I Need Your Help Again...Please

After much thought, and following the advice of Team members, I am now going to sell in this shop some of the beads and findings I purchased to make my jewelry. I changed the name of my other jewelry shop and will sell all my handmade jewelry there.

I hope that in the near future I can buy a better camera, but in the meantime I only have a point-and-shoot camera. I like a plain background, preferably white, but I think my photos are blah and my backgrounds are always grey (I use Pickmonkey to photoshop). I do not like fotofuze (sp?). So, I decided to photograph my items using a background.

Would you check my store and tell me if the photographs with a background (doily) are too busy? Should I continue to use the grey background?

Thank you for any help or ideas you might offer.

Here is a link to my shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/MariasWorkshop
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
14 Replies

Re: I Need Your Help Again...Please

Hi Maria! I think your photos are good... crisp, bright colors, good focus! I like the plain white background a bit better than the doily. I think while the doily adds contrast, it is a bit busy. Best of luck in your second shop!
0 Likes

I also think that the doily, although pretty, is a bit busy. Personally, I don't mind the grey background as it adds a tiny bit of color against the white all around your photos.

I do think you should try and center some of your photos and add a bit of a gap between your items and the border of your photos. You might be able to do this by adjusting the photo (at least the main one) by clicking on 'Adjust thumbnail' when you Edit your listings.
0 Likes

I added two more different, less busy, backgrounds and put all four examples on the first line of icons, so you do not have to go all over the place.

Thank you so much Anne and Minerva for your comments. They are of great help.

Minerva, I once read an article regarding photographs that stated that to make your items jump at the viewer, it was a good idea bring them closer to the bottom edge of the photo. That is what I have been doing. Ha! I never liked it too much and I am glad you pointed that out. I will center my items from now on. Thanks.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I like your backgrounds and how they are consistent but at the same time have variety! Good job.
0 Likes

Thank you so much Alicia.

Thanks to all that responded. It is always good to have different views and opinions. I will rework my photos and, to break the monotony, maybe I will use a different background (not as busy as the doily) from time to time.

Thanks again. Much appreciated.
0 Likes

0 Likes

Thank you Fishcouple! Yes, it does help.
0 Likes
HoneyThistle
Inspiration Seeker

Hi Maria, I like the lighting in this pic the best (out of the 4 featured up top):

https://www.etsy.com/listing/263861539/vintage-german-16x8mm-blue-drops-smooth

But I do prefer the clean white/grey background in some of your other listings, so if there's some way to combine the 2, that would look best. I find mid-dark grey cardstock to be great to photograph on, and it's easier to capture the true colour of your item on there vs on pure white. Not sure exactly what the reason is, but there's probably an article out there that explains this in more detail...
0 Likes

Thank you so much Wei. I discovered that when I place the items on top of cloth, etc., other than white card stock or foam, the color of the item shows better. I guess it has something to do with light absorption. That is why I was trying the doilies. After the comments I have received here, I can see now that the doilies are too busy and distracting for a background.

I never thought about using a grey card stock because I was precisely trying to get rid of the grey. Great idea! I will experiment with grey card stock! I guess "if you cannot beat them, join them" applies here.

Thanks again to all for your great help.
0 Likes

Take the pics a little farther away. And nothing beats natural light! Try and take them outside. The natural light captures the facets of the beads and makes the colors truer. I don't know if your in a cold climate like me, but I put a little table right outside my sliding glass doors with a tile on it, so I can still stay inside, yet get the great light from outside on a sunny day. Make your backgrounds plain and a slightly darker color.
0 Likes

Heidi has a great idea. Use natural light with your items. Your photos are great but the natural light really is better when you are taking photos of jewelry.
I have decided to redo all my photos as well. They need to be updated and I prefer the toys to be taken in a scenery type photo shoot. I noticed that when I had the white back ground vs. the grass/gardens the ones taken outside in the grass and placed in different scenes sold more.

I guess it all depends on what you are selling and who the market is.
0 Likes

Thanks Heidi and Melissa.

I will apply your ideas.

I take my pictures by a window and do not use artificial light. The table where I set my items is about three feet from the window. Maybe that is a factor. Also, I tried taking pictures using my patio table and the pictures always came out blue because they reflected the sky. Perhaps I should try this again on a cloudy day.

I got lots of great ideas here. I am very appreciative, the more so because photographing my items has been a huge struggle for me - at one time it brought me to the point of tears (and I am a mature woman). I think I am doing much better now, but I feel I have a long, long way to go. You should have seen the photos I took when I first opened my shop.

Thank you all for your input.

P.S. Heidi, I am in Texas. I do have a little awning just outside my sliding door. I should use that spot. My camera is in my hand and I am ready to go experiment.

Thanks again Team.
0 Likes

I just added the new photos I took of the first four items that show on my shop's first page (changed just the first photo). I would like to report, just in case it may help somebody else. Here is what I did.

1. As Minerva suggested, I centered the photos.
2. I did not have grey cardstock on hand, so I used a crème color basketweave cardstock. Like Wei, I think I prefer the grey and will purchase it today.
3. Like Heidi mentioned, I went just outside my kitchen into the patio (has a small awning) to take pictures. Today is a very sunny day in my area. In my opinion, the pictures are slightly overexposed, but I can play with that later. I think this also has to do with the background, which will be grey for subsequent pictures.

So there you have it. I am excited and will continue refining my photos and I am very grateful for your input. I will now start re-taking pictures. Thankfully, I just have a few items listed in my shop.

Thanks again.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Oh my! After reading this I am concerned that my photos may be too busy. I have only had one item sale since I started over 1/2 a year ago.

Would you check my store and tell me if the photographs with the natural type backgrounds are too busy? Should I continue to use this type of background or make changes?

Thank you for any help or ideas you might offer.

Here is a link to my shop: www.etsy.com/shop/jewelsbycatshop
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.