Former_Member
The other day I was deep in the trenches of our Seller Handbook looking for a link to answer a question about selling wedding products. On my search for information I noticed that yes, many of our resources for sellers apply to the weddings category (ahem: http://www.etsy.com/blog/en/2010/etsys-guide-to-custom-work/), but only a small few of them specifically focus on providing advice or information for sellers that focus on this market. Wedding sellers on Etsy are abundant and those that are focused on creating products for the weddings industry encounter unique challenges and constraints. With your help I’d love to create a blog article for the Seller Handbook that offers some advice about selling in the weddings category. It will cover topics like:

-Getting started. How did you get started making items for the weddings category? Any unique hurdles when entering this industry? What advice would you give to someone just starting out?
-Shop policies and customer service. How do you rely on your shop policies as a seller of wedding products? Do you practice any unique customer service strategies?
-Creating custom items. How do custom items fit into your business?
-Photography. How does the product photography of wedding items differ? Have you noticed photography trends that work really well and appeal to your audience?
-Merchandising and resources. Do you follow along with the trends in the weddings industry? What resources do you use to find info to run your wedding business?
-Events. Do you attend wedding fairs or wedding focused events?

We’d very much love to hear your insight and advice and if we use your wise words, we’ll be sure to link back to your shop in the article! Thanks for the help!

Re: Etsy's Guide to Running an Online Wedding Biz - Help!

Hi-

I have been in business on Etsy for about two years now and am actually turning away brides-- and looking to hire help. This is what I have learned so far : )

1. Run your store as a true business, not a hobby. Give yourself a working wage. If you do not, you will burn yourself out.

2. Be very careful of your price point. Look at other etsy stores and see what they charge and why. Is there paper thicker and better quality? Is there more hand work? Did the shop owner forget to include paypal and etsy fees into her price point? Figure out your niche and throw out the bottom three price points-- and top three. Price yourself in the middle.

3. Have a contract. Brides are use to contracts for items like wedding invitations. Have one and use it.

4. Be able to say no. There is a lot of brides and grooms out there who want a deal and a lot of wedding blogs who tell them that Etsy owners will give big price breaks. Most of them do not understand the cost of your product and your overhead. Stick to your prices and know what your cost of goods really is.

5. Figure out who your bride is and what your market is. Develop products for that couple. Do not try to be all things to all people.

6. Take pictures. I doubled my sales just by putting up photos and taking down my graphics.

7. Do not be afraid to raise your prices.

8. Think your polices through and make sure your brides read them.

9. Do not work for free! Working on spec is done in the advertising world, not wedding world. Your price point doesn't include spec time. Your time is worth money! Be sure to value it yourself.

10. Have fun working with your clients. It will show in your work.

11. Treat clients like you would treat your best friend but remember there are some people who you can never make happy. Weddings can be stressful times.

12. Your clients might disappear. This is kind of a weird thing but as someone who books clients in advance, be aware that weddings do get cancelled for various reasons. I have a 2% wedding cancellation rate.

Good Luck!!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes

I do alot vintage inspired wedding favors on Etsy.
I think quality customer service is always important but I believe when dealing with brides every detail counts from the first correspondence to the finishing touches on the package. They want there special day to be aknowledged and celebrated and they want you to go the extra mile!
I customoise their samples (if they bother to order one, most bother don`t do the sample anymore and I attest this to adding a chunk of my positive feedback to my listing so that it is readily available for them to see).
I have done an indie wedding show and I have some wedding stuff in a couple of local shops but my wedding focus is mostly Etsy.
Look forward to hearing more wedding tidbits!
Thanks!
-Sandy
0 Likes
BestDayBridal
Inspiration Seeker

Hi everyone! Thank you all for this great information. I put my first few items up in the middle of January....and THEN started really noodling around and understanding the depth and breadth of the wedding niche on Etsy! It's mind blowing and humbling and wonderful to see all of the talent and passion and purpose out there!
This discussion thing is GREAT for me because I guess I just jumped in, and am now starting to understand how much there is to know and consider, from hard core business questions, to utilizing all the technology available (I'm a bit of a Luddite but I really hope to be brought up to speed quickly...I hardly know what a tweet is :( Anyway, I really appreciate everyone taking the time to share some of your experience.

