Etsy Insights: How to make your products more giftable

Hi! I’m Lindsay and I’m the Home & Living Category Manager on Etsy’s Merchandising team. I’m excited to share some insights to help you take advantage of the holiday gifting season.

It’s no surprise that gifting is the number one priority for shoppers this time of year. But what does that mean for you as a shop owner? 

For this week’s Etsy Insight, I want to offer some tips for making your products more “giftable.”

First, scan your product assortment and think about which items make sense to market as gifts. If nothing immediately stands out, think about how they might be repackaged with a different perspective. For example, if you primarily sell smaller individual items, consider bundling and offering them as a gift set. Or, if you sell larger, more expensive items, consider creating a smaller, more giftable version, or perhaps a related accessory.

Once you are ready with your gifting assortment, the next step is getting eyes on your items. When searching for gifts, shoppers tend to use specific recipient-based search terms, such as “grandmother gift”, “nurse gift”, or “chef gift.” You likely have already envisioned what type of audience would enjoy your products, and now, it’s about helping them find you. Review your tags to make sure you are targeting relevant recipients, interests, and hobbies.

Next, think about how you can give shoppers peace of mind. The holidays can be hectic, and many shoppers don’t want to have to worry about whether or not a gift will arrive in time, and what it will look like when it gets there. Offering gift wrap gives shoppers the option of sending the gift directly to the recipient, which is especially helpful when a holiday date is fast approaching. Be sure to include photos of the product packaging and to clearly communicate fulfillment and shipping estimates so that shoppers can feel confident in their purchase.

Finally, don’t discount the magic of the holidays and the power of great customer service. Shoppers are often excited to tell the story behind the gift they are giving, and those who have a positive experience with you are more likely to tell their family and friends- a great way to acquire a repeat customer, and even gain some new ones!

Do you have any tips for making products more gift-friendly? What criteria do you consider when shopping for a gift? 

49 Likes
30 Replies
WearYourWild
Community Member

Re: Etsy Insights: How to make your products more giftable

I always add the tags "gift under 30". "gift under 50". " or gift under 100" to my listings.

30 Likes
adventacular
Community Member

I've been curating slime gift sets for my shop. I try to think of who the recipients are and I include them in my tags.

3 Likes
nevita
Community Member

Thank you for the tags ideas 

3 Likes
TheSewingGin
Community Member

Thanks for the ideas.

3 Likes
VixenBrushStudios
Community Member

I definitely thought you meant age and not cost. Gave me quite the chuckle; some gifts are for all ages! 

7 Likes
DreamsAboutSummer
Community Member

Thanks!!!

1 Like
ShaysCreations1
Community Member

I am new and I hope you don't mind me using that. I have all my items under that. I will check out your shop as well. Thank you. 

0 Likes
SixTails
Community Member

I try to highlight why my dog leashes are great gifts in descriptions. Not just for the dogs but also for all those dog lovers out there :-)

5 Likes
Grandmalay
Community Member

Thank you for the tag suggestions!

1 Like
finenook
Community Member

thanks

1 Like
LocoTrends
Community Member

I'm selling handmade scarves which are fantastic gifts for women as well as for a men. This year I made matching headbands which are a great addition to each item. I hope the customers will love them as much as I loved creating them. I also came up with Oversized Hooded Scarves. Those are just really fun to wear. :) #giftforwomen #giftformen 

3 Likes
HandPaintedPetals
Community Member

The print on this is soooo small, it's very slow to read!  But good ideas here -- thanks for that!

I'll be updating with wine glass +carafe gift sets, glasses + wood wine box, etc -- better get busy!

3 Likes
92shirts
Community Member

Great advice. All my items are suitable for gifts, and I take the items as such. Happy holidays! 

2 Likes
KnottinghamDesigns
Community Member

If I have someone inquire about purchasing multiples of my bowls, I offer a coupon discount because I will not be using all of the built-in shipping costs. Then I like to surprise them with gift-ready packaging. So far, my customers have been very appreciative.

Thanks for the tagging tips! I will be adjusting some of mine today!

3 Likes
euromondofaidate
Community Member

Rif.: Etsy Insights: How to make your products more giftable

Hello, thanks for your advide 

3 Likes
lizpotz
Community Member

Do you think the way you package/ship items make them more "giftable" or, do the keywords you use to sell the viewer make it more valid as a gift and able to be sold to the consumer?

2 Likes

Hi Liz! That’s a great question. I would say it’s a combination of both. 

Keywords are helpful in initially getting your item in front of shoppers, especially those who don’t have a specific gift in mind and are looking for some inspiration. For example, a shopper looking for a gift for their sister might type in a broad query such as “gift for her”, and discover your beautiful earrings, though they maybe weren’t looking specifically for earrings at the start of their shopping mission. Keep in mind though that keywords are only useful as long as they are accurate and relevant to your item (a couch or a wedding dress is not likely to be purchased as a gift no matter how many gift-related keywords are attached to it!). 

Packaging your items so that they’re ready to be gifted (for example, in a pouch or box, or on a piece of cardstock) helps communicate that the quality is polished and professional, and can give shoppers peace of mind when purchasing for someone else. You can use your listing photos to show off the item in its final packaging. This will help the shopper better understand what they or the intended recipient will receive. 

Hope this answers your question!

5 Likes
CardsyGB
Community Member

Thank you. These are some great ideas! :)

2 Likes
Makramianki
Community Member

Dot.: Etsy Insights: How to make your products more giftable

I am learning so much. I know I have made lots of mistakes but thanks such nice forums I learn a lot. Thank you for such amazing tips. Warm greetings, Aga. :)))

4 Likes
EcolucciDesigns
Registered Member

Super nice ideas! Thanks for sharing all!

1 Like
DreamsAboutSummer
Community Member

Thanks for ideas!!!

0 Likes
MyMemoriesCollection
Community Member

Some great tips, thank you. 

0 Likes
SeeYouLeatherES
Community Member

thanks!!

0 Likes
FreshRetroGallery
Community Member

Thankfully, many like my family tree charts as gifts for in-laws, grandparents, men, women, children and babies! :)

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.