, but I don't think there would have been many people willing to pay that much to me in the very beginning.

I say go for it, but don't be afraid to drastically increase your prices down the road. You have to start somewhere, but nice you have some feedback, price items at their value. If anyone gives you a hard time about pricing you could always say you have learned the true value of your work and the time it takes to create your items by hand.

Another way to get sales is to participate in PIF listings. (pay it forward). The whole idea is to buy something at a low cost in order to leave feedback for another seller.

Good luck!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Too bad there wasn't a "send feedback reminder" option like on ebay. On there when people forget and you send them that they respond with feedback. Only 1 out of 40 on there hasn't left feedback.
0 Likes

Great thread! I've been considering selling low to jumpstart my new shop, but now, I don't think I will. I've been getting professional pictures, getting a banner ready, etc. I'd really like to look high-end and not cheap.
0 Likes

ElizabethCaffey:

Maybe you could offer some cheaper things, along the ones you're already selling? ACEOs? Small accessories?

I love your shop and your items, but most people can't really afford $1000 for a painting, even though I think the price is fair. So maybe you could offer some prints or pendants/brooches with your artwork?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I've just started selling and most of my few purchases have come from people new to Etsy. They all tell me that my prices are too low, but I really don't think so. I mean I know how much it cost me in materials and I really don't worry so much about my own time right now because I love doing this. :0)

But I did network heavily with coworkers, friends, and suppliers when I opened my shop. I also have an outside website for no other reason than to provide an external link to my shop here, and I did order business cards from Vistaprint.

Some of my friends and suppliers have been so great about passing the word to their friends, tweeting and posting on their Facebook pages without me even asking. So I really think it's the networking that's worked the best for me so far. I've not been open a week yet and have six sales for a total of eight pieces.

I really hope you are able to attract a good consistent market to your shop. :0)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I agree with others dont sell stuff for cheap to get your name out. I have done it and it was not worth it:

I made a giant alpaca scarf via custom order and sold it for materials only. They just had to go on etsy, buy it via etsy for 21 cents and leave feedback. guess what? they never did, and they complained about the price of materials!

finally i delisted the item and learned my lesson. Sell items at fair market value only, when you sell it for less, the buyer thinks its worth less and doesnt value your true work.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Wow, KC! That's awful! You did someone a really nice turn and had that happen to you. :hug:
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I am not selling so low it as at materials only. I had a lot of lining fabrics that were given to me by my mother who sews. I bought the exterior fabrics and handles/ purse frames. So even at a discount I will get at least something even if it is not really paying me as much for my time as would be ideal. However, It is my only source of income at the moment and would be worth it I think to at least be able to pay some bills.
I think it is different if someone is doing it outside of their main source of income and mainly for the joy of it.
I do want to sell some smaller works, in the past I did 8x10 in paintings and sold them between 100-150 on ebay.
It is hard for me to paint that small though and have the same type of painting.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I am hoping to do prints though when I can afford to have them made
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Someone suggested selling bags with my art on them, I have sold tote bags, and I just added this clutch
http://www.etsy.com/listing/72309377/oil-painting-on-a-clutch-with-antique#
0 Likes
HopscotchCouture
Inspiration Seeker

I sell fine art, bags and jewelry. The purses and jewelry do just fine. My art sells in galleries not on etsy. All of my feedback has been due to customer service. I ship very fast, put a thank you card in every package. Often I will give a gift as well. A vintage brooch or something small. Everyone loves a little gift. The shipping fast has been the most commented on in feedback. No one mentions my prices. I find if a piece is sitting for a while I might take a little bit off and see how it goes. Also, I will give a repeat customer a 20-25% off coupon for next purchase.

I just think it is so hard as an artist to get paid for all that went into each piece. So many undersell themselves.

Your work is just beautiful. I am adding you to my favorites.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I was told that my Jewelry Designs are sold too low. I am having trouble with this as well on whether or not to raise my prices and when to start raising my prices. I slowly raised some of my designs by $1 and I still get sales on those items, so it makes me wonder if I should raise it even more to where I think I should sell it for because of the labor I spend on them. This is tough because there is always that fear of losing repeat customers.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.