I'm trying to get all of my materials together and I'm hoping that more of my accessory designs will see the light of day soon. My goal is to get a couple of items on each week, and figure in a year I'll have around one hundred items, I think that's a doable number, and not overwhelming:)

But, this first month has been so interesting and absorbing that I have to remind myself that I have a day job! This could become complete preoccupation.

I'm wishing everyone the best! Carry on and thanks for your words of wisdom!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hey guys! Love this topic, and I'm so happy to hear from stationers who are doing well. I do letterpress stationery. My biggest problem is that most people don't understand why it costs what it costs. I have had to start saying YES and doing some offset printing.

Photography is HUUUGE! especially to demonstrate the texture of my work. I recently created this piece, which was featured in Oh So Beautiful Paper.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/91755909/letterpress-indian-wedding-invitation?ref=pr_shop

I am working on more invitations, and hopefully people start buying them!
0 Likes
RBJohnson
Inspiration Seeker

Without intending to cater for brides, one bride liked a double pearl necklace and earing set for her and requested that I make 5 set of pearl earrings and necklaces with silver for her bridesmaids.

I laid them across my dining room table and took pictures with my iPhone camera and made the listing for 5 single pearl bridesmaid sets and someone else bought them within 30 minutes, so had to relist her one, which she never bought, but the next week someone else bought that custom set..

Through etsy I learned to take better pictures, I don't know how I sold the first item I sold on etsy.. LOL

Then learn how to add tags and recently I learned this VERY IMPORTANT thing on how people searched for items TITLES! Yes, Titles they are important, as this is what is used to find your shop and the first thing they see in an ETSY search or in their google search results.

So very now and then, perhaps once a month or every two months, I will search for my items, using the keywords I think brides would be using and if I don't see my items listed try to work on them to be found..

After this it Relisting orRenewing, as it does help bring it into the 'fresh' list.

Another thing that helps a store is early communication, we live in a very 'now' world and expect results fast. Same with responding to messages, try to check messages twice a day and respond as fast as you can.

The thing I learned the hard way is pricing, I use to charge just enough to cover my costs, but then realised I was actually making a loss after reading that I had to add in my time, etc... but didn't sell alot..

Then ever since increasing my prices, I have sold more, as woman then know the quality is good..

That's all I can think of for now..

Also all the best to those getting married, there's alot to prepare for ...

My most popular sets are:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/66318947/popular-fancy-single-pearl-bridal-or

http://www.etsy.com/listing/77327026/4-simple-elegant-pearl-bridesmaid-gift

http://www.etsy.com/listing/77329773/5-single-pearl-bridesmaid-necklaces
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Wow. My eyes have been really opened by this discussion. Even now as I write this I'm in a daze. I have so many questions and ideas running through my head. Biggest lesson on the night: I need more items. I guess it makes my shop look shady (for lack of a better word) with it being so empty.

My initial thinking was to see if I got any sales before I moved forward. But I must find my brides instead of having my brides find me.

Questions I would like answered:
- where to find inexpensive photo editing software. Free? Online?
- best blogs to look into
- when is the best time to get ready for bridal season

I'm really looking forward to this article and have already learned alot from the discussion. will we be seeing a bridal boot camp?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hi!

I used to be a wedding planner and started crafting items for my clients. Other brides wanted to order when they saw photos of my items and, thus, my shop was born.

A big key to my success has been participating in photo shoots. I often lend out my banners or create custom items for free for a photo shoot when I know there is a good photographer and they will be trying to get the shoot up on a big wedding blog. Not only do I get amazing photos of my products, but it is free publicity. I have not paid to advertise my shop anywhere, but I get a lot of traffic from blogs showing real weddings or styled shoots that my banners or flags have been a part of.

