Former_Member
Not applicable

How do I get things moving in my shop?

I am running out of ideas. I closed my shop last year with some sales and opened over 3 months and added all new items, changed photo's, ect and no luck in the sales department. I hear of people saying it's slow but really....I go to shows and sell there w/out a problem. I would love some realistic ways to help me.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
17 Replies

Re: How do I get things moving in my shop?

Would love to hear some great ideas here as well. Jewelry is such a competitive category, I'm finding it hard just to get seen by buyers.

You could try creating a coupon code and posting it at Etsysaver. Though I have to say I did that and it hasn't earned me any sales yet. Got some views though. I've also heard it's good to have at least 2 pages of items in order to get found. I'm working on that myself.
0 Likes
KriyaDesign
Inspiration Seeker

This may sound strange to you, the more things I put in the store, the more sales it gets. I can't guarantee it works for everyone though :-). Just last week, I don't have any sale at all on one of the day (Tuesday maybe). Then I said, oh well... then I went about making some more jewelry. I was so busy at that I forgot to eat my lunch. It was rare for me to forget about foods :-). Then the next day I have, 4 sales in a day. And trickling in 2 or 3 a day. Oh I also sell at another channels.

This happens one too many times that I begin to conclude... the more lay back I am about stuffs (aka going about my day, for me making jewelry), the easier for sales to happen. I don't know... hope this help. What do we know about making sales anyway! I'd say if it helps, sure why not. :-)

Of course, I continuously do my homework (and apply) on SEO and relevancy. I guess that helps too. Having discount/coupon code has never worked for me yet. Maybe that's the code I need to work on breaking :-). All the best
0 Likes

I'm not the best person to take an advise from, but what I've heard is that you could use other channels to promote your art. Try to look at these (from more experienced seller):

http://www.etsy.com/teams/5002/etsy-success/discuss/9072462/

Hope it will help, good luck!
Kathy
0 Likes
debbiewomack
Inspiration Seeker

I have done everything to make a sell, alot of lookers no sells. About ready to find some place to sell my dolls. I have spent money trying to get them out here and nothing.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I agree that having more items and renewing leads to more sales! Also, a lot of your items are holiday related, maybe you could branch out a little to bring in more viewers on your items. Hope this helps. I don't have many sales but tags, more items and renewing are all important!

This is my favorite. Very cool, Great work!

http://www.etsy.com/listing/78141464/flower-cuff-bracelet-shabby-chic-orange
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

It does seem that some strategies do work and they are an awful lot of work (even reading what success stories say it takes to be successful is a lot of work) but having your own business is more than a full time job - just hope it is a labor of love and you don't notice all the hours.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thank you for the tips!! I will try to add more items to my shops and let you know how it is going :)

I am trying in a few channels - I created a fan page at FB and advertised it in FB. It added me likes! BUT still no sale... Soon I will add coupon codes for fans!!
I am working now on a blog (very exited about it!!!) - and I believe sales will come eventually. I also read a lot of articles at ETSY that relate to this topic.

I think patience & consistent promoting are the way to have sales :)

GOOD LUCK TO US ALL
<3 <3 <3
Daphna
0 Likes

I always keep adding new and hopefully unique items..the more hooks in the sea, the more fish you may catch...:)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I have three pages of jewelry, but I sold just as much (or as little) with one page as I do with three. I don't think one page is good, but after that it really doesn't seem to matter.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

luxibloom, I think (forgive me) your photos would be better if you start with a close-up. Also, I'm quite confused with this item because it looks like two different pendants - which are you selling? The first photo doesn't do it justice because it's too far away for me to know what it is at first glance, and some people will just move on, not bother looking further.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/80370152/enchanted-fairy-tale-alice-and

I wonder, also, if using blue jeans as a background is restricting your demographic? I straight away thought - aha, she's selling to youngsters who wear jeans all the time. Now, maybe that is EXACTLY who you want to market to, in which case well done. But if it isn't, then maybe change the background?
0 Likes

LuxiBloom, you really need to improve on your photos. Have a look at other jewellery sellers and see what they do with photos - it's not much work but you just need a simple (or blank background). I use plain white background for my jewellery.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

niftyknits-I do try to do close-ups of my photo's but my camera won't allow me to get super close like I have seen others do. My husband and I decided to look into another camera. So thank you! I needed that advice for sure. I did use the jeans as a uniform type of look because I had two many different shots taken. I have to say I like the color contrast but prefer white too. I just don't have any white wall in my house! I think I have some work to do for sure. I still have wonderful products and have seen other shops in not great shap and they still sell???
chanchaia-I will work on my photo's for sure. I just need to figure out a strategy to get a white background? Other than a wall any suggestions?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

you could buy a sheet of white card or craft paper, fold it gently (not with a crease) into a chair, or on a table near a wall, so you get a continuous background - that'll do it.

look for a macro setting on your camera, they often look like a little flower.

there are lots of free photo editing softwares you can download. I used to use picasa, others use gimp. I bought photoshop elements eventually, but it was a big outlay. Anywhere i've got a very white background, it's because I've used editing software to remove the real background.
0 Likes
LacyTreasures
Inspiration Seeker

Heather, you give great advice. I am trying hard to improve my photos but it is tough... hardest thing I do!!

I make huge sales at shows but not on Etsy. Really want to be successful.

Am trying to promote my newest treasury and that is hard, too!

: D

Any advice is appreciated on my shop! Anyone? Thanks
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

abouth the camera, i started with a kodak easy share, its a cheap shabby litle thing. each camera has a flower somewhere in the menu, if you choose the macro modus you can take close ups.believe me)))
and i am with the others, maybe the jeans are not the best background. try taking more pics, also, i dont know if you use something for the pics, picassa its free on google, and you can crop, work on the light and so.
the best wishes from me.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Heather-I just knew that some backgrounds seem just too perfect. Thanks I got it. I haven't used photo shop before but I think it is time.

Darlene-I do really well at shows too! Sounds like we are in the same boat. I think great close up photo's could be a good thing!

Alina- I am thinking the jeans arn't a good thing. It really was just a quick way to view all the same photo's. I know I sure need to try picca on google. i will see after this weekend if I can improve the look. Wish me luck!

Darlene - I have another show this weekend so I am hoping it will cheer me up!:)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hi! i read through the comments and everything is really helpful.
As far as photography for your items i wrote a blog post on a few ways to have better product photography !
check it out!

http://intriguedbeing.com/?p=173
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.