Former_Member
Not applicable

Hoping this item sells for me! Thoughts?

Hopefully I've found my big listing! I'm really proud of some of these designs so I wanted to get other opinions. Thoughts? I would appreciate any feedback!! :)

https://www.etsy.com/listing/152582441/handmade-childrens-size-crochet-hat
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
17 Replies

Re: Hoping this item sells for me! Thoughts?

Personally I would list them as seperate items to fill up your shop faster too. Your hats look well made but your pricing seems very low to me. I would at least double the prices, don't be afraid to charge not only for your material costs but also to make a profit. Not trying to critique or offend but maybe just help you a bit, good luck with your new shop!
0 Likes

I would list them as separate items and raise the price
it all depends on you. It will help fill your shop if you list them individually and cut down the chance of some one ordering the wrong colored one.
I would also suggest that you take pictures in the daylight, outside and on a child so that people can see how the item looks while worn.

good luck
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thank you both!!
0 Likes

Definitely raise your prices. I see your price as £5.09. I would expect to pay at least £15 or £20 for an item like that.
I can agree that filling up your shop with different designs is a good idea, but should you add different colours of the same design to the same listing, perhaps have the first image showing one design on a nice white background, and then use a later image to show all of the colour choices so people can see them. Using a model is also great for showing off those hats, as it's nice to see shape and size to them.
Best of luck :)
0 Likes

I agree with the pricing. At $7.50 are you making any money?

A simple way to think about it, if a hat costs you $2 in materials, plus .19 in Etsy fees and .22 cents in PayPal fees, not to mention other business costs, you are now profiting $5.09 per hat sold. If a hat takes you an hour to make, then you are essentially paying yourself $5.09 an hour.

Don't put your price so low because you think it is more likely people will buy it. They may think the quality is poor at that price.

Hope that helps.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

It's really hard to tell what they are in the photo. As others have said, I'd list them separately, and photograph them against a plain background (white posterboard is easy) outside on a cloudy day. Natural light will do wonders for your photos. Good luck!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Agree with all the above... but you should consider international shipping too. It doesn't cost you any mor to offer the option so you should do it!
A lot of international buyers won't even see you in searches if you don't (i.e. I am in the UK and I have my searches set to only see people who deliver here)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hi Kayla
I totally agree with the other sellers. Definitely raise your prices; it needs to be something you can earn a living off one day; your time is very valuable (I cant knit anything, never mind a hat!) so I would say £15 - £20 for a one of a kind handmade piece is more like it :)
I would certainly separate the listings - more things in your shop means more chances of people finding you and a better chance of being found through seo. The photo doesn't show off your work very clearly which makes it hard for the buyer to see. Photo each one individually, and try to use all the photos you can for each listing (Etsy allows 5). Shoot on a white background using daylight and do shots that show the whole thing as well as some nice detail shots; you need to sell the item with your photography as the buyer cant touch it.
Finally, I would say that if you're wanting to do custom listings as well as selling those hats, create a separate listing with clear text for the main image. It could be text only saying "Custom Knitted Hat" for example. Then when a customer is searching hats on etsy, they'll know you can make one to order :)
Finally, if you can post internationally you open up your market to much more buyers - always a great thing :D
I hope that helps!
Good luck with your shop
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Do a separate listing for each style
Striped
Flower accent
solid color hat
Flower garland hat
ect.

Be sure to include a hat sizing chart. Explain how people can find their own hat size. You don't have to photograph every one of your hats on a model but I would photograph at least one for now and include that as the last picture in each listing so shoppers can see what your hats look like.

Also , if you are only selling one hat in the listing you definitely do not want a group shot as your first picture, that just confuses the buyer.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Another vote for raising the price and making separate listings. I like them. Good luck!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I think the hats are adorable.
I would list them separately and raise the prices.

Good Luck!!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jeez, girl.....$7.50 seems way to reasonable.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thank you all! This helps me tremendously!! I originally had the price low because I didn't want to seem too greedy, but now that I know people will pay more, I will! :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

They are lovely! Since you have many color options, I would suggest you had a picture like the last one I used in this listing: https://www.etsy.com/listing/152359751/handmade-bookbinding-headband-5-pairs?ref=shop_home_active
I just found myself not knowing what color I would choose if I haven't seen it.
Also, seeing the color options might be more appealing for the customer.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Also, I was thinking of making more clear which pattern is which, but reading comments I see they are suggesting different listings and I think this is a better idea.

Good luck! They are lovely!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thanks Anna! I will definitely do that :)
0 Likes
kzannoart
Inspiration Seeker

I also am confused by this listing, I can't tell if it's for one hat or a group of hats. The last thing you want to do is confused the buyer, they will not get what they expect and they may cancel the sale. List them seperately and I think the hat photos are better if someone or a manekin is wearing the hat , just to get an idea of how it fits.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.