My advice to sellers trying to market to the wedding industry is to try to get your product familiar with wedding designers and photographers. Look on big wedding blogs (style me pretty, green wedding shoes, southern weddings, ruffled, etc) and find stylists and photographers you like. Reach out to them and introduce your product and let them know that you would love to donate your item for upcoming shoots that it would be a good fit for. When I was styling shoots, I often contacted etsy sellers to participate and almost always had wonderful experiences. You can always organize your own shoot too if you know a great photographer who would love to collaborate.

I think photos are really important in selling to brides and grooms. They don't just see an item- they are envisioning how it fits into their wedding day. I have seen customers much more gravitated toward items that have a bride or groom in the photo (if it is applicable). Or if you are seller cake toppers, have it on a real looking wedding cake. Selling flower girl accessories? Show them on a darling flower girl model. Professional quality photos are so helpful.

You can also contact wedding blogs about doing a giveaway. Some charge for this, others don't. That usually gets a lot of traffic to your shop.

Customization is HUGE for weddings. Brides want their wedding to be personal to them- they want it in their colors, with their initials, using the design from their invitation, etc. There is a big market for making any item personalized for a wedding.

With customization, be sure to have your turn around time plain and clear in the listing. I often have brides order super last minute without realizing there is a turn around time and then they pannick because it is a week before their wedding. Some brides order 8 months in advance though.

If you are doing something custom, it helps to ask them to send over a photo of their colors/inspiration. All brides have this- I like to match their design as much as possible.

Charge for personalization. It takes more time and effort- especially if you are sourcing something you don't have in stock. With weddings, customers are usually willing to pay more to make something customized- it's got that specialness factor for them.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Can't wait to read the article! I'm designing knitted shawls, stoles and capelets for the romantic bride - victorian style, flapper style, edwardian style ... and since style is important some brides love to send me a piece of the fabric their dress is made of - I think a kind of cooperation between dressmakers and shawlmakers would be wonderful in the wedding business, too -

http://www.etsy.com/listing/58961084/wedding-shawl-set-stole-hat-and-arm
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thank you Courtney!
0 Likes
lovenesting
Inspiration Seeker

I'm so excited to hear that Etsy is creating a handbook especially for us Wedding Sellers! I agree with Amanda that it gets a little lonely with all the excitement about holidays like Valentine's Day, Christmas and Mother's Day when our business tends to be a bit slower.

There are so many great things about selling in this category- Brides are excited and jubilant, and it's such fun to help them execute their vision. That said, it's a very different customer than other Etsy sellers are reaching out to. I don't get many repeat purchases since my Love Bird Wedding Cake Toppers are a one time deal. Instead, my job is to utterly delight them with that one time purchase so that they want to share their find with friends who may also be tying the knot.

I'd love to learn some strategies for driving that one time shopper to my storefront and helping make it simple and fun for her to make the decision to buy. I'm always trying to find a balance between offering a wide variety of product and creating an overload where it becomes too hard to decide and she clicks away.

Looking forward to hearing what all of you other talented sellers have to say on this and much more.

Aloha!

Becky
0 Likes

I'm a calligrapher, artist and engraver. I started my business at 18 years old about (yikes!) 32 years ago. Things are a lot different now, than they used to be, and Etsy has been a real plus, especially since most of my work is wedding related. My service and products just naturally go along with weddings.

My advice to anyone just starting, is to do what you love and to love what you do. You should be your biggest critic and your own biggest fan. It's what makes you better.

Shop policies should be clearly stated, and customer service needs to be perfect...like you are doing the work for your best friend. The thing about wedding work is that you rarely get repeat customers. They may order several things from you, but if your business is strictly wedding related, there won't be (or shouldn't be) any repeat business. This means that you need to count on happy customers to refer their friends, and excellent customer service is the key to making that happen.

Most of my work is for custom items, including hand lettered and hand painted marriage certificates, and hand painted aisle runners. I get lots of last minute requests. It's rare that I can't accommodate a rush order. The fact that I love what I do is a real advantage, so when a rush order comes in, it's not stressful to me at all....it's more like having a party going on in my head because I get to create something new!

Something to remember - people like to see their options. Not everyone has an imagination, so when you can do "anything they want", many customers won't know what they want. Make specific options, show them their options with good photos.

Wedding trends come and go. When someone requests something new, add it to your shop if you like it too!

Consider offering discount versions of your items. Every bride deserves to have a beautiful wedding, even on a budget.

I used to do some bridal shows, but they never paid off. I would sit for hours hand writing bride & grooms names in calligraphy (for free of course) on the back of a card with my business info on it. Lots of that calligraphy ended up on their invitations, or program covers, menus, favor tags, etc. But they never called for any work. It makes more sense to devote that time to your Etsy shop!

I'm attaching am item so that you can see the way I provide a "service", as opposed to an "item". Thank you for all of the information sharing!

http://www.etsy.com/listing/22022363/hand-calligraphy-envelope-addressing
0 Likes

There are wonderfully creative brides who shop on Etsy. I feel blessed that a few of them have found their way to my shop even though my shop is not a wedding shop per se.

Advice for doing custom work:
1. Be patient when it comes to decisions (in my case fabric decisions) but expect that your bride will be decisive. Ask for the info you need to be able to offer the best choices. I ask what are your colors? your theme? is there anything you don't like? I say things like: please tell me if I am not on your wavelength.

2. Allow time between making the items and shipping them to photograph them. The photos can then become the basis for your next listing. Custom set of... the photos show examples.

3. If you have an expensive item that brides seem to want but haven't been able to budget for the whole wedding party as they would like, see if you can redesign it or scale it down in such a way as to give them the product they desire at the price they can do. With a little redesign, I was able to get my $12 luggage tags down to $4 each when purchased in qty.

4. Don't forget the DIY brides! Another way to work with the bride on a budget is to help her make it herself. In my case, that means selling sewing patterns. For you it may mean selling the supplies she needs along with a tutorial, or just the tutorial. Since you have made hundreds of your item, your experience and tips are valuable.

I hope that helps a little. My experience with brides here has been totally positive.
0 Likes

Finally! I agree about being left out of the holidays, since many of us wedding sellers make custom items that aren't a one time present purchase we don't get as much holiday traffic.

I've had my shop open for almost exactly 2 years now ( 2 years in March!) and there have been massive differences in my two years of experience on Etsy as a wedding invitation seller. Some things I've found to be helpful:

1. Make sure you respond quickly to messages, and with changes to digital proofs. The brides really appreciate it! Take the time to notice the little things, say there is a different address from their purchased deposit and their final payment, make sure to ask before you mail their order!

2. That being said, for custom work as everyone has been saying above, ALWAYS get a deposit before you begin anything. I can not count how many times in the beginning I would get excited and design a whole invitation suite for people that never even returned the first message. Always give low resolution proofs. I had a few instances also in the beginning where I would send high resolution proofs, or send a sample without a watermark and those people never returned. It makes me nervous and think the worst, that they took my design for free.

3. Do provide samples! It isn't very cost efficient to make one invitation set, but in the end those people will come back for a full order at a rate of around 75%. I charge for my samples so I know that the buyer understands how to pay and purchase listings on Etsy, and will be accountable if they start a full order.

4. You never know what you are going to get! Sometimes I get brides who are very quick and not very picky. They give me their information and colors, are fine with what I come up with, and approve their order for printing right away. Then there are the "bridezillas" who end up taking 4 months to nitpick at their design and colors, constantly having you change things "just so they can see how it looks". You have to be prepared to deal with both kinds of brides, along with all of the regular ones!

5. Don't get discouraged!! I admit I got to a point in my first year where I was getting no views and no orders, and sort of just gave up and never even checked Etsy every day or made any new designs, or relisted. I must've got motivated at some point though, I made a ton of new designs, took new photos many times, re worded my listings, improved my tags. It took A LOT of time but I believe it is because of those couple months of constant 8 hour days spent on Etsy improving my shop that I have the success that I have now, where I can't even keep up with requests and have a wait list 6 months out already this year!

My last bit isn't a tip, but more of a wondering why people think this is okay: I have had a whole bunch of people contact me who then link me to another etsy seller's shop and invitation design, and ask if I can make that for them. Do people not understand we are not all one big shop, but many little ones? They don't seem to understand, and when I tell them no, that is not my design and if they would like me to make them a custom design that would be similar but not exactly the same (since we obviously do not all have the same graphics and styles!) they will have to pay a custom design fee. They usually never message me back after that. Are they just trying to get something that is more costly from a cheaper shop? Or maybe that shop is booked? I find it strange...

~ Rozena
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Wow, what a delight to come across these posts, so much information , so many questions my head is buzzing (pardon the pun)
I am also new to the wedding world as a beekeeper i sort of just stumbled into wedding favours when asked by a friend to supply some for her.
It has taken time to get my first orders and I almost gave up at one point with little views and no sales but after a lot of reading and adjusting my shop with a tweak here and a tweak there it is starting to be noticed.
So any help will be welcome

Pam
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

It began long long ago in a far off land... really it did ! I am Canadian and I studied floral design in Gouda Netherlands (like the cheeses)
I guess it was not that long ago.. perhaps 16 years ago.
I started my own fresh wedding flowers business when I arrived back home after my studies abroad. It worked really well with being a Mom because I could work from home. My husband is an officer of the law and worked crazy shifts so working from home was a huge benefit for building our marriage and a family.. sounds perfect doesn't it!!!
Well, after 3 weddings a weekend 52 weeks a year then through the kid in there and have a cop in a van driving around fresh flowers it can be tense!!
( just the cop driving can be tense enough) not to mention the perishable nature, lack of control over quality once your product arrives and having to have peony in every season. Never mind our frigid winters !! the stress adds up and the sleep disappears !

I am a florist and alway's will be.. so that is when I turned to Etsy! I have been watching the vintage trend for a few years now.. the trickle effect into Canada has started and I wanted to find my feet again, but with something that does not have to survive on water.
Shazzzamm! Enter paper flowers! and fabric upcycle, feathers, vintage brooches... and the list grows every trip to the bibles for missions store!

Many of the previous writers have mentioned the most popular blogs to follow I think it is also important to follow companies which sell similar product so that you can learn from them how to market and price your items accordingly.
I have loved the posts here in the handbook which encourage a proper price tag. It drives me crazy to see something that must have taken an artist hours to create sell for so little. We have to uphold our crafts!

Magazines can teach you a lot about photography and following some great wedding photographers alway's sparks my creativity when taking photos of my own products. Don't be surprised if you see me at the next fair dragging around a box full of bouquets and asking the ferris wheel fella to "just hold it for a few seconds" so I can take a few great shots of my bouquet! LOL.
A great photo is worth 1000 words. It is usually the first question I have for my brides ... well not the first but it is in the top 10.
DO you have an inspiration board or some website photos you can send me so that I can see your dream in pictures??
Almost every bride has one .. just look on pinterest!
It is a great way to get inside their heads and study the patterns they lay out in pictures ... not like line patterns but the general style they lean towards - do any bouquets have feathers, tendrils, bling, satin handles or twine wrap ... all of those patterns.
Sometimes when they don't know where to start I ask them to tell me the things they don't like!! (usually by going thorough wedding flowers magazines) because in all the nay saying you can unearth what they do like .. and boy are they grateful ! It sucks when you are just floating on the wind trying to decide wedding decor when you really don't know how to figure out what you want!!!
I will also let you know I have the etsy SEARCH adds words set to renew each week.. it is a minimal expense and in the wedding industry that is a smart investment. ALSO if you have not figured it out yet .. yes you can get an ESTY wedding showcase, you just have to stay up till midnight to grab your spot .... refresh, refresh, refresh!

Blessings on your Etsy adventures!!
Melissa
0 Likes

What a great discussion!

Thank you all for these awesome articles about wedding and custom orders.
I create custom wedding tree guest books and noticed all of your brilliant ideas!

can't wait to use them!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I have a question about pricing for wedding invitations. Is it better to post with the price per peice or for the minimum numbers of invitation. For example, post at 2.85 each or for 285.00 for a suite of 100?
0 Likes

Hi Nickey,
i just started a few weeks ago listing a bridesmaid , soutache cocktail rings that was first specialy designed for a press members of celebrties gift lounge as Oscars and Globe Golden , then i had the idea to offer a custom order Cocktail ring collection , i did'nt get many succes yet , but i think it will be fun to start an experience like this.
I'm use to design a one of a kind wedding jewelry and i have a special category in my shop .
here is one of my bridal custom order listing:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/90034508/wedding-bridesmaid-cocktail-ring-set-the
0 Likes

Within the last year, I have started adding more and more wedding items. One of my first items were my Wood Guest Books. The woodland/rustic/outdoor look is very popular right now and my guest books are great for these styles.
After adding my guest books, I started adding table numbers, wooden banners, etc.
My plan is to also start adding real wood wedding invitations! Very fun and very unique!
I have attended two bridal shows this year as a spectator to scope them out and get ready for next year. They are pricey, but one big order could pay for the whole booth!
Photography is one thing I struggle with. I usually take my photos on a white backdrop to make them nice and clear. But with wedding items, it's nice to see the product at an actual wedding. I would love to work with a local photographer to make this happen!
90% of my business is custom...esp. for weddings. So I have to be prepared for rush orders and crazy deadlines...I love it :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I got started when one of my "cousins-in-law" asked for me to make some creations for her wedding. It was such a great opportunity to get started and I got great feedback from everyone (luckily I was there so I could talk to them in person.) Now I'm trying to make more custom cookie creations that lean towards more of a wedding feel. Looking forward to how this season goes!
http://www.etsy.com/listing/90839379/fleur-de-lis-cookies-cream
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I don't have advice but I have a question - I was approached to make custom wedding invitations. She had a specific theme in mind for the photo - a cowboy hat and flowers. I had never done invitations, I had no idea what to charge, but I went for it. She loves what I came up with and has ordered them. I would like to offer the same thing on Etsy but I have no idea how to do that. How do you explain - I'll take whatever picture you want? And how do the Etsy charges work on a custom item like that? Do you have to pay twenty cents per invitation?? Also, besides invitations, reply cards and thank you notes, what other stationary items are used?

Thanks for the help.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hello, I have recently set up my etsy shop selling hand cut 3D framed pictures that are ideal wedding gifts. The images can be personalised to the bride and groom. How can I get into the bridal market as wedding gifts rather than items for the wedding party to wear? Any advice on how best to advertise or word my titles would be greatly appriciated. Thank you
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I am so glad you are looking at the subject of weddings as the advice you give on general issues has been very helpful. I have not been going long in my little venture to make unique tiaras and bridal hairpieces as well as bridal jewellery and so I am very grateful for any advice that might help me increase sales.
From my limited experience I would say that one of the key things to making a sale is to take excellent photographs as this is the only visual link your customer has to a very important, and possibly expensive item. Yet taking photos of crystals and pearls is very difficult. I have found that my good camera on the macro setting is best. I have also found that, showing the item on a mannequin with hair helps a lot. I have two wigs for my mannequin - one blonde and one dark. I think this will help customers to see what the headpiece will look like on themselves. The right background is also very important - I use dark grey wherever I can but did experiment with white and other colours. My advice is to take heaps of photos of every item, then check them on a large screen and delete immediately if they are blurred or fuzzy. Try different background to see what works for you, but avoid fuss and clutter - don't use additional props over and above a mannequin and perhaps a veil for tiaras.

I also believe that there should be some variety in what you offer. Not all brides can afford your top of the range items, so some more basic tiaras can boost sales, and made well and different, they can still get you known.

I have not attended any wedding fairs as they cost a huge amount, but do think they are important to get you noticed, if you can afford it.

Shop policies should be crystal clear, especially on your returns policy - I do not accept returns on items made at the request of a customer - after all, you have made that item to their specifications.

Pricing an item is difficult on two scores - firstly, it is not easy to work out the price of materials - actually knowing how much wire and how many tiny crystals or pearls went into the creation, and secondly, there is so much competition that you need to ensure your prices are competitive.

These are all key areas to focus on for anyone starting out - not easy.
0 Likes

I sort of fell into the wedding industry through this shop. I had no idea how many of my customers would be brides! I think that the biggest hurdle is custom orders. Brides are very particular, and almost every piece that I do for a bride is custom. Which means that I almost always have to order new gems or components just for their order. This leads to challenges with timing (waiting for supplies to arrive, the time to make the item, the time it takes to get it to the customer) and cash flow. Always ordering new gems is fun, but it gets expensive!

The advice that I would you give to someone just starting out would be to develop your own style, but be flexible when working with brides. I find that most brides contact me initially because they like the style of my jewellery. But then they want the pieces changed slightly to suit their own style, or the style of their wedding. This is the beauty of working directly with the designer.

Have a clear custom order policy. You need to decide early on whether or not you will accept returns or exchanges, and how you will accept payment. Because I often need to order supplies up front, I always take full payment on the item when the order is placed. That protects me, and tells me whether or not the customer is serious.

I haven't changed my photography style for wedding items, but my goal is to show my pieces on real models down the road. I think that would be most effective for brides-to-be. As with all online sales, photos are of the utmost importance and need to be clear, bright and evoke some emotion. Brides are often emotional about their wedding details. If you can get the bride to imagine herself in that necklace, and feel excited about it, you've got the sale.

As far as trends are concerned, I do pay attention to wedding trends, particularly colours and styles. Magazines are a great resource for this, as are wedding web sites. I then use key words in my tags and titles, such as the year's colours, to help brides find my jewellery.

One final note: I recently opened a second jewellery shop, focused solely on weddings. This will allow me to market that shop specifically to brides, and advertise in the right places. Some of my very favourite customers have been brides, and it's amazing to think that my jewellery is included in such an important event in someone's life.
0 Likes
EderaJewelry
Inspiration Seeker

Hi Nickey!
I began creating wedding jewelry several years ago after joining Etsy. I create very romantic handmade lace designs, but I didn't venture into bridal jewelry until I started receiving requests from brides on Etsy to adapt my designs to wedding colors. Once I started doing that my business really took off, and wedding jewelry now represents the bulk of my sales.

-Custom work is a big part of my business. It's wonderful to be able to work one-on-one with brides to create a perfect piece for their wedding day. I feel like customer service and communication are so important when working in the bridal industry, as a wedding is such a big event in a person's life. My custom work process has several stages, starting with an initial conversation with the client about design ideas, progressing to doing a sketch and providing images of supplies. Once I begin work on a design, I provide work-in-progress photos to show how it is coming together, and images of the completed design in the final Etsy listing. Brides really seem to appreciate the communication through out--there are no unpleasant surprises or miscommunications then.

-My photography has changed over time as I've focused on wedding jewelry. I started out photographing work on a dark background, but have gravitated towards a lighter background. This formula has worked well for me and has become a bit of my trademark:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/93012637/pearl-rhinestone-bridal-earrings-ivory
I have also started taking hi-res photos of the designs on a plain white background to have on-hand, as I occasionally get requests from wedding magazines for images to include in their publications, and this seems to be their preferred format.

-While I try to keep my designs less trendy and more timeless, I do keep an eye on certain wedding trends, such as popular color schemes and the styles of wedding dresses, to make sure that my jewelry designs will mesh well with what brides are wearing this season.

Hope this info helps!
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.